advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I get what you're saying about the strap, lots of possibilities! I went for the all black option for this one but really like the green as an alternative. Maybe, if I see one cheap enough I may indulge...
Indeed. It's a shame that they have gone up, until about 2 years ago they were £50-60. At that you could have bought the set, including the rather unusual desert beige one if you wanted be complete the collection. At £100 a go, maybe not.

Anyone bought one of the many watches advertised on social media?

There seems to be a raft of small companies selling nice looking watches using either a Seiko or a generic Swiss auto movement for not extortionate money. Granted they're not for brand flexing down at the golf club but some of them are really nice looking and seem decent quality.

There seems to be a raft of small companies selling nice looking watches using either a Seiko or a generic Swiss auto movement for not extortionate money. Granted they're not for brand flexing down at the golf club but some of them are really nice looking and seem decent quality.
Not seen them. But with a generic movement they will last as long as anything else with a Seiko/ETA, which is to say 20 years before repair, so if you like them, why not? It has to be more interesting than the usual brands being waved about at the golf club.

There’s a watch maker about 12 miles from my home - Marloe - that I’m intrigued by. But what makes me wary is that their watches - like so many others - may be nigh on impossible to sell on later (used) should I need to. That’s what I like about the established brands: you can always sell them on and might even make money on them.

I have a 34mm Air-King, it's a pretty little watch but it looks kind of tiny on me 'cause I have an 8 1/2" wrist circumference. Still, I like it and I'm wearing it today. But I've had people mistake it for a boy's size watch before.

That's what I had for 42 years (before it got nicked about 2 months ago). On my wrist it looked perfect, solid and shapely but discreet and understated. Just measuring my wrist circumference: 17cm, divide by 2.54, = 6 3/4 inches. So it all makes sense.

D'ye mind me asking, what are those two Seiko models there bazza ?
I think the one further left is a new model Alpinist in black. It looks very much like my sarb 017, which is green. If it's not, it's defini tely from the same series. The other one is from the Prospex family too, again a recent model, I think.

I NEVER bother to set the date on my automatics.

If I don't wear them for a couple of days then the date will need setting yet again, and although it's quick enough to set, it just isn't important enough to me, and, if the date is really important, I would have to double-check for safety's sake.

The date windows are also so small, that I struggle to read them, so even if it is set correctly, not much point.

Looking at those four watches made me realise how Rolex really set the style for almost all other watches. Each one has a case that is a perfect replica of the Rolex case.

The date windows are also so small, that I struggle to read them, so even if it is set correctly, not much point.

Agreed. I've never seen the point of day/date complications. I want a watch to tell me the time. I know what day it is, and, as you say, they're usually too small to read, unless they have one of those horrid Rolex-style cyclops thingies.

Looking at those four watches made me realise how Rolex really set the style for almost all other watches. Each one has a case that is a perfect replica of the Rolex case.

The Sinn case is miles away from the Rolex Oyster Paul

Its a shame Rolex don't use AR coating on there crystal as you can see from this shot

Here they are all together bar the Hamilton

I think the one further left is a new model Alpinist in black. It looks very much like my sarb 017, which is green. If it's not, it's defini tely from the same series. The other one is from the Prospex family too, again a recent model, I think.

Yeah I can see the Alpinist thing now you mention it. The white faced one looks not unlike the SARB 035(?) I have somewhere, but couldn't swear to it - hence the query :)

advertisement

Back