advertisement

3D Printing

Oof, its one of those products where you have to ask them for the price, so I cannot afford it lol.

Oof, its one of those products where you have to ask them for the price, so I cannot afford it lol.
Wait, what’s ‘one of those products’?

Decent hobby SLA printers start around a few hundred (e.g. Elegoo Mars 3), and FDM are in the same ballpark (e.g. Prusa Mini). About the same cost as entry level foo, but actually useful.

Maybe I misunderstood the comment…

Perhaps. The bit of kit you linked to looks very expensive and you have to email them for a price. As they say if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

Looks good though.

I got confused I am referring to 9designs and his awesome printer. We seem to be off track here.

I kind of guessed ;) ....... Yes it was/is expensive. probably not justified but I have my own limited company, so was a business investment and I have produced and sold parts from it. I was after something that had a good size bed and was able to print the carbon fibre loaded materials, plus have dual head/materials. Which tends to mean you need one in an enclosure. With the rapid development of these machines I'm sure cheaper kit printers are catching up.

It looks amazing, did I read it can do metal>?
Yes they released a metal upgrade kit for 1200 quid...... Sounds great, but once printed you have to send the part away I believe for curing. I think the polymer agent gets melted away and the metal sintered together or something like that.

Its amazing though no? I have been thoroughly fascinated with 3D printing such an amazing tech for geeks.

LOL.... Guess I'm use to it, think I sent my first part to AARK for SLA printing over 25 years ago, was a trigger switch and housing for a power tool while I was working for Bosch. (Atco-Qualcast to be exact)
To have similar abilities to make stuff at home is pretty cool and very handy :)

That said I'm more proud of my CNC router/mill I designed and made myself :)

ok @9designs, we need to see the CNC now :D

I've just finished building my workshop, hence starting this thread and taking the plunge on the Prusa. But I'm all ears for other 'critical' workshop kit :)

nice!

Without going too off-topic, which materials are you machining on there?
Woods, nylon, aluminium and I guess if I took it steady mild steel. (Other than taking the corner of steel clamp by mistake I've not really tried..... only noticed afterwards ! )
20,000 rpm water cooled spindle, can run 24/7, power is 3 phase from an inverter. Compressed air and mist cooling. 3 axis (could add 4th and 5th) 1100 x 690 cutting area about 150 in Z ... Control by a laptop running MACH3.
Probably the most useful tool I've ever had !

Next job, LP12 Sub Chassis and another motor mount in Aluminium.

Still waiting for my Prusa Mini to despatch, but in the meantime… have people had any experience with FDM compatible materials and suitability for contact with liquids, and water-tightness, I.e. a container for a water-based solution?

Yeah I wouldn't be hoping for any kind of water tightness, its literally layers of very thin material you can suck air through it.

If you get good layer bonding I’d expect it to be okay, not tried but I can fill something with water tomorrow.

Yeah I wouldn't be hoping for any kind of water tightness, its literally layers of very thin material you can suck air through it.
I haven’t had that experience. I’ve even printed in vase mode (single layer wall) and that holds water. I’d imagine there’s a problem (settings or hardware) if prints aren’t water tight.

It might well hold water but most plastics used in 3D printing are hydroscopic they might well hold water for a while, but they are slowly absorbing it.

that’s why 3D prints are not recommended for any kind of kitchen utensil.

advertisement

Back