advertisement

30,000 barrier broken

Nice dodge; doesn't address my question though, Richard. Do you have a preferred limit on how many people should be allowed to stay in the UK?

The comment genuinely wasn't directed at any one person. There are a number of people on here who seem to only want to deal with one aspect of this immigration and automatically assume that if you aren't 100% in support of their view then you are 'racist'.

It isn't an issue of a limit, perhaps a wrong choice of word it is an issue of where does anybody think this will stop because it won't. Such immigration is only going to go one way and it is no use trying to pretend it isn't so something needs doing sooner rather than later and it is something that needs addressing not only Europe wide.

We are facing an Italian government who are most likely to resist their immigration problem from the North African coast. Where are the 4 million refugees in Turkey nowadays?

Whilst we are all wrapped up in our more immediate issues the wider worldwide ones are not getting sufficient attention and they will all come back and bite us.

Regards

Richard

The comment genuinely wasn't directed at any one person. There are a number of people on here who seem to only want to deal with one aspect of this immigration and automatically assume that if you aren't 100% in support of their view then you are 'racist'.

It isn't an issue of a limit, perhaps a wrong choice of word it is an issue of where does anybody think this will stop because it won't. Such immigration is only going to go one way and it is no use trying to pretend it isn't so something needs doing sooner rather than later and it is something that needs addressing not only Europe wide.

We are facing an Italian government who are most likely to resist their immigration problem from the North African coast. Where are the 4 million refugees in Turkey nowadays?

Whilst we are all wrapped up in our more immediate issues the wider worldwide ones are not getting sufficient attention and they will all come back and bite us.

Regards

Richard

You are correct, it won't stop: the idea of borders is, frankly, ridiculous, given that human beings have migrated since they arrived on the planet.
It is also very difficult to control, but being a country that people want to get to is, potentially, hugely advantageous.

What we need is some honesty from our press so that people can make properly informed decisions rather than basing them on politically driven misinformation.

The UK majors in the service industries, which are harder than most to automate, and in shit jobs, which are cheaper not to automate. You could argue that all that should change, and I'd agree, but still we have an ageing population that is going to require a lot of care, and care work isn't really open to automation or efficiency savings. A shrinking population is going to be a problem.
I work in food manufacturing, the way people talk it should have been automated years ago. However short runs and consideration of things like hygiene and allergen control mean that manumatic control still has its place. You also need machine minders. The place where I currently work has installed a marvellous case packer that replaces the guy who used to stack the pallets. It's a thing of beauty. We need to employ someone to watch it and intervene if it plays up. I'd love to see the time and motion analsis and before and after costs of that one.

One only needs to look at Sweden to see how reckless the effects of large scale immigration from non European countries is to Europe. Not a single person here has talked about the cultural impact of immigration from countries with a radically different culture...
What cultural impact did you have in mind? Are you thinking about the variety of cuisine available on high streets, or maybe the varied musical events we can now attend, or perhaps you’re thinking of the many opportunities to look at ourselves through the eyes of somebody from a different background? Or maybe just the way styles of dress make our streets a more interesting and varied place?

What cultural impact did you have in mind? Are you thinking about the variety of cuisine available on high streets, or maybe the varied musical events we can now attend, or perhaps you’re thinking of the many opportunities to look at ourselves through the eyes of somebody from a different background? Or maybe just the way styles of dress make our streets a more interesting and varied place?

In fairness, they didn't state positive or negative impact. :)

The Afghans (and before them Syrians) that my mum is responsible for are in hotels in Edinburgh, it is taking ages to re-home them most of those who were evacuated are still in hotels.

The main barrier is the majority will only live in certain cities, the main three being Manchester, Birmingham and London. My mum has acquired lots of nice family homes from a mixture of generous landlords, charities and local authorities, some are even ex MOD houses- then she has them all refurbished and is in charge of getting them here and settled into the community. Unfortunately all these houses are still empty because they don't want to come to the east Midlands, they've been turned down by dozens of families now.

She did manage to get one family down here and moved in but after the first night they claimed it was haunted and demanded to go back to Scotland. They were told it was too late and that they'd signed for and accepted the house but they were adamant and eventually went AWOL, she had the police looking for them but a week or so later they arrived back at the hotel in Scotland.

She is still in the process of acquiring and preparing more houses but if they won't come then they won't come.

Has your Mum said why their preference is for Manchester, Birmingham or London Matt?

I've been working on a Tamil oral history project (which I've found absolutely fascinating having previously known very little about Sri Lanka). Almost all the folks who arrived in the UK and claimed asylum settled immediately in Brent/Hounslow/Wembley because there was already a well established Tamil population there. It meant they had they things they needed to help start a new life - people who spoke the same language and who had experienced the same trauma, a temple and community. I totally get it. Just wondered if it's something similar for these folks.

Has your Mum said why their preference is for Manchester, Birmingham or London Matt?

I've been working on a Tamil oral history project (which I've found absolutely fascinating having previously known very little about Sri Lanka). Almost all the folks who arrived in the UK and claimed asylum settled immediately in Brent/Hounslow/Wembley because there was already a well established Tamil population there. It meant they had they things they needed to help start a new life - people who spoke the same language and who had experienced the same trauma, a temple and community. I totally get it. Just wondered if it's something similar for these folks.

Nobody seems to be able to get a solid answer Paul, one theory is they've been fed a load of rubbish either on social media or via friends/relatives back home that these are the magical places to go. The ones who went AWOL were located near a similar family already settled in the area who tried to convince them it was a good place to be, they even got the local imam involved but they just weren't having it. Mum was pregnant as well!!

Ironically a lot of the Syrians who settled locally have now all fallen out and won't have anything to do with each other at the community gatherings that are organised to help them integrate, the kids settle into school really quickly and get English sorted and friends made almost instantly, it is the parents that are more work.

Good Evening All,

It seems slightly bizarre that people who have escaped the horror's of such as Syria, having reached a relatively safe haven such as the UK, then prove problematic to accommodate.

I understand them wanting to be amongst other Syrian's but equally this doesn't lend itself to integration with the wider community.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

It seems slightly bizarre that people who have escaped the horror's of such as Syria, having reached a relatively safe haven such as the UK, then prove problematic to accommodate.

I understand them wanting to be amongst other Syrian's but equally this doesn't lend itself to integration with the wider community.

Regards

Richard

Not as bizarre as the abuse my Mum gets from the locals when they find out who the house is for that she is preparing.

Nobody seems to be able to get a solid answer Paul, one theory is they've been fed a load of rubbish either on social media or via friends/relatives back home that these are the magical places to go. The ones who went AWOL were located near a similar family already settled in the area who tried to convince them it was a good place to be, they even got the local imam involved but they just weren't having it. Mum was pregnant as well!!

Ironically a lot of the Syrians who settled locally have now all fallen out and won't have anything to do with each other at the community gatherings that are organised to help them integrate, the kids settle into school really quickly and get English sorted and friends made almost instantly, it is the parents that are more work.
I for one can't understand why they don't want to move to Bradford.

Good Morning All,

Although not quite top of the news items given the budget today but that is a new record for the numbers of people entering the UK via boats across the Channel that was set yesterday - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...sing-the-channel-so-far-this-year/ar-AA127UAh

We still need to find an answer for this in addition to the answers our esteemed Government is trying to find for a whole host of other issues.

Regards

Richard

Yeah. The arrival of fit, resourceful, intelligent young people, who can put their hands on £3k in cash, even after being forced out of their homes by war, walk thousands of kilometres and risk their lives at sea to get here. Big problem.

Maybe we could train 22,000 of them to fill posts in the NHS?
NewsUKUK Politics
More than 22,000 EU nationals have left NHS since Brexit referendum, figures show
Liberal Democrats warn that replacements will be deterred by new visa and health surcharge fees after UK leaves the EU

Or maybe the UK's largest manufacturer, BAE Systems, could chip in to build new housing for those fleeing countries rendered unsafe by use of BAE's products? They and their shareholders could probably afford it.

Good Evening All,

Regards

Richard

It's because they are human beings just like you and me and they want to choose where they live and maximise opportunities for their families.

Can you image thousands of fleeing, traumatised Brits arriving in the middle east and deciding to disperse widely in order to "integrate with the wider community" rather than sticking together? We even stick together in retirement holiday resorts.

Or maybe the UK's largest manufacturer, BAE Systems, could chip in to build new housing for those fleeing countries rendered unsafe by use of BAE's products? They and their shareholders could probably afford it.

This is, in part, what I mean about addressing the root causes of migration. Whether it be corrupt or warring governments or climate change what is done with the money that could be made available needs to change.

Of course I don't blame individuals who seek to improve their lot in life the 'problem' will be when the current trickle becomes more of a flood. It is plainly evident that our current infrastructure is creaking and there doesn't appear to be a coherent plan to deal with this. Something needs to change - I despair that there doesn't appear to a plan as it will all end up great deal uglier than strictly needs to be the case.

Regards

Richard

Our current infrastructure is only creaking because it has deliberately been starved of resources as a policy decision. Fix that and we all win.

I have no doubt that the NHS is the most expensive health system in the world, per capita. Its hardly starved of resources. Its what is actually done with those eye-watering billions that constitutes the problem.

advertisement

Back