advertisement

The Maggies, are dead... What a loss!

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
One of my Magneplanar 0.6QR has begin to delaminate.... I can hear it buzz on sustained bass notes. So, they have been removed from the lounge and my Sonus Faber Grand Pianos have taken their place.
What a come down..... I can hear the boxes playing along, all of the gorgeous Magneplanar transparency has gone and vocal reproduction is bloody rubbish. The sound stage has shrunk horribly and that gorgeous way dipoles drive your room is but a memory.
I'm going to attempt a repair but I'm not sanguine. Special Adhesive on its way bet more gets on my fingers than the speakers.
It's £2k for a new pair of 0.7 so I have to try. Anyone else attempted this job?

Last edited:
I have attempted this with a pair of 1.4's and it is a real pain, how old are they?
This is the curse of planar speakers I'm afraid be they maggies or electrostaics.

Rgds
Stuart

I have attempted this with a pair of 1.4's and it is a real pain, how old are they?
This is the curse of planar speakers I'm afraid be they maggies or electrostaics.

Rgds
Stuart
Thanks Stuart..... I've read that it's not easy. I've had value..... They must be ten years old.

funny just this minute posted a link some replacement panels for ML on a query about same thing
Yea.... I chucked a pair of Martin Logans because older ones just aren't economic to repair. The problem is, for me, once you've heard panel speakers transparency it's hard to go back to boxes.

I'm surprised that 0.6QR have begun to delaminate, as I would have expected these to have been from the period after Magnepan changed from using Miloxane glue.

Here is the most informative pfm post on the subject (from @Colin131), seems the change of adhesive used happened during production of 0.6QR...

Gosh, I hate reading this.........
This is a recurring problem with Magnepan and the repair is not that easy. Personally, I would leave this to an expert to make sure they come back to life in a proper way.
These panels REALLY make you addicted and once in use for a few months, everything else sounds kind of dull or out of the track.

Bit of a bummer, but…..either way, your old ones will be singing again, or some new ones will be in situ! (loss/win/win?)

Hope you’re back up and running soon Darren.

Gosh, I hate reading this.........
This is a recurring problem with Magnepan and the repair is not that easy. Personally, I would leave this to an expert to make sure they come back to life in a proper way.
These panels REALLY make you addicted and once in use for a few months, everything else sounds kind of dull or out of the track.
Thanks GC. This isnt my first pair of Maggies and there is certainly something addictive about them. Sadly, at UK prices, its an expensive habit.

Mine have been parked up in the loft bedroom for the last ten years waiting for this poor bugger to try and fix them. They’ll probably end up in the skip :(

Bit of a bummer, but…..either way, your old ones will be singing again, or some new ones will be in situ! (loss/win/win?)

Hope you’re back up and running soon Darren.
Cheers Phil. I'm not one for spending a lot on hifi - I like to keep it cheap and guilt free. It will really burn me if I have to shell out two large!!

Cheers Phil. I'm not one for spending a lot on hifi - I like to keep it cheap and guilt free. It will really burn me if I have to shell out two large!!
I know the feeling :(, sorry, was trying to put a positive angle on it, hope it’s not too painful a fix, best wishes.

Mine have been parked up in the loft bedroom for the last ten years waiting for this poor bugger to try and fix them. They’ll probably end up in the skip :(
I hear you chopski. Sadly I'm fresh out of hifi space. So it's do or die. I either get them working or they get broken up for recycling.

£2k is less than a decent holiday. Go for it.
This is, a good point Woody. But if you ain't got two large gash... You ain't got it.
(I'm not looking for donations or for folks to feel sorry for me! )

Sorry to hear your Maggie news Darren.

I run have a pair of 1.7 i as doe's a mate of mine.My mates where about 3 years old and he started getting buzzing on bass notes on 1 of the panels.
He spoke to Magneplaner and after much E mail and a phone chat over 8 months they sent him a whole new panel which was a great result.
Like you I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt a repair myself.There is a few panel repair videos on You Tube though.

My dealer Paul at the Hi Fi Lounge warned me that once you have tried panels there's no going back and he sells Wilson - Sonus Faber - Avant Garde.
Some real top end speakers but for him Mags are his favourite speakers and it's what he would use at home but has 5 cats and doesn't
want to risk them getting scaratched.Also their VFM is just incredible from a sound performance level compared to box speakers.

There the best speakers I have ever had and my love of music has gone up a level as I real hear so much more into a recording as their transparancy and instrument timbre and separation is astonishing.Yeah the bass rolls of at a certain point but what bass you do have has real texture and detail about it.
As you know shut your eyes and they just vanish its really a performance in your listening room.

Hope you get them repaired .

Last edited:
I too have cats.
I protect my large Quad ESLs with single bed removal bed plastic covers and only use them when the cats are not about or can be shut out.
In the same room, I have Isobariks, that the cats don't go for, so they are my adhoc speakers.

Sorry to hear your Maggie news Darren.

I run have a pair of 1.7 i as doe's a mate of mine.My mates where about 3 years old and he started getting buzzing on bass notes on 1 of the panels.
He spoke to Magneplaner and after much E mail and a phone chat over 8 months they sent him a whole new panel which was a great result.
Like you I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt a repair myself.There is a few panel repair videos on You Tube though.

My dealer Paul at the Hi Fi Lounge warned me that once you have tried panels there's no going back and he sells Wilson - Sonus Faber - Avant Garde.
Some real top end speakers but for him Mags are his favourite speakers and it's what he would use at home but has 5 cats and doesn't
want to risk them getting scaratched.Also their VFM is just incredible from a sound performance level compared to box speakers.

There the best speakers I have ever had and my love of music has gone up a level as I real here so much more into a recording as their transparancy and instrument timbre and seperation is astonishing.Yeah the bass rolls of at a certain point but what bass you do have has real texture and detail about it.
As you know shut your eyes and they just vanish its really a performance in your listening room.

Hope you get them repaired .
Thanks Miss A. Three years is rubbish. Quad do better than that.

advertisement

Back