advertisement

Quiet Record Cleaning Machine

Hi.
I have a Moth record cleaning machine which I hardly ever use due to the noise and the heat it generates in my small, 3M*2M, office where it and my lp collection are stored.
So I was wondering if anyone has used one of the following and how you get on with it and its noise and heat levels.

Knosti Disco Antistat Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine
Clearaudio Smart Matrix Silent
HumminGuru Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine

Thank you

The Humminguru isnt silent but its not excessively noisy. I have mine in the laundry room and it makes less noise than the drier.

Once started its automatic, so you can just leave it to get on with the job, and the results are excellent.

??????????????????????????

The vacuum/drying run, running for a few minutes at a time???????????????

Unless someone is buying LOTS of old/ second-hand records?

I have never cleaned a new record and never will, and will never believe that it is other than a complete and utter, total waste of time. (I buy 5-10 new records per month....)

I clean brand new records and the results are very worthwhile.

Sorry - here -there is no benefit.

Based on knowledge of the pressing process, there could never be any.

How many new records have you listened to, critically, before and after "cleaning"?

How many new records have you listened to, critically, before and after "cleaning"?

I assume you don’t actually buy any new records! Sadly many arrive in paper or card inners, some even have fingermarks from whoever placed them in the sleeve, very often a layer of dirt is visible deep in the groove (mostly from the sleeve attracted by static). I clean absolutely everything I buy before the first play so I get this crap out before the stylus has any opportunity to weld it in place.

Record pressing plants are not anything like the surgically clean environment one would expect. They are surprisingly filthy places like so many large factories. Have a look for videos on YouTube, it is quite an eye-opener how unclean even the areas used for plating, mounting stampers etc are.

PS FWIW I’ve also A B’d clean looking records many times, including to others. Even good looking ones sound better after a proper wet vacuum clean.

Would with all due respect disagree.
Recently bought a brand new pressing of Rumours 45rpm.
There was a surprising and fairly loud click during the intro to The Chain and several other clicks throughout the rest of the disc. Slightly annoyed, I was all ready to pack it up for return when I decided to have a gander through my 30x cheapo ebay illuminated loupe. Immediately I spotted a fairly large piece of debris stuck in the groove. Nothing ventured etc I was able to pluck it out with a toothpick. What amazed me though was the amount of smaller pieces of detritus buried in the groove. This despite it being a premium pressing packaged in poly sleeves. A quick spin through the Project vac with The Right One fluid and upon examination the discs were spotless and playing silently. In future everything, both new and used gets a clean and a fresh Nagaoka sleeve.
As always ymmv

I assume you don’t actually buy any new records!

I very seldom buy anything else.

Sadly many arrive in paper or card inners, some even have fingermarks from whoever placed them in the sleeve, very often a layer of dirt is visible deep in the groove (mostly from the sleeve attracted by static)

Never noticed but if they affect anything, I would doubt it and if they did it would last - 1-2-3 plays.

Record pressing plants are not anything like the surgically clean environment one would expect.

I have spent quite a few years working in genuinely "clean" (physical and chemical, as in cleanroom) plastic manufacture and LP pressing isn't even remotely close.

If anything in the environment of a record press caused a problem with the pressing, I would bet my LIFE that cleaning the final record could NOT resurrect it.

I use a HumminGuru and I'd describe the initial cleaning process as just about acceptable as background noise. The water warms up a bit but not so you'd notice if you weren't looking.
The drying fan is too noisy though when listening to music in my opinion, like a quiet hair drier. Going off topic, I don't use the drier, but use a Vinyl Vac instead, as I believe it's more effective at getting the gunk out of the grooves. Far less convenient obviously.

Decades used a Loricraft PRC almost silent & 2nd clean on a Degritter
Only buy new records & these should be cleaned before playing

I used to have a Moth
I now have a Clearaudio

The Moth would clear the flat of everyone but me, the Clearaudio does not make anywhere near as much noise even if i would not venture to call it silent. The Moth definitely required ear protection for more than one or two records per session.

I clean mine in the sink using a tap. It's almost silent and very inexpensive. In fact, on the basis that I need it to keep the house running, I could regard it as free.

I bought a Clearaudio Smart Matrix Pro a few years ago for £700 and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. Not excessively loud so I imagine the Silent is very good. Not cheap though.

I have a project vc-e (I think, it was the baby of the 2 they do.) Well, I certainly wouldn’t run the vac too late in the evening, man it’s loud but, it does a very good job at cleaning records. Always clean new/used records before playing. The record is without doubt, more shiny after cleaning, little to no pops and clicks.

Let’s put it this way, it can’t hurt to clean new records, so why not? I get some sort of satisfaction knowing that I’m giving to record every chance to sound its best, so long may I continue.

Dan.

I have a Loricraft machine. My biggest issue with new vinyl is static. The Loricraft eliminates it and obviously gets the vinyl clean and it stays that way

I used to have a Moth
I now have a Clearaudio

The Moth would clear the flat of everyone but me, the Clearaudio does not make anywhere near as much noise even if i would not venture to call it silent. The Moth definitely required ear protection for more than one or two records per session.
I have a moth RMC, it does a good job, but boy is it loud, I too use ear protection when using it and so do not use for too long periods. Been saving my time enjoying the summer, will have to have a big push on my LPs over the winter period.

My cleaning machine is completely silent so I listen to music while I use it in the music room:
https://www.supasound.com/pva.mp4

The price of consumables is going up, but 5 litres, which will clean hundreds of records, if not thousands, is still only £23 at Jewson's:
https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/unibond-...VWuvtCh05BAkVEAQYAiABEgIFIvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you don't already have one it's well worth investing in a Zerostat because the PVA cleans so thoroughly that it takes loose electrons with it:
https://www.kronosav.com/products/m...=cce7b36dcf0a21e94131db98d6898aa8&fo_s=gsuruk

I agree that it is usually pointless to clean new records, but I do it anyway just in case.

advertisement

Back