advertisement

What were your upgrades of 2021?

My wife, who generally considers hifi an invasion of her personal space, just loved a pair of Dark Titanium Wilson Sabrina. She still loves then. I had a friend round and for his tastes they are lacking in bass, which I understand, but they suit my musical tastes perfectly. They are the second pair of floor standing speakers I've ever owned (40 years owning hifi) and not obtrusive. The first pair was a pair of ESL63, which the wife booted out within a month.

My dealer stocks Martin Logan, but after the ESL experience we didn't go there. I think she made a passing comment about them, not repeatable! They have a lot more bass and would probably need some room correction.
They have 2 subs each and come with ARC room correction, the built in dsp eq works very well, so much so that I was able to do without the Lyngdorf room perfect.

Atacama SL600 stands:

Very heavy as they are; but mass loaded with Alta bites & volcanic sand; they now weigh nigh on 35kg each and they’re superb under the rather large JBL 308P MK II monitors

2021 just a Node 2i to replace my last generation Naim streamer
2022 nothing yet, I need to keep it this way too!

Just managed to squeeze in a CD upgrade today before they all become a thing of the past. Naim CD5Si now playing back through the Selekt dsm Katalyst and sounding very open and detailed, good bass, sweet highs and an un-muddled mid, loads more detail coming through.
I think CD will follow in vinyl's footsteps and have a renaissance at some point.

Tons of upgrades in 2021

- Living room: new apartment with large, open living space
- Speakers: Rega RS3 -> Naim Ovator S400
- Amp: Naim UnitiQute 2 -> NAP200 (w. UQ2 as pre)
- MiniDSP running Dirac Live
- Phono stage: Naim boards w. teddyregs -> Arkless
- Cartridge: 2M Bronze -> 2M Black

Writing this makes me wonder if I have a problem.

Main system:
Naim SN2 -> 282/250
B&W 804S -> Shahinian Arc 2 (downgrade, imo)
MK mains cables -> Naim Powerline Lite

Family room:
Arcam AVR250 -> Marantz NR1711 (huge improvement)

Bedroom: iPhone on nightstand -> Naim Muso 2 Wood Edition

My biggest changes in 2021:

Auralic Aries G2/Vega G2/Leo GX --> dCS Bartok (better, not massive differences I just preferred the dCS over time)

Lyngdorf TDAI3400 --> Luxman L-590AXII (took a while and some swapping back/forth over several months to finally decide and sell the Lyngdorf)​

Loads of other used buys/sales and also bought shed loads of LPs due to the amount of spare time with Covid/Lockdown/Shielding.

All the best to everyone and their families for 2022 and a big thanks to Tony!

what do you think of the sound impact of the Leo? I have the vega etc and considering the leo…

biggest change for a few years:

New amp and phonostage have arrived.

have gone from a roksan k2 —> sugden a21se + Darlington mp-7 phonostage. That’s me done now for a while now.

biggest change for a few years:

New amp and phonostage have arrived.

have gone from a roksan k2 —> sugden a21se + Darlington mp-7 phonostage. That’s me done now for a while now.

ohh that is a nice combo, congrats.
Interesting to see smaller companies like Darlington faring well. Hope they keep growing organically.

Just about to embark on an update. Have settled on a Yamaha RN2000A, Maggie .7s and a Rega 8 TT. Funds pending but it’s going to be a sea change for me I’m sure. So there may be an Yammy 803D(gem)and Maggie LRS(enlightening)speakers in the add section quite soon if anyone is interested;)

ohh that is a nice combo, congrats.
Interesting to see smaller companies like Darlington faring well. Hope they keep growing organically.

yeh agree. I found a 2nd hand unit for £280 and took a punt on it. It was meant as a stop gap till I had more funds for something better but it sounds great.

Change from Prima Luna Evo 400 to Luxman 590AXII

Change from Aqua La Voce S3 to Aqua La Scala II Optologic

Change from Hana ML to Hana Umami Red

Change from SME309 to SME V

New power supply coming for my Auralic G2.

Going from strength to strength, loving ever note that comes out of it all right now.

Just about to embark on an update. Have settled on a Yamaha RN2000A, Maggie .7s and a Rega 8 TT. Funds pending but it’s going to be a sea change for me I’m sure. So there may be an Yammy 803D(gem)and Maggie LRS(enlightening)speakers in the add section quite soon if anyone is interested;)

The RN2000A is beautiful. I'm sure you're going to love it. And meters too, Del!!!

I love my Luxman 505uxii for the way it sounds. The meters are just the cherry on the icing :)

Will be fascinated to hear how it shapes up with the Rega 8 and the Maggie's. What a fun journey we're all going to have hearing how it goes.

The RN2000A is beautiful. I'm sure you're going to love it. And meters too, Del!!!

I love my Luxman 505uxii for the way it sounds. The meters are just the cherry on the icing :)

Will be fascinated to hear how it shapes up with the Rega 8 and the Maggie's. What a fun journey we're all going to have hearing how it goes.
This is probably the only chance I will have in my lifetime to make a change like this.I like the Yammy 803D with my LRS speakers but I think the newer version will add more quality and current. I’m hoping to have it together by Christmas. I’m fascinated but also confident it will be great. The .7s should add a little more scale and detail without overwhelming the space I have. Excited. I’m looking forward to hearing what the Rega will pull out of my lovely vinyl collection. Gonna need a good record cleaner I think.

Change from Prima Luna Evo 400 to Luxman 590AXII

Change from Aqua La Voce S3 to Aqua La Scala II Optologic

Change from Hana ML to Hana Umami Red

Change from SME309 to SME V

New power supply coming for my Auralic G2.

Going from strength to strength, loving ever note that comes out of it all right now.

Could you tell us more about going to The Luxman from The Prima Luna and going from Hana ML to Umami Red Mr Flutteringwow? :)

This is probably the only chance I will have in my lifetime to make a change like this.I like the Yammy 803D with my LRS speakers but I think the newer version will add more quality and current. I’m hoping to have it together by Christmas. I’m fascinated but also confident it will be great. The .7s should add a little more scale and detail without overwhelming the space I have. Excited. I’m looking forward to hearing what the Rega will pull out of my lovely vinyl collection. Gonna need a good record cleaner I think.

Really looking forward to how you get on with this too Del., I’ve been a keen reader of your posts extolling your LRS and 803 pairing.
I’m happy for you that you’re now in a position for an upgrade. Be more good reading to come no doubt.
All the best, Phil.

advertisement

Back