advertisement

Dislike Headphones?

Never use them nowadays. Much prefer speakers, and I'm fortunate to work at home in a detached house while my wife is at work and my daughter at school so I can play music at good volume all day without disturbing anyone. When I lived in a flat in London I used them quite often, but never much enjoyed the experience.

I've struggled with hot ears and a sore head with all the headphones I've tried so far although I now have a pair of akg702's which are just about OK.
A pair of expensive Stax back in the '90's sounded fab so if there was a pair that weighed under 250g but sounded as good then I'd love to try them but can't see me ever liking any over my Tannoys..

Reactions: RoA
Speakers and headphones will always bring a different list of good & not so good to the party.
Speakers should be more open, less claustrophobic & with no comfort issues, hot ears etc.
But to counter that, headphones will negate room-speaker acoustic issues, bass booms, lack of imaging etc & can be used any time of day regardless of who is in the vicinity.
If we all had dedicated, treated music rooms, or live alone, then I guess there’s less need for cans.
But for a lot of people the hifi is in a lounge shared with family duties & TV’s etc.
A decent pair of headphones can give great access to your music with bearable compromises.

A few years ago, I was in and out of hospital on a regular basis. My sister and niece bought me an iPad mini. A boon! I bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNCs. Light, very comfortable, wireless and rechargeable and ridiculously cheap. Ideal for watching films and iPlayer. I had not used 'phones for years , even then, they were in-ear, inside ear defenders, at work. I decided then, to buy a pair of 'phones for home listening. I checked out several pairs and bought an excellent pair which sounded superb, every time I heard them. Sadly, I simply could not get used to them, certainly not as a primary source, and used them less and less over around 3/4 months. Like others , I much prefer speakers...big speakers. I boxed up the 'phones and since there is now a dedicated 'phones section, think ah'll put them in the classifieds. They're far, far too good tae be lying on a shelf. :cool:

I'd go as far and say that a good headphone system can surpass a Hifi set up in some ways by quite a margin.

I'd go as far and say that a good headphone system can surpass a Hifi set up in some ways by quite a margin.
Yes I agree. In some ways, as you say. Detail, imaging, “accuracy” ( although I don’t often like using that word) all stand a better chance through cans than with speakers getting compromised by room acoustic anomalies.
Equally, I can see how a lot of people prefer speakers, several feet away from their ears rather than having potential comfort issues & the band in your head rather than in your room.
But both ways can be excellent.

The ideal for me last year was sitting very near field (nearly in between) stand mounts positioned in free space. Not a practical solution in the end so back to cans. I agree with the detail and accuracy of cans but I do miss the bigger imaging and scale I was experiencing with speakers (in my situation). Anyway no good dreaming of what's been, I've been working on my head fi and I think I'm just about done.

Better than nothing, and quite good for song-based music for some reason. Wouldn’t occur to me to listen to jazz or classical through headphones.

My Supernait2 has gone off for a repair :mad:
However My headphones are doing a great job of filling the void
Currently mine range from cheapest to dearest
Takstar soo comfortable !!
Grado 80x with pad mod
Sennheiser 450 pxc
Stax L300 with 252 energiser
Stax 700 with006 kimmik2 energiser
It’s interesting that they all bring something to the party and give music a new and fresh feel and so far not missing the Supernait2 :):)

Wouldn’t occur to me to listen to jazz or classical through headphones.

I’ve filled my iPhone with public transport-friendly stuff, though there is plenty of jazz in there (some wide-panned stuff can sound a bit unsettling) and even the odd bit of classical, mainly piano (Chopin) and solo violin (Bach). Lots of Miles Davis, obvs. I’ve even got Stockhausen’s Hymnen on there as the way the CD is curated it is chopped into tiny parts, so every now and again on shuffle (which is how I listen on public transport) I get about 40 seconds of out of context WTFness. Which is nice.

Personally I like big speakers with a decent soundstage and I love phase and mixing effects creating a tangible soundstage in front of me.

Headphones can create great ‘in ear’ bass, but it’s not in your chest now is it. If someone could show me a headphone system that doesn’t sound like you have two speakers on your ears and the stage is basically in your head, rather than in free space then I’d be a complete convert.

I’ve filled my iPhone with public transport-friendly stuff, though there is plenty of jazz in there (some wide-panned stuff can sound a bit unsettling) and even the odd bit of classical, mainly piano (Chopin) and solo violin (Bach). Lots of Miles Davis, obvs. I’ve even got Stockhausen’s Hymnen on there as the way the CD is curated it is chopped into tiny parts, so every now and again on shuffle (which is how I listen on public transport) I get about 40 seconds of out of context WTFness. Which is nice.
Off topic, but you have reminded me to try listening to the On the Corner box in it’s entirety next time I drive up north.

Personally I like big speakers with a decent soundstage and I love phase and mixing effects creating a tangible soundstage in front of me.

Headphones can create great ‘in ear’ bass, but it’s not in your chest now is it. If someone could show me a headphone system that doesn’t sound like you have two speakers on your ears and the stage is basically in your head, rather than in free space then I’d be a complete convert.

I'll second that, I just can't get on with them and I've tried dozens over the years including most of the regular suggestions. It's not a case of trying this or that make, I just don't like them for the same reasons you mention. I can't even listen to them casually, I just find myself zoning out and not paying any attention.

Headphones or Speakers??? ... Well I actually like both methods of accessing my music.

When I am at work, I can do music through headphones to drive out the office noise. I tend to limit the selection to closed-backs so the office doesn’t have to put up with my music, these also tend to be of the Bluetooth variety as they get used for meeting as well, (although I will use cable connection for music and Bluetooth for meeting & phone calls).

At home, I can either listen from the main rig in the Listening room or the “downstairs” rig in the main living area. I can choose between a multiple of headphone options from either the closed-back or open-back variety.

I like headphones because you don’t have any room interactions, you can hear deeper into the recording, you get a feeling of complete isolation and immersion into the musical event you also don’t have to be concerned about the volume level. Although you do need to consider the health of you hearing, for your own sake, do be mindful of the effects long term hearing damage from exposure to loud noise.

On the other hand ...

I use speakers. I have a selection of speakers from which I can choose for either system and its fun to sometimes swap out the speakers in my listening room; although the main living area setup stays a little more “locked down” for the sake of domesticity.

I like speakers because of the comfort and not having to wear “stuff” over your ears and head, you are also not tethered to a cable. The music is in front of you and presented a little more in line with how it would be in the “real event”. The only big problem with loud speakers is you can’t play loud without getting angry Neighbours particularly late at night. It is surprising how far sound can travel even through brick walls, closed windows or even a detached building and a fence line on a quarter acre block. I know; we had one resident in property on our street that like to play action movies on his home-theatre at 2:00 o'clock in the morning. It took a concerted effort from all the residents and a visit from the sheriff’s office with a cease-and-desist summons to make him aware of his impact on the surrounding residents.

For me, I do both equally each has its place and application.

LPSpinner

yes same here - Atc's for main listening which i would chose over headphones but as my system is in the living room sometimes its not appropriate, so back up is the main system with a pair of 660's.

advertisement

Back