advertisement

Herculese mose fuse

1964meb

pfm Member
Hi People,

I was checking my kettle leads and was surprised to find a 13Amp fuse in my lp12 herc mose lead.

Surely that's too big?

Would someone please let let me know the correct fuse.

Mike

If the cable is capable of carrying 13 amps, then no, it's not too big*. In the UK the fuse in the plug is to protect the lead, not the equipment. Which should therefore have its own fuse.
* Of course, we all put a smaller fuse in, but that is not in the regs.

I am not sure, but I think I recall that when I bought my Mose Hercules II it came without a mains cable, Edmund thinking whatever he provided folk would replace anyway, and if you were happy with a kettle lead then all good. In which case it may well be the same for you. The fuse in the mains lead is to ensure the mains cable is protected. The Mose Hercules II has a 1A fuse inside the case to protect itself. It is fine.

EDIT: This is wrong, as Beobloke points out the IEC connector is only 10A rated, a less than 10A fuse, 1A or more would be suitable.

Last edited:
If the cable is capable of carrying 13 amps, then no, it's not too big*. In the UK the fuse in the plug is to protect the lead, not the equipment. Which should therefore have its own fuse.

Whether the cable can carry 13A is irrelevant as the IEC connector on the end that plugs into the unit is only rated to 10A, so the fuse should not be larger than this.

Regardless, the unit will only be rated at a few hundred watts at most, so a 3A fuse would be most appropriate.

Oh good point, yes less than 10A to protect the connector, though oddly it seems except in USA where they are 15A rated (!!!), and more than the 1A in the Mose Hercules II, so 3A is perfect.

Sure Linn supply a £50 fuse
I’m sure they don’t, they have always advised customers against foo mains accessories saying that what they supply in the box is all you need. For what it’s worth, Linn are extremely reasonable for spares too, I recently ordered some replacement control panel membranes for £1.90 each, new spring and grommets for an LP12 £15. They supply excellent interconnects free in the box too.

Whether the cable can carry 13A is irrelevant as the IEC connector on the end that plugs into the unit is only rated to 10A, so the fuse should not be larger than this.

Regardless, the unit will only be rated at a few hundred watts at most, so a 3A fuse would be most appropriate.

That's 10 amps continuous rating, a 13 amp fuse is fine. Swap it for a lower rating if you want. Most fridges are supplied with 13a fuses and will run happily on a 5 amp.

That's 10 amps continuous rating, a 13 amp fuse is fine. Swap it for a lower rating if you want. Most fridges are supplied with 13a fuses and will run happily on a 5 amp.

Yes, true but the fridges wont be protected by the 13A fuse then??? Isn't the whole idea of a fuse to protect an electrical item from an unexpected surge?

I thought fuses were to protect equipment from unexpected surges ???

Yes, true but the fridges wont be protected by the 13A fuse then??? Isn't the whole idea of a fuse to protect an electrical item from an unexpected surge?

No not the fuse in the plug, that's to protect the flex. If the item requires fused protection it's within the item.
In the same way the the mcb's within your consumer unit are there to protect the circuit wiring from overload, continuous or via a short circuit.

I thought fuses were to protect equipment from unexpected surges ???
The fuse is designed to blow AFTER the piece of equipment has failed to make it safe and prevent fire. You generally need the device to fall to blow the fuse, they do not protect the device.
Plug fuses protect cables
Equipment fuses stop things becoming electrical fires.

If you want to protect equipment from voltage surges etc, that is part of your power supply design.

The fuse is designed to blow AFTER the piece of equipment has failed to make it safe and prevent fire. You generally need the device to fall to blow the fuse, they do not protect the device.
Plug fuses protect cables
Equipment fuses stop things becoming electrical fires.

If you want to protect equipment from voltage surges etc, that is part of your power supply design.

Ok Many thanks

Every day is a learning day

:)

Uh??? Fuses in the device are there to protect the device!

advertisement

Back