advertisement

[FS] Old Equipment, Film/ various

fraser.

pfm Member
I've been handed a box of camera related items from the father-in-law, and an instruction to sell it...

I know nothing about cameras other than the one on my phone so hoping someone here is interested and can save me the pain of eBay. Happy to share photos for anyone with an interest. Here's the best descriptions I can muster through raking through the box...

Hoya lens 49mm Skylight 1B (x2 of these)
Hoya 52mm skylight 1B
Vivitar lens : 49mm 28mm 1:2.8 wide angle
Tokima SD 28-70 1:3.5-4.5 52mm
Olympus OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-S 50mm 1:1.8
Olympus OM-2n camera body
big flash thing for above camera
some kind of auto (time?) thing for above camera
Tamron SP 500mm 1:8 tele macro 55BB
6 or 7 NOS rolls of film, various brands

help!

The OM2n with 50mm lens could be worth around £100 if working and light seals in good condition. I paid £90 for an excellent OM2n with new seals from a used camera dealer with a returns policy.

If the seals are still original they will almost certainly need replacing. Open the camera back and look for signs of gooey foam where the back seals against the camera. There is also a foam bumper for the mirror that can turn to goo. A camera repair shop will charge around £20 to replace the seals. A full service will cost around £150.

Buy a new pair of SR44 batteries from amazon and install to test that the meter is working. If it has an old battery in place that could have corroded and caused a lot of damage.

Check that there are no signs of the camera being stored in a damp environment. Look for rusty screws or signs of fungus in the mirror box. Also check the lenses by shining a flashlight through them. If they look cloudly or if there is evidence of anything growing inside they are worthless.

The Vivitar wide angle lens by itself is probably worth about £20 if it has no fungus.
The zoom lens, 500mm mirror lens, flash, filters etc are not worth anything. I have tried selling stuff like this before and ended up just giving it away on freecycle.

Olympus Om2n manual here: https://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus_pdf/olympus_om-2.pdf
It is one of the best cameras made by Olympus, but unfortunately not worth much.

The Tamron mirror lens is far from worthless. In excellent condition £100 would be typical dealer price (selling). Check out ebay listings and look at dealers like Ffordes Photographic, who still buy and sell film equipment.

The OM2n with 50mm lens could be worth around £100 if working and light seals in good condition. I paid £90 for an excellent OM2n with new seals from a used camera dealer with a returns policy.

If the seals are still original they will almost certainly need replacing. Open the camera back and look for signs of gooey foam where the back seals against the camera. There is also a foam bumper for the mirror that can turn to goo. A camera repair shop will charge around £20 to replace the seals. A full service will cost around £150.

Buy a new pair of SR44 batteries from amazon and install to test that the meter is working. If it has an old battery in place that could have corroded and caused a lot of damage.

Check that there are no signs of the camera being stored in a damp environment. Look for rusty screws or signs of fungus in the mirror box. Also check the lenses by shining a flashlight through them. If they look cloudly or if there is evidence of anything growing inside they are worthless.

The Vivitar wide angle lens by itself is probably worth about £20 if it has no fungus.
The zoom lens, 500mm mirror lens, flash, filters etc are not worth anything. I have tried selling stuff like this before and ended up just giving it away on freecycle.

Olympus Om2n manual here: https://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus_pdf/olympus_om-2.pdf
It is one of the best cameras made by Olympus, but unfortunately not worth much.

I had one in my jacket pocket when I took my morning walk this morning. A wonderful piece of precision engineering, an absolute joy to use.

Condition is everything , Have you checked the condition in the battery chamber in the camera body and flash unit , Sadly lots of equipment is lost as these are tucked away for 30 / 40 years and left with the batteries installed , They leak acid and its game over , Also the lenses need looking at for fungus and mould on the lens elements , Not sure you will sell this without posting photos and listing full details.

The Tamron mirror lens is far from worthless. In excellent condition £100 would be typical dealer price (selling). Check out ebay listings and look at dealers like Ffordes Photographic, who still buy and sell film equipment.

That price could be achieved if you are very patient. Ffordes will probably take a year to sell that lens. If selling on ebay a track record of selling lenses with positive feedback is worth a lot. Without a prior track record your best bet is an auction with lots of detailed pictures. It takes skill and quality equipment to take product photos of sufficient quality to get a good price, especially for a niche lens like this.

Try Special Auction Services in Newbury. They have a long track record with all film equipment and will almost certainly sell for you. I listed some Canon film equipment here a few weeks ago, zero interest. SAS inspected the kit and reckoned they will get at least double my valuation. One lens worth what I wanted for the lot.

Thanks all!

I'll have a go at taking decent photos of everything and doing some more inspection later...

I don't fancy selling on ebay unless i have a half decent understanding of what it is so the above is very helpful.

advertisement

Back