advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

I was just watching Coffey’s performance in the Commons, and I noticed that Robert Jenrick was in the background.. Robert Jenrick? The guy that fumbled the Grenfell ball and had dodgy dealings with Richard Desmond? The guy that said we should build an embassy in Jerusalem and overspent his election allowance?
Oh yes, he’s now Dept of Health. So that’s OK.
These people are despicable

The Tories announce removal of the National Insurance rise which was specifically applied by Johnson to resolving funding problems in Health and Social care. They simultaneously leak proposals to make private health insurance premiums tax free. They are cutting £30bn in taxes used to fund public services.

Their favourite slogan- “our precious NHS”. Do the math.

Here it comes….

When Liz Truss said she’s happy to be unpopular to do what she thinks is right, she wasn’t just talking about ending cap on bankers’ bonuses. This now from Treasury: “Around 120,000 more benefit claimants will be asked to take active steps to seek more and better paid work, or face having their benefits reduced”. Coming in the mini budget on Friday.

Robert Peston (Twitter).

It is the poor, sick and borderline homeless who will pay for Tory grift and tax avoidance. It always is. Cruelty is the product. Get those in the middle to mistrust and despise those below whilst those at the top rob the nation blind.

Still, we got rid of Boris, eh? ;)

We were told to be careful what we wished for. o_O

The Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Skills, Further and Higher Education :rolleyes:

2822.jpg

Every time I see those pics, I just keep seeing an outsized offensive canary- one unfortunately who’s a member of Britain’s government and if you need to ask how low Britain has sunk, it’s explained in that image ( or possibly one of Michael Fabricant MP riding a bicycle naked but for a nylon wig).

Still, we got rid of Boris, eh? ;)

We were told to be careful what we wished for. o_O
For what it's worth, I was well aware that Johnson's successor would probably be even worse. By that, I mean that I expected them to be both more of an ideologue, and more competent to enact whatever lunatic right-wing policies they believed in.

Sunak would have been just as bad as Truss - it would have been Austerity 2, Electric Boogaloo, with that guy. Frankly, there were no good options.

It's part of the danger of treating politics as a pantomime: booing the villains and cheering on the "heroes". There's no substitute for an objective assessment of what any given politician is likely to do, if they gain power.

For what it's worth, I was well aware that Johnson's successor would probably be even worse. By that, I mean that I expected them to be both more of an ideologue, and more competent to enact whatever lunatic right-wing policies they believed in.

Sunak would have been just as bad as Truss - it would have been Austerity 2, Electric Boogaloo, with that guy. Frankly, there were no good options.

It's part of the danger of treating politics as a pantomime: booing the villains and cheering on the "heroes". There's no substitute for an objective assessment of what any given politician is likely to do, if they gain power.
Yes, especially to your last sentence. We seem to put more store into appearance than substance. If we were to focus more on what we want our politicians to do, and vote for those specific objectives, we would get better politicians.

Can someone please explain Jacob Rees Mogg to me. I honestly do not understand how a multi-millionaire hedge fund manager can become “Secretary Of State For Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy” without every conflict of interest alarm in the world going off. How the hell is this possible? What is ‘insider trading’ if it is not this?!

He likely makes multiples of his annual MPs salary a day through his financial chicanery, so he sure as hell isn’t doing this role for conventional employment.

Can someone please explain Jacob Rees Mogg to me. I honestly do not understand how a multi-millionaire hedge fund manager can become “Secretary Of State For Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy” without every conflict of interest alarm in the world going off. How the hell is this possible? What is ‘insider trading’ if it is not this?!

He likely makes multiples of his annual MPs salary a day through his financial chicanery, so he sure as hell isn’t doing this role for conventional employment.
The Tory ideology is to reduce wage costs as far as possible to benefit Business. Grinding workers into the ground is part of his brief.

The Tory ideology is to reduce wage costs as far as possible to benefit Business. Grinding workers into the ground is part of his brief.

Very true, that is just Tories being Tories. It is their ideology. The thing I don’t understand is how a multi-millionaire hedge-fund operator can get into a position to actually define national business policy when his day job is betting on/against businesses and shifting vast amounts of money around offshore locations and tax loopholes. The government policy he defines, or at least has advanced knowledge of, will directly impact the markets his own private business manipulates. How is this even remotely legal? It has to be at best a conflict of interest, and at worse obvious corruption.

PS Kwateng is getting laughed at, and I’m not sure all of it is coming from the opposition benches. His “budget” is an absolute disaster. The UK is being flushed straight down the shitter exactly as us “Project Fear” lot predicted.

Kwarteng just now,

“If we really want to level up, we need to unleash the private sector”

We’ve had half a century of unleashing the private sector, why hasn’t it worked so far?

As ever, neoliberalism has failed, and failed in it’s own terms, yet the only solution on offer is the do neoliberalism even harder.

Very true, that is just Tories being Tories. It is their ideology. The thing I don’t understand is how a multi-millionaire hedge-fund operator can get into a position to actually define national business policy when his day job is betting on/against businesses and shifting vast amounts of money around offshore locations and tax loopholes. The government policy he defines, or at least has advanced knowledge of, will directly impact the markets his own private business manipulates. How is this even remotely legal? It has to be at best a conflict of interest, and at worse obvious corruption.

PS Kwateng is getting laughed at, and I’m not sure all of it is coming from the opposition benches. His “budget” is an absolute disaster. The UK is being flushed straight down the shitter exactly as us “Project Fear” lot predicted.
The Tory economic ideology is to allow the rich to keep more of their money, which will obviously go into savings, much of it offshore. As such it is the Tory ideology to shift money away from the public economy and into private savings.

We need a different ideology.

You think the Daily Mail / Sun would mention it?... only in some alternate Universe where they aren't paid to peddle what suits their non-dom owners.

Some back-bench Tory has just ripped Kwateng a new one over blocking the OBR report! Apparently the report exists, it was ready in plenty of time, and Truss’s government have simply buried it as it destroys their economic narrative. As suggested above this is certainly not a unified party. Good! \o/

God help us. Rachael Reeves majoring on “who pays?”

We need an alternative to this narrative of household economics.

Well I just tuned in part way through Reeves'
speech and could not fault any of her analysis of Tory ideology and policy or the way in which they are clearly designed to benefit the rich and perpetuate or extend inequality.

Some back-bench Tory has just ripped Kwateng a new one over blocking the OBR report! Apparently the report exists, it was ready in plenty of time, and Truss’s government have simply buried it as it destroys their economic narrative. As suggested above this is certainly not a unified party. Good! \o/
I wouldn't get too dewy-eyed about the OBR. It was created by George Osborne and its function, if not its stated aim, was to legitimise austerity. It's a roadblock on the path to progressive change, and I would not be sorry to see it go.

None of which means I support this mini-budget. A 5% tax rate cut for the very highest earners and a 1% cut for the lowest is manifestly regressive. That's before we even get into the debate about whether tax cuts will have the desired effect.

Well I just tuned in part way through Reeves'
speech and could not fault any of her analysis of Tory ideology and policy or the way in which they are clearly designed to benefit the rich and perpetuate or extend inequality.
Yes, agree that she identified the benefits to the rich, though what Labour would do differently is unclear. For one thing Rachael Reeves herself has ruled out increases to Corp Tax and on a wider ideological point, which was what I was pointing at in my post, the adoption of the household model of the economy is a model that constrains public spending and means that, having condemned the Tories borrowing plans, raising taxes is the only option Labour has left itself to fund increased public spending.

Another constraint on raising public spending for Labour, is that it has also committed itself to reducing the deficit and the debt.

Five words:

Crazy Hideous Age Of Stupid. That's how.

advertisement

Back