advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

Preview of the last part of the AJ documentary - two members of the Labour right messaging each other about Shami Chakrabarti:

Fdpm2K6XkAAIDIM

Fdpm46_XoAA2l0a

Tracey's use of the brown face emoji is a nice touch.

Ian McNicol is now a Labour lord (sadly, the price Corbyn had to pay to get rid of him and install his own preferred general secretary).

Racist scum, basically.

Preview of the last part of the AJ documentary - two members of the Labour right messaging each other about Shami Chakrabarti:

Fdpm2K6XkAAIDIM

Fdpm46_XoAA2l0a

Tracey's use of the brown face emoji is a nice touch.

Ian McNicol is now a Labour lord (sadly, the price Corbyn had to pay to get rid of him and install his own preferred general secretary).

Racist scum, basically.

https://labourlist.org/2019/05/jere...ntisemitism-but-was-held-back-by-bureaucracy/
https://labourlist.org/2020/04/internal-report-lays-bare-poor-handling-of-complaints-by-labour/
https://news.sky.com/story/labour-a...l-not-be-sent-to-equality-commission-11972071

Crikey even Sky!

I'm wondering just how broken the Tories will have to make Britain before some of the posters on this thread accept that
- Things were really somewhat better under Blair & Brown (aside from the wars, of course)
- The only realistic way of getting the Tories out of power is to vote tactically, which will mean voting for the Labour candidate if they are most likely to win in your constituency.

I held my nose and voted for Biden and the Democrats - and thank f*ck so did a lot of other American lefties.

Starmer is doing that grey man speaking thing. Very dull, safe and Conservative.

PS Yes, I used a capital ‘C’. Deal with it.

Wow, he’s proposing nationalising energy! Wasn’t expecting that! The bloody Corbynite!

He seems to be saying that he'd set up a new company in competition with the big players with foreign backing. That's far from being the same thing..

ISTM the BBC coverage of the Labour conference is a little more positive than previous few years. It may be internal bias on my part and I'll compare with coverage of the other conferences to make sure.

The start of the sort of support needed to win the next GE, whenever that is?

He seems to be saying that he'd set up a new company in competition with the big players with foreign backing. That's far from being the same thing..

Not the same thing but it has the potential to offer a cheaper alternative which would force other providers to follow suit.

[EDIT]

And recognises that UK PLC should benefit from energy sales as well as France has done and others.

Yes, I suspect that’s it. Still better than our skyrocketing bills subsidising French energy costs etc the way they do under the Tory system. Needs to do the same with public transport too.

I'm wondering just how broken the Tories will have to make Britain before some of the posters on this thread accept that
- Things were really somewhat better under Blair & Brown (aside from the wars, of course)
- The only realistic way of getting the Tories out of power is to vote tactically, which will mean voting for the Labour candidate if they are most likely to win in your constituency.

I held my nose and voted for Biden and the Democrats - and thank f*ck so did a lot of other American lefties.

It depends how you feel about war and reversing the UK's post-war commitment to the progressive introduction of free education. Of course they're better than the Tories but it's pretty marginal - they even committed to the same budget restraints in the first term. It's about what might have been - ther Tories are certainly not shy about using a Parliamentary majority to further the own ends...

Of course they're better than the Tories but it's pretty marginal

We won't know unless / until they win the next election (please), but the Blair years were not marginally better than the Thatcher / Major years - they were a LOT better. The NHS was rebuilt, education was re-funded, and while the inequality gap was not closed it did not grow in the same way as it had under the Tories:
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/09/charts-day-thatcher-vs-blair/

The democrats are often disappointing and uninspiring, but the republicans are just out-and-out evil (whether through malign intent or monstrous incompetence). I suspect that the same is true of Labour and the Tories, especially with the latest incarnation of the Tories moving closer to the US republicans.

Even if we can't be sure Labour will fix things, we can be reasonably sure they'll stop smashing the place up like the Tories are now doing. Small steps, and as Brian has been saying for ages, first we have to get the Tories out. Let's not let the best be the enemy of the good. Hold your nose, if necessary, but get out and vote for whoever will oust the Tories near you. We can't fix the building until we've put the fire out.

We won't know unless / until they win the next election (please), but the Blair years were not marginally better than the Thatcher / Major years - they were a LOT better. The NHS was rebuilt, education was re-funded, and while the inequality gap was not closed it did not grow in the same way as it had under the Tories:

Brown deregulated the banks and set the conditions that led to the financial collapse paving the way for what we have now. Sure they can point to the nhs and schools (what? - 1% of GDP perhaps and a legacy of over-paying) but ultimately they were a failure.

advertisement

Back