advertisement

Bath not draining...

But does it now drain through the kitchen ceiling due to melting the pipes? :)

Thankfully we're in a ground floor flat with concrete floors. As I mentioned upthread I'm a little uneasy that I can't access under the bath and see what's going on but at least I don't have to worry about flooding a neighbour below!

We had a nightmare a couple of years back with a kitchen extension that basically meant the out pipes for the bath, sink and toilet on 1st floor are now buried behind plasterboard. Over time, actually due to cleaning out the bath trap, and the associated pipe movement, the pipe on the outside of the wall had come away from its 90 degree connector, so was draining straight down into the cavity, and then into the kitchen at various points. Of course this all happened during seriously heavy rain, so we thought it was the roof, and the roofing company said they could see where the water was getting in, so paid to have it reflashed, only for the leak to continue. Ended up cutting holes all over the place trying to figure out which pipe was leaking! It's all still buried though, so I now try to keep the bath trap as clear as possible so I don't have to unscrew it ( I do at least have access to it though!)

The OP has a chronic problem with his drains. All above him can affect his system? They must share some outlets and he is nearer to the main drain?
Nothing to add to this particular thread but my house doesn’t share anything with anyone but, despite being quite careful about what goes down the plug hole, once a year on average I have to go up to the shoulder to clear an outside drain with an ‘s’bend before it tips into a main drain. I’m amazed at the amount of solid fats that come out. It’s a fatburg, just a bit smaller than that famous one in London.

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted.

I was at a 20m new build house yesterday and the drains stank, … not a problem the builder, or the architect, or the plumber wanted to take responsibility for! They were all passing the buck.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A couple of months ago I donned a pair of overalls & rubber gloves & crawled under the house to clean out the trap of my blocked shower drain. I'd rather not use caustic solutions. Heavens! The thick rope of hair I pulled from the pipe was almost two metres long. I need to do the handbasin's drain next which is in an even worse location.

I was at a 20m new build house yesterday and the drains stank, … not a problem the builder, or the architect, or the plumber wanted to take responsibility for! They were all passing the buck.
Sounds like someone has passed more than a buck...

as a follow up, I would fill the bath with cold water, then pull the plug and let that drain.

Always good fun. I've had the same in factories with lines that don't work. I just get all the suppliers in the same room and beat them all up every week until they sort it out. They always get bored before I do. Oh, and I'm the *nice* guy. :)

CCTV drain surveys prior to acceptance to the rescue; I've seen very large holes cut through GF slabs to fix [problems left by the groundworker] and all reinstated [inc. spendy, epoxy- dowelled reinstatement slab detailing .. oh, and finishes..] even rather -shortly before handover.

advertisement

Back