advertisement

I have only briefly demoed the new C20 and was very impressed (amp was a Hegel 360, a great match). I have owned the C1’s and they were incredible. I regret selling those. From what I have read the new Contour series have the tweeters as good as the old Confidence series, which were incredibly good.

One feature I liked about the C1’s was that they screwed on to the stands so no chance of accidentally knocking them off the stands. Do the C20’s screw on to the stands like this?

Edit: I see yours are actually the new Confidence series, its more confusing now that there is a Contour20 and Confidence20. I bet these sound incredible. These speakers will certainly keep giving more as you invest more in amplification. End game speakers.

The stands are quite unique. The bass port is on the underside of the speaker. The column of the stand sits directly beneath the port, and the speaker is mounted to the stand by a bracket that sits on top of each column and bolts into the base of the speaker by three points around the port. Additionally, the top of each column has a domed rubber cap, presumably helping to smooth the air flow in and out of the port. Whatever the science, it seems to work. But in answer to your question, you can’t knock the speaker off the stand, and thanks to a large footprint at the base of each stand, they’re extremely sturdy.

Current system with Proac D30RS’s added…..
Current System by Rob Moores, on Flickr

Any reason why you didn't put the amp in the top shelf below the TT? Would make accessing its controls a lot easier and the other components don't really need a lot of interaction in comparison (except perhaps the streamer).

I have noticed often that people have their integrated amps in the lowest shelf - sure you can keep the speaker cables short, but it seems impractical (yes I know there are remotes, but still).

Nice. I personally would probably try and fit the Hifi in the nice cupboard.

Nice. I personally would probably try and fit the Hifi in get rid of the nice cupboard. :) Surely the big box between the speakers wreaks havoc on the acoustics, particularly the imaging?

Lovely speakers BTW, and great to hear from someone who actually owns them!

Any reason why you didn't put the amp in the top shelf below the TT? Would make accessing its controls a lot easier and the other components don't really need a lot of interaction in comparison (except perhaps the streamer).

I have noticed often that people have their integrated amps in the lowest shelf - sure you can keep the speaker cables short, but it seems impractical (yes I know there are remotes, but still).

The straightforward reason for the amp being on the bottom shelf is that has the largest legs and so there’s more room for the Sugden to breathe.

@Robby do the D30R's still have the same sound signature as the DB1's?

Sound signature is not dissimilar other than the high frequencies which feel a little more detailed and present.

I’m going to investigate in the new year whether a little more power can draw even more from the Proac’s without sacrificing what the Sugden brings.

Nice system for sure. I use ProAc Response 2.5s, so an earlier incarnation.

I was using a 15 watt EL84 valve amp with mine for many months and prior to that an AudioNet 110 watt integrated. I sold the AudioNet on as it sounded practically the same as the valve amp, which also sounded very similar to a 40w EL84 valve amp. However, I recently put in an old Sansui 130w integrated and it has really made the speakers come to life, so much more energy and bass. The midrange is slightly harder but with more clarity and I get way more image depth and width too.

So based on my findings, they do react well do bigger power, but as you say at what sacrifce. Perhaps two amps could be the answer...?

IMG_2457.jpg

Dynaudio C20 installed

D676-DCD3-B16-C-4-D53-8219-F26858-F5-C9-B1.jpg
Wow! End game speakers for sure. I have the Heritage Specials and love them with my Rega Amp and Cd. What is the rest of your set up, i have enlarged the phot and still can`t read the make1 Either last nights wine or another pair of specs are due. Cheers.

Wow! End game speakers for sure. I have the Heritage Specials and love them with my Rega Amp and Cd. What is the rest of your set up, i have enlarged the phot and still can`t read the make1 Either last nights wine or another pair of specs are due. Cheers.
Analogue: Technics SL-1210 GAE, Trilogy 906. Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Debussy
Amplification: Musical Fidelity AMS35i. Speakers: Dynaudio Confidence 20 ;)

Sound signature is not dissimilar other than the high frequencies which feel a little more detailed and present.

I’m going to investigate in the new year whether a little more power can draw even more from the Proac’s without sacrificing what the Sugden brings.

The D30R's are pretty awesome, I do wonder if they'd benefit from more current than what the A21 offers, maybe the IA-4 would be the better partner?

advertisement

Back