advertisement

Metal

I have been enjoying Danse Macabre, the Celtic Frost LP boxset tghat features their releases on the Noise label up to Into The Pandemonium.

Also, been enjoying early Candlenass and Kreator from the same label, so it's been a Noise-fest!

On the Death Metal front, the new Autopsy and Bloodbath LPs are pretty good,

I have been enjoying Danse Macabre, the Celtic Frost LP boxset tghat features their releases on the Noise label up to Into The Pandemonium.

Also, been enjoying early Candlenass and Kreator from the same label, so it's been a Noise-fest!

On the Death Metal front, the new Autopsy and Bloodbath LPs are pretty good,

Yeah I’ve enjoyed the new Bloodbath too.

In a more progressive but still pretty heavy vein, the new Antichrist Imperium is great IMO.

And in a topical way, the most recent album called False Light by White Ward is really good (in case the band name looks dodgy to native English speaking eyes, it’s not, it’s a reference to the white walls of a hospital ward). Black metal with a touch of doom jazz, by a band from Odessa in Ukraine. They even managed to play a show there not long ago.

Oh, the new Sigh album too.

I like metal, but only really I think if it's mixed with something else. Like punk for eg. I've been really getting into grindcore last year, which I think is metal turbo'd & mixed with (&/or hardcore/ punk/ death metal/ blsvk metal/ or fk only knows what metal. Really intense, strong dose of aggression & ideally humour.. is my thing.

GHOUL are my favourites by a mile. I found them out by chance trawling the Obscene Extreme czech festival of (often hilariously " b-movie") nutty grindcore musical insanity. Great musicianship, drums especially, guitar tones, pantomime gore, great humour & melodies. Got the full thing for me, spot on (sort of The Damned but in ott metal form-?). Very small band with loyal following they crowdfunded for a new van recently.

And Ratos De Porao too: fast hardcore punk/metal mix mostly, mixing grindcore in too last 10 years or so. Intense!

Ratos de Porao from brasil here. 2 songs at the czech festival. Prolly on the fringes of metal to most on the thread.. but suitably nasty surely! If so just check out the drummer anyway (& my desert island bass tone/ absolutely glorious)..

Not making a point at all, read it more like "whoah, old school, man". To be honest, most stuff I listen to is.

I only had a 2000 release of theirs (on Alternative Tentacles). It had their first album as the last track as I remember. Hopefully I've still got a rip off that CD somewhere.

Not making a point at all, read it more like "whoah, old school, man". To be honest, most stuff I listen to is.

I only had a 2000 release of theirs (on Alternative Tentacles). It had their first album as the last track as I remember. Hopefully I've still got a rip off that CD somewhere.

The beast is old that's for sure.. butas they're same lineup/ pretty impressively / since 89, & -I think- leaning to add a bit more metal prolly wanting a bit of the 'new' grindcore scene 10 yrs ago did this mayhem start (?) I thought it a worthy inclusion. If a bit leftfield for the typical dark gloomy metal thing I bet most of the links added are.

I'm only a newbie to this grindcore stuff tho/ only ascertaining my way. Do you have early RDP albums? I bet these are too fast-punk for me. If you know what I mean.

I don't have any RDP albums anymore, I only had that one CD a while ago. I think I came to them via Sepultura or perhaps Nailbomb, or maybe even on a thanks list for some other band.

The beast is old that's for sure.. butas they're same lineup/ pretty impressively / since 89, & -I think- leaning to add a bit more metal prolly wanting a bit of the 'new' grindcore scene 10 yrs ago did this mayhem start (?) I thought it a worthy inclusion. If a bit leftfield for the typical dark gloomy metal thing I bet most of the links added are.

I'm only a newbie to this grindcore stuff tho/ only ascertaining my way. Do you have early RDP albums? I bet these are too fast-punk for me. If you know what I mean.

Old school doesn’t mean old material, it means material of whatever age that’s in a classic older style.

The recent (2022) Bloodbath album mentioned above is popular with some people precisely because it’s very much old school death metal.

I saw RDP and DRI in São Paulo a few years ago, great stuff. Bet they were ace to watch at OEF, it’s a fantastic festival.

Though if early RDP is too fast for you, a lot of grindcore could come as a bit of a shock! Not that that should put you off though, hope you enjoy looking further into it.

Bloodbath!! Hahaha.. oh man. I wonder if a difficult 2 month band consensus finally decided on that name. Some of these names, so funny. The OE festival/ grindcore scene has some hilarious ones.

The one I actually rather like though, which is both a suitably nasty word & is actually a kinda beautiful word in a kinda lyrical way (rather than it's actual meaning!).. is Cartilage. Just pings. Fab grindcore name.

Ghoul though. Like nomeansno (ween, beefheart, beck, capt sensible/damned, but Im damned if I can think of any others tbh) have a genuine wit. Very rarely found bc musicians takes themselves far too seriously. And Zappa.. isnt amusing sorry. Beefheart IS.

@White Zombie that RDP brasil album one one sounds better maybe than the ..sinistro 2014 one I had in mind to buy. The guitar & bass tones just marry so damn well with this band. Bass reminds me of nomeansno, & their sound too sometimes/ alternative tentacles stablemates too of course late 80's onward etc. Kicks ass.. great stuff.

Just 'resurrecting' (a clever pun, near easter & doomy too) the thread.

I'm adding a reference point, from -way- back in the early 90's.

Because metal hasn't since I think, & just doesn't get better than this in my opinion.

(I'm still laughing at the name Bloodbath!)

I've not heard Chaos A.D. in a while - I bought it when it came out, mine came with this stiff card A3 'poster' thing. Loved it at the time but only Arise and Beneath the Remains have lasted as long. Still cool to hear it again though.

If you want to laugh at grindcore band-names check out Seth Putnam's former bands. An interesting character.

I've not heard Chaos A.D. in a while - I bought it when it came out, mine came with this stiff card A3 'poster' thing. Loved it at the time but only Arise and Beneath the Remains have lasted as long. Still cool to hear it again though.

If you want to laugh at grindcore band-names check out Seth Putnam's former bands. An interesting character.

I've been guiltily looking at all my 90's Lp's (mostly grunge & US indie) I overlook to spin, as surely none sound too fab on the Lp12 (bar Nevermind prolly).. & I was dead wrong: Chaos AD sounds flippin GREAT & not a hint of 'aging' too in my book. Maybe to a metal purist like yourself it would. I'd pretty much forgotten this Lp I bought back in the golden years of rock/ indie. Dig out your Lp, & play it fkn loud I say.

Capt

advertisement

Back