advertisement

Music for the coronation….hopefully

How they keep straight faces.....

LOL…..

my favourite 30 seconds or so is from about 1.55

the guy singing “ god save the king”, followed by the sopranos perfect rendition of the word “ Minge “.
Then the brass section just nailing it, whilst the recorders ( oboes ?? ) show what can be done with practice.

Inspirational !!

Oh, I know the original.

it’s great.

In fact, too good for Charlie’s coronation.

I thought this latest, amended version would be far more appropriate for someone of the calibre of our future king.

Oh, I know the original.

it’s great.

In fact, too good for Charlie’s coronation.

I thought this latest, amended version would be far more appropriate for someone of the calibre of our future king.
But then, it's been done for every coronation since George the Two, and is Chuck any worse than some of them? Look at Bertie, who became Edward VII. He apparently spent the time waiting for his Mum to snuff it bedding every other woman in the kingdom. Vicky wouldn't even let him see state papers. Yet, when he became king, he was surprisingly effective during his short reign. He almost single-handedly turned around Franco-British relations (highly inflammable, courtesy of the Boer War and the concentration camps, and the Fashoda Incident, which could have resulted in war). Chuck is much better prepared. But then, Bertie inherited an empire at the height of its powers, whereas Chuck inherited a vastly diminished country on the way down and unable to come to terms with its decline (according to the Financial Times, the Irish have started telling English jokes...). So, why not buck him up with a bit of decent music? I think he's going to need it.

Hilarious, but the original is untouchable:

Pity we don't hear the other three as well - Handel knew how to do drama in music.
I suspect that’s Handel’s own preferred tempo, but for me, as an entrance anthem, that is played much too fast. I much prefer this version:
Handel Coronation Anthems Harry Christophers The Sixteen - YouTube (as a bonus you’ve got the rest of the Coronation Suite there too)

I sing in a choir, and Zadok is part of our repertoire - Handel’s choral writing is very singable, and once you get an idea of his style, he’s actually pretty easy to learn (ask me about Beethoven sometime if you want to hear some choice swearwords…). But you know a composer is good if he can get sixty Irish people to shout “God Save the King!” repeatedly in front of witnesses.

As @tones notes, I think denying Charlie a good tune for his ring-walk when it was fine for, oh Edward VIII for a random example, is a little rich. Also, be careful what you wish for: if they strike out Handel, you might get something… worthy instead. Yech.

advertisement

Back