advertisement

Bath not draining...

Yep. I always put a few layers of duct tape over the overflow otherwise it just sprays water everywhere.
I did this on the kitchen sink at our office as it was slow to drain (I suspect people emptying dregs from bowls of this, that or the other into the sink rather than into the bin first). I was successful in preventing water coming out of the overflow, unfortunately all it did was find its away out somewhere in the cupboard under the sink - a fact I only realised when a pool of water appeared from under the base of the unit next to the dishwasher... :(

First port of call for me is caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Wear gloves and preferably goggles. Spoon the crystals slowly into a reasonable amount of water - never the other way round - and keep pausing to see how hot it gets as the caustic soda dissolves - don't go too far or it will boil/spit dangerously. Pour that in and it will address greasy blockages - often best overnight.

I have also used warm but not hot (less than 50 degrees C) sulphamic acid solution (washing machine de-scaler crystals or central hearing de-scaler) successfully to dissolve limescale build-up in drains. It's safer than sulphuric acid but not as strong so again it may need time.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Exactly why i never put traps in inaccessible floors; unfortunately the bathroom was redone by a proper plumber last time so i'll be back to cutting a hole in the kitchen ceiling if the traps ever trap anything.

You need something called One-Shot - it's a serious liquid and usually only available to the trade though some DIY shops will sell it you, they do where I am, though I'm a beardy middle aged bloke https://www.selcobw.com/one-shot-drain-cleaner-1ltr
I was just about to post about one shot. It is THE thing to use if you can actually buy it any more - my local plumbers merchant used to sell it to anyone but no longer can. I have a small stock of it that I'll keep for my use. If you can get it please follow the instructions as its not a nice product to mess with...
https://www.fulcare.co.uk/product/one-shot-drain-cleaner-1ltr/

Sit over plughole and let rip........ arse pump plunger

That suggestion is just a lot of hot air and could backfire and cause more blockage.:D

I've been impressed by Mr Muscle unblocker; it's cheap (£4?) and did the biz on my tenant's bath, where accumulated hair etc. was stopping water draining. Buy it anywhere and it's got to be worth a shot. It's probably constituted from chemicals mentioned above, but does get high positive feedback.

I've been impressed by Mr Muscle unblocker; it's cheap (£4?) and did the biz on my tenant's bath, where accumulated hair etc. was stopping water draining. Buy it anywhere and it's got to be worth a shot. It's probably constituted from chemicals mentioned above, but does get high positive feedback.
They make several things sold for that purpose. There's a sodium hydroxide powder (pretty pure) as well as various solutions, some of which also contain sodium hypochlorite (bleach).

It looks like our bath waste pipe is gunked up - takes forever for water to drain.

I've tried the plunger. Tried soda crystals and a kettle of boiling water. No joy.

I have a plumbers snake but no access to the bottom of the bath (previously owners tiled over the side) so decided against unscrewing the drain cover...

Outside drain seems OK and sink is draining OK.

Any suggestions?

not too long ago i had this problem . tried the usual drain cleaning etc. I had to dismantle the whole drainage sytem and clean out . it was full of tile grout whichg the tiler had washed down the drain. that did the trick . flippin hassle though

not too long ago i had this problem . tried the usual drain cleaning etc. I had to dismantle the whole drainage sytem and clean out . it was full of tile grout whichg the tiler had washed down the drain. that did the trick . flippin hassle though

Yep, feels like this is worse, a whole house rebuild me thinks :p @paulfromcamden.

(Being serious for a moment, hope you get it cleared Paul).

advertisement

Back