advertisement

Ukraine V

@Seeker_UK

So, to follow this particular train of thought, if Putin utilises hypersonic missiles to strike Kyiv, the assumption will be that they are carrying nuclear warheads? (They can carry either.) And so the response from the US and NATO will be nuclear, no?

But if the payload is conventional, then NATO is guilty of initiating a nuclear first strike.

Isn't this the warning Biden has been sending to Putin?

John
With hypersonic missiles you don't have to wait hardly to find out which warhead they have.

@DimitryZ

Good to know.

I realise you may not be at liberty to answer this question, but if you can, are you suggesting Ukrainian skies will be closed comprehensively, or only in certain regions?

John
Between Ukrainian S-300 Soviet era systems and 8 NASAMS batteries, it should be operationally closed (more than tactical and less than strategic) in every military important region.

BTW, S-300 is enormously capable, loosing out to our Patriot (another baby of mine) in some areas and winning in others. And my sense is that former Warsaw Pact nations moved their missile inventory to Ukraine (in Air Defense parlance, we call them "effectors").

That seems to be translating to a lot of successful shoot downs by Ukranian AD. The technical grapevine says Ukranians are just really talented and motivated at operating their equipment. They are getting their plain-vanilla S-300s to perform really well.

Most likely scenario now is that Putin will destroy most of Ukraine his missiles can reach, and hang on to the territory he has taken.

I see the Kremlin has denied reports that it's about the close the borders and implement martial law...

Meanwhile Russians in the huge border queues are auctioning spare places in their cars on Telegram.

Typical of Russians to see a space in their car as a quick way to make a buck. Close all borders to them and let them show some Ukrainian courage by fighting to win back their own country. I've run of patience with Russian excuses for their failure to make any serious attempt to see off Putin.

Typical of Russians to see a space in their car as a quick way to make a buck. Close all borders to them and let them show some Ukrainian courage by fighting to win back their own country. I've run of patience with Russian excuses for their failure to make any serious attempt to see off Putin.
Will the border queues have had the effect of concentrating together a lot of potential Putin opponents. If I were him I'd see about scooping them all up and sending them to the camps.

Exactly, in this case silence is consent. Putin’s circle will do everything they can to keep their spoiled princes away from Ukraine. Sounds like there’s are thriving black market in dispensations (if you can afford the going rate).

Bit harsh. They're just normal peeps like any of us who just happened to be born in Putin's Russia. They're no more responsible for Putin than you or I are for the terrible leaders we seem to find ourselves with. It's just shit luck. Would I be out on the streets making a fuss if I was in their shoes? I can't honestly hand on heart say I would be.

Best of luck to anyone trying to get out I say.

Typical of Russians to see a space in their car as a quick way to make a buck. Close all borders to them and let them show some Ukrainian courage by fighting to win back their own country. I've run off patience with Russian excuses for their failure to make any serious attempt to see off Putin.
That’s fairly insulting to my wife’s family who are depressed, poor and shit scared. Their parents were already conscripted to Norilsk metal mines for not being good soviets. It’s not a gentle reprimand from a copper, it’s prison for a very long time in a not very nice prison. Would you be on the streets protesting?

That’s fairly insulting to my wife’s family who are depressed, poor and shit scared. Their parents were already conscripted to Norilsk metal mines for not being good soviets. It’s not a gentle reprimand from a copper, it’s prison for a very long time in a not very nice prison. Would you be on the streets protesting?

I understand all that, for sure. Not intended as a slight on individuals, and I realise the barbarity of the Russian state. My frustration is that any sense of collective resistance against where ordinary Russians have been led seems almost non-existent. But it's the only way I can see to end not just Putin, but turn Russia into a functioning democracy. Russians need to start showing extraordinary bravery. A big ask, I know, but given the scale of the murder and destruction Putin has already brought, to Chechnya, to Syria, and now to Ukraine, I think we have a right to demand it. Europe's future as a democracy depends on it.

Would I be on the streets? I like to think so, but I don't know. But I know for sure: if I could see an opposition forming, I would be part of it in some way. And I wouldn't be paying someone for a seat in a car out, and expect those left behind to deal with Putin for me.

^ fair enough Ian. You're a braver man than me!

Faced with likely conscription into the Russian army to fight in Ukraine I'd be looking for any way to get the f*ck out of there.

@sideshowbob

Try holding up a blank piece of paper in Moscow, or St Petersburg, or. . . and your time on the streets would be brief. (This without Putin declaring Martial Law, though this may be in the offing.)

Admittedly, those in London doing the same thing during the mournathon were not conscripted, however they were taken away to be questioned, and charged at a later date.

The insidious tendrils of fascism are everywhere it seems.

John

Try holding up a blank piece of paper in Moscow, or St Petersburg, or. . . and your time on the streets would be brief. (This without Putin declaring Martial Law, though this may be in the offing.)

Well, obviously, I know that. But people need to start doing that, and much much more. Military defeat in Ukraine alone is not going to turn Russia into a healthy democracy. The people have to do it themselves. Liberation only comes from below.

advertisement

Back