advertisement

world cup 2022

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
should we watch or not?

mixed feelings here, for me I am not sure I can support this in any way

the more people that watch the more the spot light is turned on the country.

Spent some time working there, quite a divided place

the more people that watch the more the spot light is turned on the country.

Spent some time working there, quite a divided place
No, because watching is a passive activity, it has no effect on Qatar. It will actually support the human rights abusing, corrupt regime because they will be able to point to millions of TV viewers. I'm not going to watch and will actively boycott the major sponsors and advertisers.

should we watch or not?

mixed feelings here, for me I am not sure I can support this in any way

Yes, it was a crap and corrupt decision to stage it in Qatar (care of Blatter & Platini) and would be much better for my conscience if it was in a scrupulously clean country like Switzerland (yikes Nazi gold) or the UK (erm the triangular trade) or Germany (WW2). My point is very few countries are untainted by their past plus I don't remember many objections to Russia in 2018 having already stolen Crimea in 2014 and Brazil in 2014/SA 2010 are countries of huge social inequality and corruption.

Cricket T20 World Cup in the land of convicts first, as well as 3 x Rugby League World Cups starting tomorrow. Won't watch the footie in Quatar, bad enough having them here in the PL.

I don't remember many objections to Russia in 2018 having already stolen Crimea in 2014
Thanks, needed to be said.

In Qatar, the damage is done, so at this point why not at least let our grandchildren have some fun in front of the TV and on the schoolyard.

Thanks, needed to be said.

In Qatar, the damage is done, so at this point why not at least let our grandchildren have some fun in front of the TV and on the schoolyard.
You pick your battles. Futile to get into a “my regime is more oppressive than yours” argument. But there could and should have been a targeted boycott against awarding the WC to a blatantly and extensively repressive regime that operates de facto slave labour, oppresses women and criminalises LGBT. And significantly, in contradistinction to Russia or Brazil, has absolutely no football pedigree. You can argue that it’s good to break new ground and expand the game, for example awarding the WC to the United States or S. Africa, but that is not what the awarding to Qatar is concerned with.

I won't watch it. I'm a Newport County season ticket holder and a Wales supporter.
It seems a step too far and corrupt from conception to the finals, even in a sport dominated by greed and dishonesty.
My moral line is somewhat arbitrary but I would not feel comfortable watching it.
So myself and Eric Cantona, who shares my view, will be having a quiet pint during matches in a non Wetherspoons pub somewhere.
Feel free to join us.

I love my club team and go as often as I can but the game went a long time ago as far as I’m concerned. The World Cup in Qatar is just another ‘F**k You’ from the football hierarchy, only interested in the bottom line. I’m waiting for no relegation form the Premier League to follow next.

Anyway, I’ll try not to watch it but it may get the better of me.

Cheers BB

awarding the WC to a blatantly and extensively repressive regime
The World Cups I remember:

1974 Germany - OK but massive accusations of bad/corrupt refereeing (well this repeats itself more or less every time)
1978 Argentina - not OK, General Videla, and Peru probably accepted payment by Argentina for losing 0-6
1982 Spain - OK apart from the Disgrace of Gijón
1986 Mexico - not OK, a repressive regime, but Maradona beat England :D
1990 Italy - not OK, regime run by mafia who also financed much of the project including stadiums
1994 US - OK
1998 France - OK, but at the final Brazil simply not played, don't try to convince me that everything went as it should
2002 Japan/Korea - OK, but loads of stadiums built for nothing
2006 Germany OK
2010 South Africa, more or less OK apart from the vuvuzelas
2014 Brazil - so-so but loads of stadiums built for nothing
2018 Russia [cough]
2022 Qatar oh well.

Somehow it is only logical that the time has now come for countries new to football, like China or India. Why refuse it to them ? Although I would prefer to see African nations which have managed to increase their footballistic level. But they have a whole lot of other problems to solve first. And ensuring safety for its workers is an issue for all these countries, not only Qatar. Bamboo scaffoldings in India anyone ?

advertisement

Back