advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

You are correct, service book states 100 @ 8 and 160 @ 4. Peak dymaic power at 320 into 2. It doesn't struggle to drive Linn Saras.

I asked because some of these devices may have conservative specifications.

Because of your experience and others here (thanks), I became interested in this era of equipment and acquired another price…a Kyocera A-710 integrated. I read somewhere that this amplifier was conservatively rated for power (sure sounds like it).

My JVC was a NOS unit purchased only a couple of years ago. It’s been in a rotation with Naim 72/135 (various internal cards), various Naits, the Kyocera, etc…

With a recent and quite significant upgrade in speakers, the JVC seems to sound the best with them. Amazingly good. Moved to (quite literally) top shelf. Plus, I have fallen in love all over again with the K2 and DAC direct…

rFSJWMd

My JVC was a NOS unit purchased only a couple of years ago. It’s been in a rotation with Naim 72/135 (various internal cards), various Naits, the Kyocera, etc…

With a recent and quite significant upgrade in speakers, the JVC seems to sound the best with them. Amazingly good. Moved to (quite literally) top shelf. Plus, I have fallen in love all over again with the K2 and DAC direct…

rFSJWMd
Can't see the picture...

One more try…

Currently using an RCA step up with the phono. Sounds okay but perhaps not as good as the Lundahl 1931ag. I seem to like the mm stage with transformers over the mc stage.

Also, when I acquired my unit, it arrived with a manual, a Super Digifine catalogue, and a remote!

k5u6Gwe.jpg

bpRfF9Z.jpeg

S4HzVYl.jpeg

One more try…

Currently using an RCA step up with the phono. Sounds okay but perhaps not as good as the Lundahl 1931ag. I seem to like the mm stage with transformers over the mc stage.

I experimented with SUTs into the MM section and had good results, but also found it to be cartridge dependant. For instance, a Dyna 17d sounded fine through the JVC's MC stage, but I preferred the presentation when using the 17d through an EAR MC4 and into the MM stage. On the other hand, a Lyra Kleos sounds amazing directly into the JVC's MC stage. The best I've heard the Kleos. No SUT need apply.

I experimented with SUTs into the MM section and had good results, but also found it to be cartridge dependant. For instance, a Dyna 17d sounded fine through the JVC's MC stage, but I preferred the presentation when using the 17d through an EAR MC4 and into the MM stage. On the other hand, a Lyra Kleos sounds amazing directly into the JVC's MC stage. The best I've heard the Kleos. No SUT need apply.

Beautiful setup you have there. Could be a catalogue photo!

Agreed on cartridge dependency as the MC stage is fixed at 470 ohm loading. However, I am talking more about dynamics. It seems one of my step up transformers provides a little more dynamic sound. I would not have expected this and maybe I am wrong given the comparisons are fraught with the delay incurred when changing the setup.

Over here (Rega Aphelion 2, Lyra Delos), both sound amazing either stepped via MM or the MC input. The JVC is quite an amazing device and I think it also looks great.

All this is wetting my appetite to plug in my JVC AX Z-1010 TN amp still in it's box after a service and have the matching top JVC XL-Z1050 CD player and matching FM tuner, should be an interesting set up. Sadly I do not have a remote control so will look out for one. I have a few Lyra cartridges as well so could be interesting to compare with an SUT.

I’ve done some more listening to different combinations. Much of this is spurred by the fantastic new speakers (Finkteam Kim) and how the pairing is working so well.

I have two tables. WT Amadeus and a Rega Planar 10. The WT has a Lyra Delos and the Rega has the Aphelion 2. For any MM input, I have three step up transformers: Lundahl 1931AG, Cinemag Sky 20, and RCA-MI12399.

Short conclusion is that my previous comments can be disregarded and the sensible conclusion is that the step ups I have don’t bring much to the table other than loading flexibility. If they do enhance something, the differences are so small as to render moot or these differences are simply changes in sonic flavor rather than improvements.

Four years and counting. I've got different speakers and a different turntable, but the JVC remains. I still have a wonderful valve alternative, along with other DACs and phono stages, but my preference is for the all-in-one z1010

gi.mpl
What's the CD transport. Esoteric?

What's the CD transport. Esoteric?

Correct. Esoteric p700. Purchased mostly for the aesthetic match to the JVC integrated. Both have a somewhat brutalist appearance. It also helps that it's a tremendous product sporting one of the better disc drive systems (VRDS) yet developed.

gi.mpl

I’ve done some more listening to different combinations. Much of this is spurred by the fantastic new speakers (Finkteam Kim) and how the pairing is working so well.

I have two tables. WT Amadeus and a Rega Planar 10. The WT has a Lyra Delos and the Rega has the Aphelion 2. For any MM input, I have three step up transformers: Lundahl 1931AG, Cinemag Sky 20, and RCA-MI12399.

Short conclusion is that my previous comments can be disregarded and the sensible conclusion is that the step ups I have don’t bring much to the table other than loading flexibility. If they do enhance something, the differences are so small as to render moot or these differences are simply changes in sonic flavor rather than improvements.

Amazing phono stage for a product which was obviously geared towards digital. I've got a couple of other great phono stages, along with two SUTs, but I'm really so happy with the JVC's internal MM/MC stage that the others are gathering dust. BTW, I had to google Finkteam but man-o-man those are serious looking speakers! Congrats!

Thanks Waxxy! First thing I thought was that your transport matches the angular JVC. May I ask what the other phonos are?

Some here may be interested to know that the designer of the Finkteam speakers worked with Naim in designing their Ovator line. And Mr. Fink is apparently going to introduce an Epos 14n remake.

How good is the JVC? Apparently good enough to allow a big upgrade in speakers.

I think the higher output of the Lyra (Delos in my case) works very well with the JVC phono. I have one other nice phono stage but it is out for repair and haven’t tried it with the JVC yet. Memory serves, I am not missing anything.

Yes the 80's gear...angles and square buttons. I really love the combination of colours between the two chassis. Warm bronze on the JVC, with light gold and olive for the Esoteric. More fun than black or silver in my humble opinion. But I do like black gear too. Note the photo below. That Cyrus stack contains one of my other phono stages, along with a PSX-r2. Massive flexibility and dead quiet. Matched up with the Cyrus 8-XPd integrated/DAC and it's own PSX-r2, it has all the functionality of the JVC, does reveal a slight bit more fine detail and is a very engaging combination, but I prefer the heft and power of the JVC. I could easily live with either combo.

gi.mpl

I've also got an EAR Phono Classic /EAR MC4 combo. Nothing wrong with it either, but it's partly the simplicity of running only one quality phono cable directly into the integrated phono stage which appeals. Plus, with my preferred cart, the Kleos, direct into the JVC, it sounds as good as I've heard it!

gi.mpl

Correct. Esoteric p700. Purchased mostly for the aesthetic match to the JVC integrated. Both have a somewhat brutalist appearance. It also helps that it's a tremendous product sporting one of the better disc drive systems (VRDS) yet developed.

gi.mpl
Thought so, gold drawer is unusual. I might try and grab one, mostly because they are half width.

Beautiful setup you have there. Could be a catalogue photo!

Agreed on cartridge dependency as the MC stage is fixed at 470 ohm loading. However, I am talking more about dynamics. It seems one of my step up transformers provides a little more dynamic sound. I would not have expected this and maybe I am wrong given the comparisons are fraught with the delay incurred when changing the setup.

Over here (Rega Aphelion 2, Lyra Delos), both sound amazing either stepped via MM or the MC input. The JVC is quite an amazing device and I think it also looks great.
@Waxxy superb photo!

I changed the loading resistors on my 1010 to 560 ohm to match the Linn ASAKA, brought more detail and a better resolved treble. It's easy to do and brings the MC stage to the same level as the K2 DAC, i.e. superb.

Amazing phono stage for a product which was obviously geared towards digital. I've got a couple of other great phono stages, along with two SUTs, but I'm really so happy with the JVC's internal MM/MC stage that the others are gathering dust. BTW, I had to google Finkteam but man-o-man those are serious looking speakers! Congrats!
Don't forget the phono stage in the JVC was designed to be high end, it used very, very posh Toshiba 2SK170V FETs.

Don't forget the phono stage in the JVC was designed to be high end, it used very, very posh Toshiba 2SK170V FETs.

2SK170 are J-FETs!

.. As used on the front end of the Hiraga Le Monstre. They are absolutely fantastic things.

I didn't realise the JVC had a J-FET phonostage. No wonder it sounds as good as it does

advertisement

Back