advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

It certainly all makes partygate and Rishi being wealthy etc a bit of an insignificance.

Tell that to the people who lost family and couldn’t go to their funerals while they were having parties.

Nice try with the deflection and whataboutery right enough.

It certainly all makes partygate and Rishi being wealthy etc a bit of an insignificance.

Not at all. Decent people should never accept or normalise political corruption and criminality, especially not of the massive scale of the Johnson government. That Tories like yourself seem so happy to is beyond horrifying. It fully explains the underlying mindset and trajectory that allows fascism to emerge.

Same here. Or, as we were advised, ‘Better to buy a grotty house in a nice area than a nice house in a grotty area’.

Ideally buy a nice house in a grotty area that will soon be a nice area and then you can lord it over the plebs on hifi forums for the next 30 years.

Not at all. Decent people should never accept or normalise political corruption and criminality, especially not of the massive scale of the Johnson government. That Tories like yourself seem so happy to is beyond horrifying. It fully explains the underlying mindset and trajectory that allows fascism to emerge.

Boris was an idiot. Rishi is wealthy, which some seem to rank as a bigger negative than his ability to do the job.

Ideally buy a nice house in a grotty area that will soon be a nice area and then you can lord it over the plebs on hifi forums for the next 30 years.
It’s a risky strategy though. You might choose Hull as a place to live thinking ‘Well, it can only get better, surely’.

When our younger daughter was looking at university prospectuses quite a long time ago, I noticed one with a glossy cover picture of a gondola on a sandy beach, with a cloudless blue sky. I wondered where this semi-tropical wonderland might be. Then I read the title: ‘Welcome to the University of Hull’.

When our younger daughter was looking at university prospectuses quite a long time ago, I noticed one with a glossy cover picture of a gondola on a sandy beach, with a cloudless blue sky. I wondered where this semi-tropical wonderland might be. Then I read the title: ‘Welcome to the University of Hull’.

If you had looked closely you might just have made out the Humber bridge in the background, behind the gondola.

Boris was an idiot. Rishi is wealthy, which some seem to rank as a bigger negative than his ability to do the job.

Sunak’s family tax and nationality situation said all one needed to know about his attitude. He was quite happy to define economic policy and taxation for the rest of us in this country, far less prepared to be a citizen, let alone pay his own taxes here. He is just another crooked oligarch of the type one always finds funding the Tory party from afar. Another multi-millionsire Rees Mogg type taking the job for insight, influence and personal gain. Do you honestly think these global elite grifters are acting in the national interest? Seriously?

PS Looking at the current economy, value of Sterling, gilts etc at least we now know what Kate Andrews, the IEA, and all the other dodgy right-wing ‘think tanks’ have been lobbying for all these years…

Or if living in London a nice house in a grotty area that will soon be an overhyped but still grotty area. With artisan coffee shops.
A week or so ago there was a BBC piece entitled ‘Is this Britain’s best high street?’ (Or words to that effect). I clicked on the article, and the high street in question was - Deptford. Things have come to a pretty pass when Deptford is the best that Britain can manage as an exemplar.

A week or so ago there was a BBC piece entitled ‘Is this Britain’s best high street?’ (Or words to that effect). I clicked on the article, and the high street in question was - Deptford. Things have come to a pretty pass when Deptford is the best that Britain can manage as an exemplar.

You can tell Deptford is coming up in the world when a landlord starts cranking up the rent, driving out the interesting small shops and hires consultants to 'curate' the area.

I give it a year before it's wall to wall Carhartt shops and Aveda salons.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dept...ed-to-close-as-landlord-demands-30-rent-hike/

From that widely quoted Spectator article on Trussenomics, quotes from one of Truss economists:

"Isn’t that a recipe for instant instability? Won’t the markets punish Britain with far higher borrowing costs, as Sunak says? Jessop says the markets will recognise a strategy for higher growth and finance the transition. ‘If tax cuts do mean more borrowing in the short term, I’m completely relaxed about that,’ he says. ‘I suspect the markets will be as well. If the consequence of this is a stronger economy and stronger public finances over the longer term, that’s a positive outcome that markets will actually quite like.’"

BTW Minford, Jessop and Lyons is a quite breathtakingly bad lineup. It's like they took all the Brexit economists lined them up in order of bonkers-ness and took the three right at the back.

advertisement

Back