advertisement

musical fidelity nuvista pre amp

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all was thinking of maybe getting one of the earlier nuvista pre amps.
I am using a Densen b200 at the moment just wondering if anyone had any experience with a nuvista.

I have a Nu-Vista Vinyl phono stage and absolutely love it. Probably the single best upgrade I made of all the components and certainly a keeper. I can't comment on their preamp or any other Nu-Vista product but I really do love the smooth and rich sound it brought to my Vinyl setup. Tears of joy we're actually shed during those first records played. The Nu-Vista tubes themselves have a very long life span compared to standard tubes so even with regular use it they should last for years. Spare sets are available so if your considering a very long term stay you could pick up a set for peace of mind
dot.jpg

i have the nv300 pre (and the power amp). i have just got it back from john sampson, so i am still getting used to it, but i like it a lot, with both the nv300 power amp and my radford. really clean, neutral sounding. the phono stage is good and it has remote vol and source (i didn't know i needed these)...

I bought a used Nuvista preamp from a dealer a decade or two ago (probably two or three).

Luckily he accepted returns.
It sounded unexceptional (to put it politely) and the remote volume control was a disaster - the lightest touch sent it about 10db. Next to impossible to set it to the volume I wanted.

Maybe they fixed the remote issue and improved the sound.
But maybe not.

Definitely try before you commit is my advice - you might like it - or have an understanding that returns are accepted.

I bought a pristine example second hand but sold it a few weeks later. It wasn't a bad amp just nothing special, particularly given the hype.

They were owned about four years apart. Made money on both when I resold which might explain it.:p

Haha, yes.
I get that.

I've returned to gear that I've disliked simply because I came to doubt my poor impressions of it given the almost universal praise heaped on by reviewers.
I still hated them second time around! (AKG 701 headphones were the culprits. At least I didn't lose significant ££ on them).

I do wonder about the praise heaped on the frankly mediocre NuVista preamp.
Then I recall the vast amount of advertising that MF were putting in the Hifi press of the time. ;)

Haha, yes.
I get that.

I've returned to gear that I've disliked simply because I came to doubt my poor impressions of it given the almost universal praise heaped on by reviewers.
I still hated them second time around! (AKG 701 headphones were the culprits. At least I didn't lose significant ££ on them).

I do wonder about the praise heaped on the frankly mediocre NuVista preamp.
Then I recall the vast amount of advertising that MF were putting in the Hifi press of the time. ;)
They were Stereophile babes for a while.

If a MF valve preamp is wanted, then ime a F22 is a much better bet.
While it was never going to be a master of transparency, at least, with some judicious tube rolling, it was interestingly and entertainingly musical.

advertisement

Back