advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

I am still note sure who defines what is and is not folk music, but…

image480×640 84.7 KB

That’s Jon Gomm, on stage at Cecil Sharp House last night. There wasn’t a ‘Fol de Rol’ or a whiff of morris dancing all night, though he did play a trad Ukrainian tune. However, a man and a guitar produced an astonishing and intense experience. He is also the most innovative guitarist I have heard in decades, and I was not surprised that most of the audience were guitarists.

If his music isn’t ‘folk’, we may need a new ‘Just John Gomm’ thread.

Hidden Orchestra last night at the QEH.
Sadly, due to transport fu(kery, we missed the first 20 minutes, but the rest was excellent.

Up there again next Saturday for Jane Weaver - hopefully with fewer transport screw ups (yes, I am aware there's a train strike on *sigh*)

Continuing the Irish theme, Fontaines DC at Hammersmith yesterday. Great band with an excellent catalogue, considering their relative youth. One of the best light shows I’ve seen in years, simple, powerful and effective.

Bit gutted we were in the seated section. But I probably couldn’t hack the mosh pit anyway.

Ruts DC supported by TV Smith last night at the Liverpool Academy. Excellent acoustic set by TV Smith and a superb set by the Ruts with a nice tribute to Nik Turner, Keith Levene and Wilko Johnson. Great night!!

The Cure, Birmingham Utilita Arena 7 December. A slick 40 years in the making greatest hits show but if you are a fan they were magnificent

Seem to be on a run of Irish bands at the moment. Mary Wallopers in Camden. Amazingly charismatic. Able to go from punky stompers, to whisper quiet with the crowd in the palm of their hands. Bought a CD on the way out, always a good sign.

Die Fledermaus at the RNCM this afternoon.
Utterly outstanding performance considering every one in the orchestra and performing the opera are students. The set design was superb as well.

Two friends asked me to accompany them to Rod Stewart in Manchester last week... I was designated driver. Now it's fair to say that I like what I know of him as a person, but his music does little for me so I was approaching the gig with some trepidation especially when I found out just how old he is. The support act were dreadful (like a bad Pogues tribute act) and the opening two numbers from Rod confirmed my suspicions that his voice isn't what it was and he is an old man and moves like one, but after his voice loosened up a little and he got into the swing of it some of the numbers such as Maggie May and Sailing were sung very well indeed. I ended up appreciating the show more than enjoying it, but everyone around me seemed to love it so fair play to him although I still think 'Do you think I'm sexy' is bloody naff especially sung by an old man doing a 'dad dance' :D

Two friends asked me to accompany them to Rod Stewart in Manchester last week... I was designated driver. Now it's fair to say that I like what I know of him as a person, but his music does little for me so I was approaching the gig with some trepidation especially when I found out just how old he is. The support act were dreadful (like a bad Pogues tribute act) and the opening two numbers from Rod confirmed my suspicions that his voice isn't what it was and he is an old man and moves like one, but after his voice loosened up a little and he got into the swing of it some of the numbers such as Maggie May and Sailing were sung very well indeed. I ended up appreciating the show more than enjoying it, but everyone around me seemed to love it so fair play to him although I still think 'Do you think I'm sexy' is bloody naff especially sung by an old man doing a 'dad dance' :D
I think that's what's commonly known as toftt.;)

advertisement

Back