advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

Interesting critique of Starmer's Labour from (I would say) a very soft left perspective:

https://www.newstatesman.com/commen...ir-starmer-contests-reveals-emptiness-purpose

The woman barred from becoming a PPC (prospective parliamentary candidate) and expelled from the party is pro-EU and pro-Starmer, so not your typical Corbynite troublemaker.

The contrast with Christian Wakeford's treatment is grimly telling.

Key quote:
In its crushing of internal democracy and difference, Labour denies itself the right to claim a new democratic future for our country. This is one part of the battlefield that the Tories are most vulnerable on. Because the object of progressive politics is not for a small clique to wield all the power but for people, as citizens, to build their future collectively. Yet you can’t preach externally what you don’t live internally.
Sadly, Starmer is not interested in collectively building a new democratic future. His instincts are profoundly elitist, anti-democratic and authoritarian.

You forgot to mention Labours share dipped to 49% with the Tories up to 38% in the 2019 GE ….was this also due to Corbyn’s strategic genius? Maybe he was trying to emulate Ali’s dope a rope trick during the rumble in the jungle.
That’s still a huge margin and much more than Miliband got in 2015, which was in turn more than than Brown got, which was more than Blair got on his last time out. The point is that this is now a very safe Labour seat where voters are not at all averse to the left of the party. Taking Thursday’s result as validation of Starmer and his “plan” - stomp on the left, suck up to the Mail - is fanciful. The proverbial pig with a red rosette would have won that seat, even were the Tories at the peak of their popularity, which they most definitely are not.

I genuinely am glad that the Tory vote has collapsed to that extent but the way this result is being spun illustrates why I’m so ambivalent about the current situation. On the one hand I’d like to see the Conservative Party annihilated but on the other I know that some will take that as evidence that the only alternative is no alternative at all - that you can’t have even mild redistribution without more detention camps, privatisation and corruption.

What is the problem with that? Attacking the House of Lords is hardly the most important thing, which is to the win the confidence of sufficient numbers of the electorate to win the next GE. Then they can tackle the state of the place created by the tories. The House of Lords is not at the top of any list other than for those who wish to grasp any opportunity to undermine the party and help the tories.

The Labour manifesto could be written on the head of a pin. HoL reform was the only significant policy...

I vote against right-wing authoritarianism, nationalism, isolationism, electoral gerrymandering etc. You don’t.
No, I absolutely do not vote for or support isolationalism, any kind of authoritarianism or nationalism. For me, there are no exceptions.

Nor do I support electoral gerrymandering. I've been hoping and advocating for a PR system for many years. Perhaps you can clarify how that is supporting electoral gerrymandering? I'm assuming you mean how FPTP in a UK GE benefits the tories in the UK and the nationalists in Scotland. I don't support it.

Is that all clear enough to prevent a repeat of these incorrect assertions?

No, I absolutely do not vote for or support isolationalism, any kind of authoritarianism or nationalism. For me, there are no exceptions.

Nor do I support electoral gerrymandering. I've been hoping and advocating for a PR system for many years. Perhaps you can clarify how that is supporting electoral gerrymandering? I'm assuming you mean how FPTP in a UK GE benefits the tories in the UK and the nationalists in Scotland. I don't support it.

Is that all clear enough to prevent a repeat of these incorrect assertions?

I have been reading your posts for some years now and to my eyes they're pregnant with nationalism and conservatism...

I thought you were a Labour voter? That’s both neoliberal and authoritarian.
No, it isn't.

I vote tactically against the tories. If the Greens could replace them I would be hoping the Greens win the GE. Seriously, I suspect you will never understand, you don't dislike the tories and what they do anywhere near as much as I do.

Really? Examples?

95%, maybe more, of your posts at PFM are in this thread and the Brexit thread. They're mostly about how not voting Labour enabled Brexit and the Tories, and finding reasons for why voting Leave was not dumb.

95%, maybe more, of your posts at PFM are in this thread and the Brexit thread. They're mostly about how not voting Labour enabled Brexit and the Tories, and finding reasons why voting Leave was not dumb.
I'm curious. How does believing a Labour govt would have meant no brexit equal support for conservatism and nationalism? Also, you think when I say I dislike nationalism it means I am a nationalist?

I've never said voting leave was not dumb nor have I ever looked for a reason to say it wasn't dumb. Example, fella. Examples. Looking forward to your apology when you can't come up with anything.

No, it isn't.

I vote tactically against the tories. If the Greens could replace them I would be hoping the Greens win the GE. Seriously, I suspect you will never understand, you don't dislike the tories and what they do anywhere near as much as I do.

I detest both Tory and Labour as they are both neoliberal, both nationalist, both deeply authoritarian, both stand against any real reform or democratic accountability. They are just degrees of the exact same thing. The Tories wear a blue tie and are certainly more class elitist and maybe marginally more corrupt, but really that is it.

Labour are obviously hardly ever in government, but in my voting life they lied to the HoC/electorate to go into an illegal war with a hard-right neoconservative Republican Party, ramped up authoritarianism to the point of even trying to erode Habeas Corpus, hocked up huge amounts of debt to corrupt PFI schemes and worshiped at the alter of the London Square Mile. They also till-dipped to extraordinary degrees throughout the ‘expenses scandal’ etc. Starmer just looks like more of the same but with additional racism against Labour’s BAME members and an ongoing crusade against the left-wing principles the party was initially built upon in the early 20th century.

They are a blockage to democratic reform. A clammy stagnant shitberg that needs hosing out of the system before we can ever really move forward as a society. My sincere hope is they fail to reach a majority next election as a hung parliament couldn’t help but be more radical and reforming.

advertisement

Back