advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singapore is probably the only 'benign' dictatorship in the world. It has many benefits but is not for everyone. It is a one party state. If you don't support that party you are 're-educated' or you leave. The prime minister is the son of the guy who took Singapore away from Malaya and earns $2.2 million a year. It works partly because of it's position and the fact that there is almost no unemployment benefit. Try telling a British 'fatty' that being over weight is not a disabilty and get a job or starve ... I spend time travelling in South East Asia and a lot of people in surrounding countries would like to live like Singapore but I don't think that model would work in a big country and there is probably only space for one or 2 Singapores in the world.I don't think the UK is one of them.

Such places work because there’s a lot of money to make them work.
I worked in Macau for a year as an employee ages ago and didn’t have to pay income tax. At the end of the year the Government distributed some of the gambling and prost money among the residents. My current account gave 8%/year. Yes, you need money to make it work.

^ Singapore has nearly 10 times the population of Macau.
When Lee Kuan Yew became PM in 1959 Singapore was a small swampy island much poorer than the UK. That is no longer the case and it is not based on gambling.

I wonder what BrExit voters think of the great job this current Government of unelected bureaucrats is doing…

Must feel good to take back control.

I do take your point about 'unelected', because the Truss government isn't enacting the manifesto policies upon which the Johnson government was elected. Or is it, I can't remember? Perhaps the Johnson government wasn't enacting the manifesto policies upon which it was elected.

Anyway, in two years time (less than?) the current government will be judged upon the policies that it has enacted, and power will be restored to the electorate. Meanwhile, the European Commission will remain unelected, and unaccountable.

Meanwhile, the European Commission will remain unelected, and unaccountable.

Must be doing something well... 1 Euro to Great British Pound

9abAsv0.png

I do take your point about 'unelected', because the Truss government isn't enacting the manifesto policies upon which the Johnson government was elected. Or is it, I can't remember? Perhaps the Johnson government wasn't enacting the manifesto policies upon which it was elected.

Anyway, in two years time (less than?) the current government will be judged upon the policies that it has enacted, and power will be restored to the electorate. Meanwhile, the European Commission will remain unelected, and unaccountable.
EV. You’re going down with the ship and I salute that.

That’s quite perceptive given where I am at the moment. :) Seriously though, it’s time to get rid of the Tory Party once and for all. Good luck for the future.

Where are you? Milan...?

The voter will, in due course, decide, as it should be.

I have to say, I was thrilled by Stier Kalmer's speech at conference today. The passion, OMG!

There is surely hope?

Must be doing something well... 1 Euro to Great British Pound

9abAsv0.png

I think you're getting your parities confused. The £ Sterling buys €1.2 this evening. Not magnificent, for sure, but not €1/£1 either.

A Euro, meanwhile, collects $98 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back