advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Not sure about leeks on a full English?

Off for a bit of culture tonight to see "An Inspector Calls" in Nottingham (mainly as the boy has it on his English syllabus).

Early dinner at a nearby Italian (chain) before, either Prezzo or Bella Italia.

The Wife took eldest Granddaughter to see ‘An Inspector Calls’ on Thursday.

- they did Pizza Express I think :)

re: leeks with a full English breakfast - my Dad, who was a chef in the Army used to put leeks with our cooked breakfasts when I was growing up.
I assumed it was a normal thing, but most folks think it is odd. I maintain that the leeks work well with bacon/sausage etc. The Wife thinks it is disgusting.

The Wife took eldest Granddaughter to see ‘An Inspector Calls’ on Thursday.

- they did Pizza Express I think :)

re: leeks with a full English breakfast - my Dad, who was a chef in the Army used to put leeks with our cooked breakfasts when I was growing up.
I assumed it was a normal thing, but most folks think it is odd. I maintain that the leeks work well with bacon/sausage etc. The Wife thinks it is disgusting.

I think they'd work well. Not sure about boiled though. Gently fried in butter with the black pudding could be a good thing

Leeks simmered in a pan, made with a white milk/flour sauce was always done when we had bacon and eggs at home growing up, was totally normal to us, was very nice indeed I used to think.

@PhilofCas

You are the first person who has ever shared a leek/breakfast history. Ever.

My Dad would also make fried bread that was first soaked in milk…

quite delicious, and a different take on plain fried bread. It didn’t half spit when Dad dropped a piece of bread dripping with milk into very hot fat in a frying-pan

One of my Tupperware standbys that’s always in the fridge is thin sliced leeks sweated with butter and thyme. For taste or decoration or both.

@PhilofCas

You are the first person who has ever shared a leek/breakfast history. Ever.

My Dad would also make fried bread that was first soaked in milk…

quite delicious, and a different take on plain fried bread. It didn’t half spit when Dad dropped a piece of bread dripping with milk into very hot fat in a frying-pan
Yep, when I tell friends this, they look at me gone out :).

Another Sunday morning favourite growing up was proper oxtail and cow heel, now that was an amazing smell (was left bubbling away all night) then taste, with fresh uncut white loaf with a crispy top, amazing!

Mother and father had a shop (we lived there), he was a butcher and had any meat you could think of, he bought it direct from an abattoir, great times.

Had to look Jollof up ( as intended). Often have pigs foot soup. Excellent if some fresh mushrooms are added.

Fitted new front wipers to the Qashqai. £19.72 for a decent pair of Bosch specific to the car, pretty good price as I normally use Eurocar parts, but the same ones were £33.99, and no discount below 40 quid (and even then, only 5%).

Declined their "we fit for £7.50" option. Easy clip fit, took all of 2 minutes. Me thinks £225 per hour is slightly excessive?

Nice stroll along the Macclesfield canal towpath. No narrowboats moving, they’d need ice breakers. The canal is frozen right across.

Identified another bungalow that might suit us.
Better music room.
Not sure whether it has a view.
it has potential. Wife agrees (!)

Waiting on youngest Son to arrive, back from his wild camping trip. Still don’t know where he ventured off to, I guarantee it would have been jolly cold in the middle of nowhere.

Wife has made a huge cauliflower cheese (with added leeks :) ) but we are not eating till Boy arrives…

advertisement

Back