advertisement

Is it time to move to Win 11 or stay on Win 10?

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
My instinct is to stay put as Win 10 is suiting me fine and 2 of my 3 PC/laptops cannot run Win 11 it anyway.

Is my reasoning sound?

.sjb

I've been using both.
I find Win 11 slightly irritating because things are in different places..... as anyone would with changes.
Ambivalent about the way it looks...
Having tried it, I don't see any real reason to recommend it at all, other than if you want to be 'using the latest'.

I updated to 11 today because my PC asked me to. It's very much like 10, but with different sounds, colours and icons. And as said above, they've moved things around to annoy you.

I installed the very recently released win 11 update, which further solidifies a great OS. It looks gorgeous. It runs fast and I have found nothing that ran on 10 that does not on 11.

whilst I appreciate initial jitters it’s now been out a year with two major updates. If your pc is compatible I cannot think of a reason not to update.

looking for the moved things is annoying in Win11, but trying to avoid an installation M$ is determined to get done sooner or later is even more annoying. So I installed it.

No problems so far, except that I can no longer configure the taskbar the way I want to (with the labels). I read somewhere that this would be corrected soon with an update.

I'm writing this on a 2012 Mac Mini running Win 11 Pro. I'm waiting on the 22H2 update to see if the upgrade screws anything before I can make any recommendations.

Its a lot better than Win 10 but underneath the hood its very similar. Personally, I find Windows very irritating and keep thinking why didn't M$ make it more like Linux. Its a bit itty bitty here and there. Linux does things a lot better.

Years ago I got around the Windows upgrade of 'where the hell has that moved to' by using God mode' - look it up. In God mode you have a list of everything you can do in Windows without the usual 'hide and seek' game.

Windows 10 is near end of life so one day you'll have to move to Win 11 so do it now whilst younger.............

Oh! Why a 2012 Mac Mini? Well my super duper high spec Linux mini desktop has stopped working for no other reason than the water cooled heat sink has failed, Bugger! Thats the first and last time that I use water coolng!

DV

I cannot upgrade despite my pc being super fast even now. It was a hopped up thingy all those years ago but the old processor whilst fast and overclocked fails the test. I need no more power and a new PC of equiv power would still be well over a grand to allow me to upgrade the OS.

Not yet I think

I cannot upgrade despite my pc being super fast even now. It was a hopped up thingy all those years ago but the old processor whilst fast and overclocked fails the test. I need no more power and a new PC of equiv power would still be well over a grand to allow me to upgrade the OS.

Not yet I think

That's my situation. I built this Core i7 system in 2013 and it's still pretty snappy. I'll put off changing as long as is reasonably practical.

That's my situation. I built this Core i7 system in 2013 and it's still pretty snappy. I'll put off changing as long as is reasonably practical.

Very similar to me, my processor is a 2014 4th gen Haswell i7-4790K clocked to 4.5 GHz with a water cooler

I am on Win 11 but Win 10 has a better UI, mainly because of the Start menu which is completely messed up in 11. Since launching applications is pretty fundamental to an OS I'd personally recommend staying on Win 10 for now.

Tim

I dislike Windows but feel I need to keep a desk top box running it for old stuff I can't do on a Chromebook, Android tablet or iPhone, or LINUX which I've got on the box.

I'm a cheapskate and my current box is an ex-corporate Dell Optiplex 7010 i5 3570 3.4 GHz Quad Core with 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB SATA Hard Drive and 120 GB SSD, whatever all that means. When I ran the MS test on it a while ago it said I couldn't run Win 11. Is this true, or is there a work around? I really don't want the hassle of a new box.

I use Windows 10 to extend the life of my older Mac Minis (2010 and 2012).

The BH uses one to work from home and I have another in the garage ... I will keep them both that way until W10 reaches EOL (I have a hunch that MS will extend that beyond 2025 - we'll see)

I have neither the inclination nor the need to try a W11 install before then - plus I have been getting more and more into Linux recently, and liking the experience ;)

I'm a cheapskate and my current box is an ex-corporate Dell Optiplex 7010 i5 3570 3.4 GHz Quad Core with 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB SATA Hard Drive and 120 GB SSD, whatever all that means. When I ran the MS test on it a while ago it said I couldn't run Win 11. Is this true, or is there a work around? I really don't want the hassle of a new box.

There's a workaround. Even officially documented here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

Tim

I dislike Windows but feel I need to keep a desk top box running it for old stuff I can't do on a Chromebook, Android tablet or iPhone, or LINUX which I've got on the box.

I can only talk about Win 11 Pro 21H2 release as the new 22H2 has not reached me yet. With the current Win 11 release no its not true. The machine I am typing this on is a 2012 Mac Mini running Win 11 Pro. I can also run Win 11 Pro on a 2010 Mac Mini. And for those interested I also have Win 11 Pro running on a 4GB Pi 4B! There is no support for the on-board WiFi but can use either Ethernet or a USB/WiFi bridge.

The caveat is I don't know what 22H2 will bring to the party. Maybe M$ will deliberately make booting none compliant hardware so difficult it becomes for most an impossible task? Or maybe not. I am beginning to see developments from PC manufactures of producing their own user-friendly versions of Linux O/S.

DV

I’ve been using Windows 10 since the first betas, and I must say I’ve hated every single day I’ve had to use it. Things improved a bit with SSD drives though.

I really hope W11 is better. It looks a bit less ugly (lacklustre perhaps) for starters. But it will never be as nice as Mac OS.

Is it just me?

I installed Windows 11 on a 2010, 2nd gen i7 laptop. Ran fine and got all updates.

I personally wouldn't bother with 11. I will stick with Windows 10. The start menu and the taskbar buttons are worse on 11 - two things that get a lot of use. Daft why they made these worse.

advertisement

Back