advertisement

Housing market

Just looked at the cottage. Multiple bids, all btl / air bnb, all cash. Loads more viewings, will go to sealed bids. Seems the market is still red hot. I won’t be participating, give it 12 months.

In my view Mr Ponty, I think Mr Flutteringwow doesn’t like you because I suspect you’ve got more money than him. I think that whatever you say you’ll never win.

Not Ad hom against anyone, just an observation from multiple posts on multiple housing and similarly related threads.

Regards,

Rob.

Not at all, I have very little interest in who has more money than someone else, I have more than enough for me, more than many, less than many, I have no interest in being 'way ahead of someone' whatever that really means. I only have interest in how people view others less fortunate than themselves and what they do to try and improve things for all even if its as simple as adjusting their own cognitive makeup to be more aware. Anyone who treats human necessity as a 'product' will never align with me.

So in short, no, someone with belief structures as shown will never 'win' as most of what they say is deeply burdened ideology and is part of the major social problems in this country, if not the world.

You have to remember, this is largely a liberal left wing site, so when a right wing fellow pops in with the 'look after yourself' attitude, its certainly not going to go by smoothly. If he posted on AvForums, he would be treated like a king and I would be challenged every step of the way.

Not at all, I have very little interest in who has more money than someone else, I have more than enough for me, more than many, less than many, I have no interest in being 'way ahead of someone' whatever that really means. I only have interest in how people view others less fortunate than themselves and what they do to try and improve things for all even if its as simple as adjusting their own cognitive makeup to be more aware. Anyone who treats human necessity as a 'product' will never align with me.

So in short, no, someone with belief structures as shown will never 'win' as most of what they say is deeply burdened ideology and is part of the major social problems in this country, if not the world.

You have to remember, this is largely a liberal left wing site, so when a right wing fellow pops in with the 'look after yourself' attitude, its certainly not going to go by smoothly. If he posted on AvForums, he would be treated like a king and I would be challenged every step of the way.

If I sold my rentals and lived in a more expensive house or area instead, would that be OK?

Is it OK though, to own property way in excess of your requirements?

Ah, another futile question, so a relative answer.

A couple living in a six bedroom house won't be adding to the housing crisis as much as a single person living in a three bed house and owning a couple holiday homes with a couple extra rented out as airbnb's.

A couple living in a six bedroom house won't be adding to the housing crisis as much as a single person living in a three bed house and owning a couple holiday homes with a couple extra rented out as airbnb's.
A non answer, you mean. Arbitrary exampls A is better than arbitrary example B. So what? Just your usual politics of envy. Find a bogeyman, kill him. Hoorah!

A non answer, you mean. Arbitrary exampls A is better than arbitrary example B. So what? Just your usual politics of envy. Find a bogeyman, kill him. Hoorah!

No, I meant what I wrote.

Thankyou for taking me off ignore though, I enjoy you.

I have no envy of anyone, but I will always voice for those that can't, that's how I use the privilege I have earnt, not by trying to be 'ahead of someone' .

No, I meant what I wrote.

Thankyou for taking me off ignore though, I enjoy you.

I have no envy of anyone, but I will always voice for those that can't, that's how I use the privilege I have earnt, not by trying to be 'ahead of someone' .
I didn't have you on ignore, I was just ignoring your posts and refraining from replying because I can't generally be bothered. The class warrior attitude is in most of your posts, it's tiresome and it's generally not worth the trouble.

The couple rattling around in a 6 bed house are under utilising an asset which would be ideal for a big family. Not sure I can imagine a single person in a 3 bed house and a couple of holiday homes all for their own utility but there you go. Hopefully they’d let them to provide homes for people who for whatever reason can’t or don’t want to buy, or as additional holiday lets to bring income and jobs into what are often poor areas.

I didn't have you on ignore, I was just ignoring your posts and refraining from replying because I can't generally be bothered. The class warrior attitude is in most of your posts, it's tiresome and it's generally not worth the trouble.

I am glad you are now bothered, I enjoy you.

The couple rattling around in a 6 bed house are under utilising an asset which would be ideal for a big family. Not sure I can imagine a single person in a 3 bed house and a couple of holiday homes all for their own utility but there you go. Hopefully they’d let them to provide homes for people who for whatever reason can’t or don’t want to buy, or as additional holiday lets to bring income and jobs into what are often poor areas.

I don't need to imagine, I know quite a few. I think the level of housing crisis need for smaller homes is greater than that for six bedroom houses, so their impact is smaller and less important. But you know that.

'can't' buy, yes, that's the stickler isn't it..

Ah the social media euphoria statement of ' but the holiday lets bring in so many jobs', that's just a tired argument which has already been addressed in this thread, amongst others, with links to media about these claims. Cyclic.

So yes, you did it on a standard wage, which is the common denominator. You didn't have to go out and get three jobs to do so. No one said it was easy, but it wasn't impossible, now it is impossible for many...most are barely surviving on multiple jobs let alone able to raise a deposit and mortgage repayments.

The average house price is 65 times higher than in 1970 but average wages are only 36 times higher (May 2021)

You’re right.

In 1997 my now wife and myself decided to buy our first house. A two bedroom semi, nice little starter home. Halifax looked at 3x wage. Me being an employed at the time plumbing/heating engineer and my wife a hairdresser they gave us a 38k mortgage on my wage alone. We put down 2k deposit.

Those houses are going for well over 200k now and nearly all have been extended or are rentals. They were starter homes, not any more......

More good news on the housing front:

Homebuilder Persimmon Offers Mortgage Holidays to Lure Reluctant UK Buyers
  • Persimmon set up a “10 months mortgage free” customer offer
  • Expensive loans, gloomy price forecasts are weighing on demand
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-12/persimmon-offers-mortgage-holidays-to-lure-reluctant-uk-buyers?leadSource=uverify wall
No doubt this 'holiday' will be back loaded onto the end of the mortgage, so buyers pay more interest over the term. Happens already with some car loans - the helpful salesman asks 'would you like to defer your first payment by a month, sir?', not telling you that this means the interest on the loan for that month rolls up onto the principal, and adds to your payments thereafter.

No doubt this 'holiday' will be back loaded onto the end of the mortgage, so buyers pay more interest over the term. Happens already with some car loans - the helpful salesman asks 'would you like to defer your first payment by a month, sir?', not telling you that this means the interest on the loan for that month rolls up onto the principal, and adds to your payments thereafter.

The best ones are 0%. People actually believe they’re getting something for free!

Just seen you can get 3 year fixed savings at 4.55%. When you can get this risk and hassle free for doing no work, BTL is dead IMHO. Stone dead, many will be pleased to hear. Different for existing landlords however as we’ve discussed.

Just chatting to a mate who recently sold his business. Has a lump in his ltd co and is thinking of buying property with it. Told him he can get 4.6% fixed on a 3, 4 or 5 year business deposit and not have to do any work or take any risk. He said ‘f the houses’. He can stick a lump in there and just draw divs up to the high rate threshold which the interest will cover. Git (but he’s earned it to be fair)! This sort of thing is going to reduce demand IMHO. It’s only cash buyers who’ll now keep the market afloat and if they can see a fair return on deposit, won’t bother with the agro.

advertisement

Back