advertisement

Gaia1 or Gaia2?

I transferred my Gaia III when I moved from passive ATC SCM40 to active SCM40A. The graphs suggested I’d probably be ok but they just didn’t do the same magic. I got my wallet out and traded the III’s in against the II’s (mine were mint boxed so I got a decent trade, I usually sell separately from buying). Ah, that’s more like it! The magic is back.

So you think it made a fair difference with 40A’s? I read one review where they didn’t think it did, hence have held off.

"Gaia1 or Gaia2?"

Neither... Vibrapods...
4 x pods - £22 eBay
4 x cones - £22 eBay

Get a nice holiday with the remaining £950...:cool:

Only you can answer that. by hearing both. There is a stability point here, and I wouldn't balance my 40A's on sorbothane hemispheres which weren't on the end of threaded inserts.

Only you can answer that. by hearing both. There is a stability point here, and I wouldn't balance my 40A's on sorbothane hemispheres which weren't on the end of threaded inserts.

Vibrapods are flat, not hemispheric. Also have a hole in the centre if ye still want spikes. :cool:

What's a 40 A ?

I transferred my Gaia III when I moved from passive ATC SCM40 to active SCM40A. The graphs suggested I’d probably be ok but they just didn’t do the same magic. I got my wallet out and traded the III’s in against the II’s (mine were mint boxed so I got a decent trade, I usually sell separately from buying). Ah, that’s more like it! The magic is back.

Same for me but moving from 40A to 50ASL and with 40A I had GAIA II's. 50ASL's should be inside the weight limit of GAIA II but it just didn't work the same as it did with 40A. I sold them and got 30mm granite slabs under the speakers, they work awesome. Later on I tried GAIA I with 50ASL's and they worked quite well but the price is just too steep for the benefits so I sticked with the granite slabs.

I believe IsoAcoustics recommend that when you get to the last 25% of the weight range for the part you consider my moving up to the next heavier part, and when you are in the last 10% of the weight range they suggest you do.

Given the OP is at 52Kgs and the Gaia II is rated at 54Kgs I think that says really you need the Gaia I ... sorry :(

Thanks - that is 100% clear. From previous threads, it looks as if about 80% of people who try Gaias like them - so 20% don't. Several rate even more expensive options (e.g. Townshend) even more highly. Comparatively few (but not none) seem to have tried them and then found a much cheaper (or essentially DIY) way to do the same or better for less in their actual home.

If Vibrapods have worked so brilliantly for you, that's great, and may encourage others to give them a try.

Has anyone else tried Vibrapods? With which speakers and on what floor?

Anybody opened up one of the Townsend pods? Is there anything else in there apart from a spring?

I’ve thought about Gaias but I’m intrigued on the weight limits. If it’s recommended to move up if you’re within 10% of the recommended maximum shouldn’t they lower the recommendation and say they won’t break if you go over by 10% but you won’t get their benefit, perhaps they already say this?

One of my friends has a little hobby business. He has made his own sets of decoupling devices which he reckons are better than anything commercially available. They use a couple of different and inexpensive damping materials.

I’ve thought about Gaias but I’m intrigued on the weight limits. If it’s recommended to move up if you’re within 10% of the recommended maximum shouldn’t they lower the recommendation and say they won’t break if you go over by 10% but you won’t get their benefit, perhaps they already say this?

The bigger IIs cost more than IIIs, which may be relevant of course.

I think the argument is that a Gaia can be thought of as a spring - it simply won't work at all when fully compressed. That's the maximum weight.

I have not checked, but several people have said that being close to the maximum weight reduces the effectiveness without necessarily making it zero.

It may be that they are wary of people posting on sites like these saying that the cheaper ones were just as good for their marginally-weighted speakers and how Isoacoustics up-selling amounts to a shocking crime/ ripoff/ disgrace/ what-the-world-is-coming-to-nowawadays.

advertisement

Back