advertisement

Great news

As I’m a feeble-bodied and feebler-minded OAP I don’t get much and earn very little of that. But I’m still happy that the daft duty changes designed to force us all to switch from red wine to Prosecco have been at least postponed. Good news, everyone!

I think of it as an incentive to pull my socks up, get on my bike, stop asking for money for nothing. Then I remember that I am a pensioner

Dear Mr. Kwarteng
please may I have a pay rise, £147K should do it
Ta,
Billo
p s you are by far my favourite Chancellor this year

I went from red to Limbrini, two bottles-one to drink on the way home, one for when I get there. What's the prognosis?
I think you’ve got your limbs mixed up with your lambs :)
F84-D10-B7-06-FC-44-D4-8-F20-0-E01669-C9972.jpg

Linked to this, a very sharp piece by George Monbiot including a section on how what we might call "trickle down ideology" works.

Has Liz Truss handed power over to the extreme neoliberal thinktanks? | George Monbiot | The Guardian

In short, Tory friendly press barons will do all they can to ensure those not benefiting from the tax cuts will come to see them as a good thing - tax cuts from which, of course, the press barons and their shareholders will definitely benefit. And the BBC will, of course, have to remain neutral, or else!

So they've reversed the social care NI increase that benefitted anyone in need, and those most likely to need the care, earning under 12k, see nothing.

Seems fair.
Yeah, after all, why do you choose to be poor when you can be as rich as you like? Life choices.

Linked to this, a very sharp piece by George Monbiot including a section on how what we might call "trickle down ideology" works.

Has Liz Truss handed power over to the extreme neoliberal thinktanks? | George Monbiot | The Guardian

In short, Tory friendly press barons will do all they can to ensure those not benefiting from the tax cuts will come to see them as a good thing - tax cuts from which, of course, the press barons and their shareholders will definitely benefit. And the BBC will, of course, have to remain neutral, or else!
The scary bit in that article is how Truss and Kwarteng have been groomed from early in their political careers by those behind the IEA. I checked out the IEA website, and an image of Charles Moore appeared on the front page. That’s all I needed to know

The scary bit in that article is how Truss and Kwarteng have been groomed from early in their political careers by those behind the IEA. I checked out the IEA website, and an image of Charles Moore appeared on the front page. That’s all I needed to know
Once you start looking, the IEA is linked to every bad political turn in the last decade. My MP is co-chair of the Free Market Forum, an IEA offshoot. Its advisory council includes Matthew Elliot (former head of the Taxpayers Alliance, and Vote Leave, and head of 2011's NoToAV campaign), and Lord Borwick (whose son worked for Cambridge Analytica and was Chief Technology Officer of Vote Leave).

A very small group of highly ideological people has effectively taken over the Conservatives, and we don't know who has funded them. So much for democracy.

It’s the Tories Unchained. They are past their sell by date by the usual metrics so why not go for the nuclear option. In political terms it’s rational but hasn’t enough time to have an effect. In other words a disaster.

Once you start looking, the IEA is linked to every bad political turn in the last decade. My MP is co-chair of the Free Market Forum, an IEA offshoot. Its advisory council includes Matthew Elliot (former head of the Taxpayers Alliance, and Vote Leave, and head of 2011's NoToAV campaign), and Lord Borwick (whose son worked for Cambridge Analytica and was Chief Technology Officer of Vote Leave).

A very small group of highly ideological people has effectively taken over the Conservatives, and we don't know who has funded them. So much for democracy.
The last four decades. Thatcher was thick as thieves with the IEA goons.

It’s the Tories Unchained. They are past their sell by date by the usual metrics so why not go for the nuclear option. In political terms it’s rational but hasn’t enough time to have an effect. In other words a disaster.

It's Britannia Unhinged. This from yesterday was spot on https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/britannia-unchained-liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng/

"The five authors of Britannia Unchained obviously think they are part of the new killer elite. But they believe this despite being terrible at maths, economically illiterate, ignorant of science and engineering and completely unaware of how to research a book or even write well. Like so many people who have “made it”, they believe everything they have achieved has been down to their special talents and hard work. Others can join them if they want, the rest must just work harder for less. Such people – smug, selfish, self-satisfied, lacking in empathy, ignorant of facts and believing in their own fantasy economics – prop up golf club bars the length and breadth of the country. Unfortunately, now they are also now running the country."

Is this the wonderful Conservative Government that denied the triple lock to all pensioners, that puts a lot into poverty now we have inflation rising so rapidly.

Will the CG do the same next year?

Gary

advertisement

Back