advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

Yes superb . And the documentary about hans zimmer afterwards was great . Can you believe this guy was kicked out of 8 schools and only coming to a uk progressive school saved him

Bloodlands series 2 was a bit shite in the end, all a bit reservoir dogs.

I've no doubt that during the troubles there were plenty of people getting away with murder, literally, and blaming it on the 'paramilitaries' but this series was just a wee bit ridiculous.

Aye it's excellent but there's really only so many ways you can say 'this food is good' he is very good though and the scenery is beautiful.
And there's always lots of insight into local food Producers and Chefs and a bit of social history or art etc too.

but this series was just a wee bit ridiculous.

Yes, it was, Tony, but better than the last series; more harrowing, unpredictable and infinitely watchable. Maybe it was James Nesbit at the top of his career, a different, albeit ridiculous) story line with soap-opera cliff-hangers or the decent supporting cast, but it was prime watching for me.

As it followed Frozen Planet, though, it could've just been the contrast between the two. :D

The trawler programme tonight at 8pm was amazing .18 hours a day wirking to catch crabs , the various accidents and the financial committment is awesome .one chap had a million pound loan on his boat ...wow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001d7lc A Storyville documentary in which film-maker Werner Herzog pays homage to French volcanologists Katia and Maurice Krafft, who were killed in a pyroclastic flow in Japan in 1991.
The film consists of the highlights of over 400 hours of them visiting erupting volcanos. Tremendous photography. Lots of close ups / narrow escapes. It's a beautiful but ultimately tragic film but at least they died doing what they loved and more so, they did so expecting that's what would happen and saying over and over again that they'd have no regrets doing so.

Yes, it was, Tony, but better than the last series; more harrowing, unpredictable and infinitely watchable. Maybe it was James Nesbit at the top of his career, a different, albeit ridiculous) story line with soap-opera cliff-hangers or the decent supporting cast, but it was prime watching for me.

As it followed Frozen Planet, though, it could've just been the contrast between the two. :D

Aye I enjoyed it but the ending was just stupid.

The trawler programme tonight at 8pm was amazing .18 hours a day wirking to catch crabs , the various accidents and the financial committment is awesome .one chap had a million pound loan on his boat ...wow

Growing up in Whitby I came into contact with Fisherman. There was some very serious money won and lost on card games when they had a big catch. On a coach trip to an FA Cup game to watch Whitby Town play Dagenham an old local Fisherman told my friend it was the first time he’d ever left Whitby by road. Chap I worked with was an ex trawler man, he lost half a finger in the winch and spent 2 days with his hand in ice.

It’s very hard and dangerous work, it can be financially rewarding for the owner of the vessel but there’s no Caribbean holidays for the crew men.

Cheers BB

Growing up in Whitby I came into contact with Fisherman. There was some very serious money won and lost on card games when they had a big catch. On a coach trip to an FA Cup game to watch Whitby Town play Dagenham an old local Fisherman told my friend it was the first time he’d ever left Whitby by road. Chap I worked with was an ex trawler man, he lost half a finger in the winch and spent 2 days with his hand in ice.

It’s very hard and dangerous work, it can be financially rewarding for the owner of the vessel but there’s no Caribbean holidays for the crew men.

Cheers BB
indeed i love to watch the trawlermen in brixham , a multmillion pound port for fishing

There's a new series of Louis Theroux interviews. In these he's talking to celebrities, and the ones I've seen so far haven't been very revealing. He doesn't seem keen to dig into his subjects, probably because their handlers won't allow it. The interviews are filmed such that the lights, cameras and microphones are clearly visible, which I suppose is a heavy hint to the viewer that what you're watching is staged.

advertisement

Back