advertisement

VESA mounting hole location on 2021/2022 line of LG and Panasonic OLEDs

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
In a few days my joiner will wall-mount my 50-inch Panasonic plasma so that the bottom edge of the screen is 1200mm above the floor and thus above the 'ear level reflection zone' of my speakers. My Panasonic has 400mm x 300mm VESA mounting holes, and the lower holes are 300mm up from the bottom edge of the screen.

I know that LG's 48-inch, 55-inch and 65-inch OLEDs use 300mm x 200mm VESA, but I don't know how far up from the bottom of the TV the VESA is located. I'd have thought this info would have been in the owners manual but it isn't. I'd therefore be extremely grateful if an owner of a 2021 or 2022 model could measure the distance from the bottom of the screen to the lower row of VESA holes and let me know please. :)

Also, for those of you who've wall-mounted your LG OLED did you find the location of the aerial/HDMI/RJ45/toslink/USB sockets on the back to be a problem? On my Panasonic all of the cables plug in either from below or from the side so the TV can be mounted as close to the wall as you want without having to worry about cables hitting the wall.

I was under the impression that LG OLEDs had the VESA mounting holes nearer the bottom of the TV but I've just had a look at the G2 series and the mount is at the top. This makes it incredibly difficult to choose an appropriate height for the wall plate as, depending on the model of TV I get, the screen could end up significantly higher or lower on the wall than I intended!

I was under the impression that LG OLEDs had the VESA mounting holes nearer the bottom of the TV but I've just had a look at the G2 series and the mount is at the top. This makes it incredibly difficult to choose an appropriate height for the wall plate as, depending on the model of TV I get, the screen could end up significantly higher or lower on the wall than I intended!

our LG OLED 55" has no Vesa mounting plate holes, mind you it is a curved screen. I think you need to bite the bullet, and expect to have to have the mount moved if you change the TV

I used a right angled aerial plug and it still touches the wall.
That's surprising, I'd have expected a right-angled aerial plug to give sufficient clearance. I was more concerned about the HDMIs, which get pretty bulky once you add on a right-angled adapter to the end of the cable.

Suppose it all depends on the clearance the wall Mount gives. Mine was fixed, no swing out or anything.

Are you sure you want it that high? Potential for neck ache.
I don't really have a choice if I want to avoid it adversely affecting the room's acoustics (the thought of throwing a heavy blanket over it on a daily basis isn't appealing). I watch TV in a recliner and have managed to tolerate the past ten years with my tv sat on top of a 115cm hi-fi rack. Hopefully my neck will continue to be ok but if it becomes an issue I do have leeway to move my chair further away from the TV to lessen the viewing angle. I sit just 1.75m away from the front wall when listening to my hifi but am able to move back to 2.4m when watching TV. I was considering a 65-inch screen but I've marked out the size on the wall and reckon it's too big for the height it'll be hung at. A 55" OLED is actually the exact same height as my 50" plasma and just a few centimetres wider so I think that's the sweet spot size.

I just got a 55 C2 a couple of weeks ago and the holes are indeed off centre (not a great deal) but I have a mounting bracket that allows for some placement options so I didn't really take note. The box of electronics etc attached to the panel is below centre and I suspect that the VESA mount is in the centre of it from memory.

According to LG the optimum viewing distance is between 30 and 40 degrees of your field of vision to be taken up by the screen, so for a 55" tv you should sit between 1.7m and 2.3m away and for a 65" tv you should sit between 2.0m and 2.7m away.

I have a 55 G2 in front of me.

The lower VESA mounting is 120mm from the base of the screen.

It is also supplied with a separate integrated wall mounting, which is at the top of the screen which is what you might be seeing in images.

The HDMI plugs, power, ariel connections exit parallel to the screen, within a recess, so shouldn't hold the screen away from the wall.

I have a 55 G2 in front of me.

The lower VESA mounting is 120mm from the base of the screen.

It is also supplied with a separate integrated wall mounting, which is at the top of the screen which is what you might be seeing in images.

The HDMI plugs, power, ariel connections exit parallel to the screen, within a recess, so shouldn't hold the screen away from the wall.

Very helpful, thank you! :)

You're right, the four captive bolts near the top of the G2 are for LG's own wall mount, the VESA holes are near the bottom. Looking at online images of OLEDs, it looks like most have the VESA mounting holes in the bottom half of the screen.

My Panasonic plasma's VESA holes are in the top half of the screen, 180mm higher than the LG, but I've worked out that there is enough adjustment in the mounting strips to reduce the height difference to 100mm. In other words, if I put the wall plate at a height that's perfect for the LG's VESA holes, my Panasonic will sit 100mm lower than this.

It therefore makes sense to mount the VESA wall plate at a height that suits the VESA holes on the OLEDs because I'll probably be upgrading my tv soon and I can live with my tv being 100mm too low for a few months.

I've narrowed my choice of new TV down to an LG or Panasonic OLED.

Thanks to @bor I now know that the VESA mounting holes on the LGs start 120mm from the bottom of the screen. I've dragged an online image of the 55" Panasonic LZ980/LZ1000/LZ1500 into photoshop to guesstimate the location of the 300mm x 300mm VESA and it's telling me around 100mm-110mm up from the bottom, but I'm not sure if that's correct as it's also telling me that the distance between the 300mm VESA holes is around 250mm! I don't suppose we have a Panasonic OLED owner on here who would be kind enough to measure from the bottom of their screen up to the first of VESA hole? :)

EDIT - I've just noticed the Panasonic OLED models are significantly deeper than the LGs, 69mm vs 45mm, so the screen will stick out quite far when wall-mounted. My TX-P50GT50B plasma is thinner than both at just 41mm.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back