advertisement

Top ten iconic turntables ...

These lists would be better if their purpose was set out more precisely - "best performing" isn't the same as "chosen to illustrate a specific design" for example; something which "iconic" tends to smudge over.

To my mind ‘iconic’ is a combination of truly exceptional design and lasting desirability. It is the stuff that remains highly sought-after long, long after its time. That is certainly how I framed my choices. A 301, 124, SL1200 MkII etc is the E-Type or Leica of turntable design. The Brinkman is the equivalent of a current range-topping high-spec Canon digital camera. Clearly very good, but ultimately no one will care in 40 years.

I rather liked the fact that it wasn't a list of megabucks superdecks. Most of the turntables he mentioned were well designed, to a price, and affordable. Even the 301 was £25 in 1954 (equivalent to about £500 today).

That's far more interesting to me than blingy £100k oligarch decks.

As I said elsewhere, no ADC Accutrac 4000, no Nakamichis, no Beogram 4000 and three bouncy belt drives that are all pretty similar (and the wrong Thorens - it should have been the TD150!)

I'm underwhelmed by his choices, frankly.

Exactly, the relevance is bland

These lists would be better if their purpose was set out more precisely - "best performing" isn't the same as "chosen to illustrate a specific design" for example; something which "iconic" tends to smudge over.

That said, it's just a bit of fun, and/or is contrived to prompt threads like these. Agree that the Brinkmann is obscure. Interesting that in the end he goes for a P10.

I think 'iconic' is fine as it stands. The Mini wasn't the best performing car of the 1960s but it's no less iconic than the E-Type.

Hmmm. Maybe a legend in his own mind...

Anyone who designs a loudspeaker with a single 4" driver nearly needs a lesson or two in acoustics and loudspeaker design.

Putting a single 4" driver in a cabinet is purely DIY, even I could possible find out.

As has been said, Iconic does not mean best, he must be close with his choices, if the esteemed Tony L has over half the same on his list.

As I said elsewhere, no ADC Accutrac 4000, no Nakamichis, no Beogram 4000 and three bouncy belt drives that are all pretty similar (and the wrong Thorens - it should have been the TD150!)

I'm underwhelmed by his choices, frankly.

Couldn't agree more...

Hmmm. Maybe a legend in his own mind...

Anyone who designs a loudspeaker with a single 4" driver nearly needs a lesson or two in acoustics and loudspeaker design.
Personally I have no interest in Iconic turntables from that list but the reviews of the Sibelius speaker have been exceptionally good not withstanding your comments, I bow to your expertise.

He comes across as a decent affable man to me rather in audio terms like the old country man from years back " jack Hargreaves "

He also gets involved with classical music recording.

If 'iconic' means design innovation/uniqueness and decades of (future?) reliability and popularity, I'd put Tom Fletcher's T/Ts up there; at least the heavy platter ones. Hardly innovative except for the skeleton-like and minimalist appearance, the Orbe etc. has been going now for over a generation. The old fruit-box is surely only iconic 'cos everybody and his dog (HMV?) has had one or lusted after one; design-wise, nothing special or innovative.

Just for fun I asked Google. Seems pretty clear.

d7Nfax1.png

Wow! Tough crowd here.

I thought this chap did quite well and was very sincere.

This stuff is all highly subjective - like telling someone how you like your steak cooked - so no surprise that each of our own lists would differ somewhat.

@paulfromcamden

Like paulfromcamden I was rather relieved that he didn't wade through a long list of megabuck machines on his list.

My pick for his showroom was a late model TECHNICS 1200, so I got that wrong.

I'll certainly give part 2 a look...

late model TECHNICS 1200

I never liked the sound from the old Technics decks.
Looked awfully too.

Must admit I went with a GR and later a MK7L (upstairs).
Got slowly used to the looks
Impressed by the build (apart from cue lever) and performance.
So easy to have a wide range of cartridges in head shells in use
Doubt I'd bother with other decks from now.

advertisement

Back