advertisement

I can see the white..

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Just churning through a few internet sites looking a TTs. We’re renovating and the house is being pulled into the modern world. I’m looking to get a TT in white. I thought a Planar 3 with Neo and a nice AT cart might be the way to go but then I saw the Project Evolution 8 on the Tracking Angle website and thought…ooooh. That might be just the ticket and Fremer raved.

Looks nice and sleek. Better go and check out how it handles.
Looks like it evolved from their x2B. Price?

I went and had a look at both Rega P3 and the Roksan Attessa. I preferred the Attessa on the basis of a 30 minute comparison at the dealer's. That turntable also comes in white.

Caveat: my cloth ears, Rega Brio amp and some inexpensive speakers (I don't recall which).

Looks nice and sleek. Better go and check out how it handles.
Looks like it evolved from their x2B. Price?

I went and had a look at both Rega P3 and the Roksan Attessa. I preferred the Attessa on the basis of a 30 minute comparison at the dealer's. That turntable also comes in white.
I’ve pretty much decided on a new TT and possibly an upgrade to my Maggies. I still love my amp and other bits so may be just the ticket.

technics-limited-1200-white-pair%5B1%5D.jpg

I would go Technics or Rega. I've seen the insides of enough ProJect turntables to know I would't put my own money into one.

I really like the Technics range and have looked at the 1200 GR but I feel it’s too DJ for me really.My FIL has a 1500c and I wa# really impressed with its build quality. The Roksan Attessa looks nice and has an interesting arm but one or two omissions put me off. I could stretch to a Rega 8 but I’d have to get black.Not a deal breaker though.

Find yourself a nice white Rega RP6. It has a very nice high gloss finish, and the edges all round have a radius, not square edge. Sounds great as well, with (older style) TTPSU.

Find yourself a nice white Rega RP6. It has a very nice high gloss finish, and the edges all round have a radius, not square edge. Sounds great as well, with (older style) TTPSU.
I wondered about the 6 but then I wondered whether it was a pimped 3 or a wannabe 8, hence the predicament. There’s certainly more design difference between the 6 and 8. I do like the looks though and it would need to be better than my Thorens set up.

Not sure that’s a bit harsh.

Yes, the cheaper decks are terrible but even the more expensive ones are very poorly put together. The worst build Rega is the P1 but it still buy it over a ProJect and all of the better Rega decks are much better made. I just don't see the point in buying a ProJect when you could buy a Rega?

And Technics, well that's a whole other thing. Neither Rega or ProJect could build those decks got that money. Any everyone who has one seems to like it. A good option surely?

Yes, the cheaper decks are terrible but even the more expensive ones are very poorly put together. The worst build Rega is the P1 but it still buy it over a ProJect and all of the better Rega decks are much better made. I just don't see the point in buying a ProJect when you could buy a Rega?

And Technics, well that's a whole other thing. Neither Rega or ProJect could build those decks got that money. Any everyone who has one seems to like it. A good option surely?

Can’t say I noticed poor build quality with the Project 10 I sold recently and Fremer talks about the excellent build quality of the X8 in his review. I never really thought of cheaper Regas as being exceptional in build quality to be honest. It isn’t the first thing I think of with Rega. I think more of their vfm than build quality, like the CA range. I think Project get a bit of an unfair press really.

I never really thought of cheaper Regas as being exceptional in build quality to be honest.

No they're not but the are better than ProJect, that's the point. Sure, more expensive ProJects are better made but they should be and they're still not brilliant. Personally, I would not buy one.

I buy and sell turntables, typically faulty or damaged ones that I fix. What I realized about ProJect turntables is that they find the cheapest possible way to do something and that's what they do. Cheapest way to make a platter and bearing, cheapest way to make an arm, cheapest way to assemble the deck. And a lot of the time the compromises are just not acceptable in my opinion. You end up with a product that is weak and will be prone to failure. I could give you a long list of examples but it would take ages! Bottom line is I wouldn't buy one. In fact I don't sell them any more as I don't want to put my name behind them.

Rega are very different. The P1 is not the best build quality but it's better than a cheap PrpJect and Rega give you a lifetime warranty. And they mean it. Even if you buy a used Rega with a fault, Rega will fix it. Absolutely fantastic. I simply can't think of a reason why you would actively choose a ProJect over a Rega. Ok, if you happen to get a great deal on a ProJect fair enough and they do sound ok. Not as good as the Rega but decent. All else being equal though, Rega all day long.

One here:

Hi,

Time for a change so up for sale is my white RP6.

Bought new by me in 2016 it has given sterling service and has been improved over the last couple of years with the addition of Rega's Neo power supply and the tungsten heavyweight. The arm currently has a 2mm spacer to accommodate an AT540EN cartridge which can of course be removed. The deck is in very good condition although the lid has a few scratches commensurate with age. I have the original packaging, instructions etc.

Pictures available on request.

Collection only from Suffolk.

Looking for £600 ono

ATB

Ray

advertisement

Back