advertisement

What’s causing the radio pickup on my vinyl setup???

HifiDan

pfm Member
So, I was listening to some vinyl yesterday through my following system: Michell Orbe/Technoarm, Rega Apheta 2, Naim SuperLine into a Naim Supernait 2.

The SuperLine is the latest addition to my system (bought new a few weeks back).

I lifted the arm after a record had finished without the volume turned down, it was then I could hear music faintly coming out of the speakers which I concluded was from a radio station.

Being that the SuperLine is the latest addition and have never had this before, I’m assuming this could be the cause. Is there a way to confirm this and if so, how can I eradicate this?

Thanks,

Dan.

From the SuperLine manual:

721-C650-D-4-CE1-480-F-871-D-ADA1-AF61-E480.jpg

This perhaps isn’t at all helpful, and of course many people must be happy with theirs, but I know a couple of LP12 / SuperLine owners who soon gave up and switched to a Urika.

Being that the SuperLine is the latest addition and have never had this before, I’m assuming this could be the cause. Is there a way to confirm this...

Take it out. Try another phono stage. Even if it is the Superline you might be able to get rid of it. Very often a cable is acting as an antenna. There was a time I was picking up taxi chatter!

So and so. Sentences cannot grammatically start with a conjunction. 'So' is pretentious Americanism only.

My own exprience with an Orbe /SME5 etc, and Superline/S'cap may shed light on your RFI (radio frequency interference). I also got this over a long period and tried ferrite clamps to no effect. Can't remember whether this was with the Prefix K and boards which preceded the S'line as well, but eventually it became less and then disappeared.

I put it down to the deck and/or phono stage; I got taxi interference as well. All I can suggest is that you move the S'line as far away from the cart. and deck as poss, because it doesn't have filtering and can be susceptible to RFI. When I got my N/A/ Dais I had a lot of trouble with the motor (hum), involving replacement motors and moving it off the plinth and away from the platter etc.

It wasn't until I got rid of my Naim kit (esp. the S'line that I realised it was this causing the hum from the motor; I informed N.A. because there was no doubt about this. The S'line is a finicky and sensitive beast; also a p'i't'a' with its floating chassis when changing plugs or leads.

Are you near a radio transmitter? There aren't many MW and HF radio stations left these days.
FM stations don't often cause clear music
Unless you have a strong very local station, try experimenting with cable locations and only use shielded cables with shield connected at both ends.

Thank you all for your help so far, the S/line ain’t going anywhere though, after demoing and trying various other stages, this (for me) suits the sound I am trying to achieve the best.

I’ve just managed to get hold of some Townshend Audio platforms so will be moving everything around this week on my rack.

Due to a lack of space currently, I’ve got the S/line sitting next to the Orbe’s power supply on the same shelf (never liked doing this but had no choice). I have also noticed this has created a bit of noise from the Orbe’s motor, it’s clear that positioning on the rack is meaning they ain’t jamming together yet.

With platforms, I will now be able to have everything on its own shelf. This will also allow for better cable management so hopefully, this will sort it all out.

Dan.

It can be very difficult fitting everything in to the racks and keeping them looking reasonable. I remember reading the very helpful advice in the Naim instructions that you should position everything as far apart as possible. Yeah, ok...

I have had kit which I couldn't fit in without causing hum/noise issues and ultimately, it didn't stay. To me it's just a sign that it's not designed properly.

You shouldn't be getting this with such expensive kit. I have a humble Nait 1 and have never had any thing like this.

The last time I heard Radio Moscow was when using my grandfather's music centre (it didn't have a tuner/radio).

I once got very low level radio breakthrough on my Naim kit that disappeared when I realigned my tone arm cable.

[QUOTE So and so. Sentences cannot grammatically start with a conjunction. 'So' is pretentious Americanism only][/QUOTE]

Sentences cannot grammatically start with a conjunction
But ! they can !

There is nothing wrong with starting sentences with “and,” “but,” or "so" or other similar conjunctions. So, is a co-ordinating conjunction and SO ,it is perfectly OK (now , that's an Americanism) to use at the start of a sentence You may, however, encounter people who mistakenly believe that starting a sentence with a conjunction is an error... it's not.(even in English english ). But, I digress...

PS one caveat, the ensuing sentence must contain a subject and predicate.

You shouldn't be getting this with such expensive kit. I have a humble Nait 1 and have never had any thing like this.

The last time I heard Radio Moscow was when using my grandfather's music centre (it didn't have a tuner/radio).
Russia transmitted at extremely high power levels at HF aka SW, which has peculiar transmission properties, allowing fairly high signal levels in the UK.Mostly these HF transmitters are long gone.

'a' pretentious Americanism only.
There is nothing wrong with starting sentences with “and,” “but,” or "so" or other similar conjunctions.

Indefinite article not essential in that context, Mr Pig.:D
Def. of a conjunction is that it joins/coordinates phrases/sentences etc. (New O.E.D.). I agree that 'so' can have other uses (adverb) but no way can it introduce a paragraph or initiate a reply as correct grammar usage. This IS pretentious and also unnecessary and wrong. However, this is detracting from the O.P.'s query

One thing the Superline isn't, resistant to - rf.
. I have also noticed this has created a bit of noise from the Orbe’s motor

Exactly what I experienced with the low torque N.A. motor, but surprised it happens with the Orbe, though mine was an AC motor and I believe they're different now. I did investigate the causes of the S'line's sensitivity to RFI more than a decade ago and the general conclusion was that it had a very wide bandwidth (with little/no filtering) as in that Naim extract above. They need very careful positioning and space if poss. A clever design but i.m.o. a little impractical, esp. if you need to change arms and loading plugs. Worked well with my 552 but blown into the weeds (they say) by my onboard valve stages (a bit unfair as the two pre's are totally dissimilar)

I have a humble Nait 1 and have never had any thing like this.

I had all sorts of Naim amplification over a generation but it was only the phono stage elements which attracted RFI.

Last edited:
So, I was listening to some vinyl yesterday through my following system: Michell Orbe/Technoarm, Rega Apheta 2, Naim SuperLine into a Naim Supernait 2.

The SuperLine is the latest addition to my system (bought new a few weeks back).

I lifted the arm after a record had finished without the volume turned down, it was then I could hear music faintly coming out of the speakers which I concluded was from a radio station.

Being that the SuperLine is the latest addition and have never had this before, I’m assuming this could be the cause. Is there a way to confirm this and if so, how can I eradicate this?

Thanks,

Dan.

Years ago, when I was living in northamptonshire, I had a 52/supercap with sme 20/vdh grasshopper 4, which used to pick up a russian radio station regularly - very annoying

@HifiDan. Don’t worry about it. The arm cable and Superline are just picking up a HF radio station. The degree of interference will cycle by time of day and time of year. Early evening and early winter being the most severe. If it is annoying you, just put the smallest capacitor loading plug in the Superline. That will help reject the interference.

Take it out. Try another phono stage. Even if it is the Superline you might be able to get rid of it. Very often a cable is acting as an antenna. There was a time I was picking up taxi chatter!

The Rega Aura is incredibly well shielded, 13 Kilos of thick casework, mine is dead quiet not to mention amazingly musical..

advertisement

Back