advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I got a copy last week - I think the arrangements and Konitz's playing are rather lovely, especially the live side. This is definitely one I'll play quite regularly..

I wonder why it's so heavily discounted. Perhaps this one got passed over by buyers because it's not a Blue Note?

I've just stuck one in the basket. Just need to find £3.50's worth of something to buy now...
IMO it's worth having just for this - joyous stuff.

And I love Chet Baker's bum note when he comes in after Konitz's solo! (at 3:09)

I got a copy last week - I think the arrangements and Konitz's playing are rather lovely, especially the live side. This is definitely one I'll play quite regularly..

Many are complaining that it sounds old fashioned, whatever that means; maybe it's not hifi enough. Personally I love this album, it's part of jazz history without necessarily being a game changer. Then again Konitz is one of those players who is always worth listening to, no matter what the context - I wish Verve would reissue With Strings. And weren't a few tracks used in a 70s NY era Woody Allen film?

Last edited:
Oh... those guys... :rolleyes:

"not hifi enough" was the clue. Regarding Konitz, I'd have liked to have seen him in the 70s with Warne Marsh (Braxton's hero). There are some Live at Montmartre LPs on Storyville that are excellent that used to be fairly obtainable and cheap. Think I saw them listed at Jazz House recently.

I had a look at ordering the Edkins at Acoustic Sounds and am still in shock at the cost of shipping to the Uk - and their system still doesn’t take into account Uk vat. $39.95 + $58 postage + VAT once it arrives. Since “Brexit” the cost of delivery from USA has become prohibitive.

Slightly off-topic but the Edkins/Cohearent record is due to be released imminently. It's available from Acoustic Sounds and the In Groove for pre-order. I doubt we'll see them over here...

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/175354/Kirsten_Edkins-Shapes__Sound-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

https://www.theingroove.com/products/pre-order-kirsten-edkins-shapes-sound-cohearent-records-lp

Also slightly off topic. I saw in Mike's latest video that he mentions an Eddie Lockjaw Davis & Shirley Scott box set of their Prestige LPs mastered by Bernie Grundmann.

I have two of the titles already so not for me but looks like a nice set and I guess £100 for four LPs isn't terrible.

https://www.theingroove.com/product...davis-with-shirley-scott-cookin-4x-lp-box-set

Also slightly off topic. I saw in Mike's latest video that he mentions an Eddie Lockjaw Davis & Shirley Scott box se
I have two of the titles already so not for me but looks like a nice set and I guess £100 for four LPs isn't terrible.

Ready to pre-order at Juno, but with a price tag more like £160 inc postage. Limited to 5,000 copies worldwide.

Ready to pre-order at Juno, but with a price tag more like £160 inc postage. Limited to 5,000 copies worldwide.

Quite a jump on the $129 pre-order at The In Groove!

I'm listening to my copy of Cook Book now and really enjoying it. Shamefully I had to look up Jerome Richardson who plays tenor and flute - despite only leading a handful of sessions for Savoy and Prestige he played on hundreds of great records including a bunch of Mingus albums on Impulse. Not sure how I'd missed that!

Another slightly off topic post in this thread:

I'm sure others have seen his, but Honest Jon's have quite a lot of 1970s non TP/ classic Blue Notes (NOS I Guess) with some crossover to the TPs and Classics releases.

https://honestjons.com/shop/category/Jazz/New_fresh_back_in

It perhaps a sign of the times that firstly they're far from cheap and, secondly, some of the records on offer are those several hare have found not as good as recent issues - the Pathe Marconi editions for example which I've now relics with TPs and classics.

I'm far from being an editions geek - are some of the worth checking out? I'm tempted by Jackie McLeans One Step Beyond... even though I know it makes more sense financially to wait /hope for a BN reissue at some time in the future.

May be some is NOS, but I have not seen some of these TP’s in the shop when I have been although I Note when I have asked about something in the past, first they have said they don’t have a copy and then they do manage to find one in the basement. I’m not sure what they mean by the ones marked ‘one-off’? One copy only? Which would infer they have more than one copy of the ones not marked this way. I’m guessing they have been offered and in this case bought a collection from someone? They don’t usually have much in the way of secondhand records in the shop as they mainly deal in new records / reissues and their one releases.

Luckily I have most in of these listed in TP’s, Music Matters or the Pathe-Marconi versions (these are often underrated). One Step Beyond is a little pricey though depending on condition. I need a decent vinyl copy of this, but I think I will hang on for a Classic. There are a couple of the Japanese Pressing I would like, but unfortunately all are the more expensive ones. Would have loved a copy of Royal Flush, but that is only a CD.

I’m not feeling too well at the moment, but if I improve I’ll try to get to the shop next week to check out the price V condition, although I might be too tempted to part with money for the more expensive ones. :rolleyes:

May be some is NOS, but I have not seen some of these TP’s in the shop when I have been although I Note when I have asked about something in the past, first they have said they don’t have a copy and then they do manage to find one in the basement. I’m not sure what they mean by the ones marked ‘one-off’? One copy only? Which would infer they have more than one copy of the ones not marked this way. I’m guessing they have been offered and in this case bought a collection from someone? They don’t usually have much in the way of secondhand records in the shop as they mainly deal in new records / reissues and their one releases.

Luckily I have most in of these listed in TP’s, Music Matters or the Pathe-Marconi versions (these are often underrated). One Step Beyond is a little pricey though depending on condition. I need a decent vinyl copy of this, but I think I will hang on for a Classic. There are a couple of the Japanese Pressing I would like, but unfortunately all are the more expensive ones. Would have loved a copy of Royal Flush, but that is only a CD.

I’m not feeling too well at the moment, but if I improve I’ll try to get to the shop next week to check out the price V condition, although I might be too tempted to part with money for the more expensive ones. :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better soon, Jim.

I'm sure others have seen his, but Honest Jon's have quite a lot of 1970s non TP/ classic Blue Notes (NOS I Guess) with some crossover to the TPs and Classics releases.

HJ’s One Offs tend to be private collections. The McLean Pathe Marconi looks a bit pricey to me at £40, 10 years ago I was paying £6 each. They tend to go for about £20 at Jazz House. Also, I’ve always found them a bit sonically anaemic. There are also a few 70s reissues with VG stamp - well worth having, although my problem with many of the 70s BN reissues was off centre grooves. Some nice titles in that collection. Tempted by It Might As Well Be Spring - Ike Quebec at his cavernous best.

I’d phone them and have a chat about the titles you’re interested in. It’s worked for me in the past.

I’m not feeling too well at the moment

Hope you’re feeling better soon, Jim.

Reactions: kjb

advertisement

Back