advertisement

Naim CD5 - 2003 - Player acting up

toecutter

pfm Member
My Naim CD5 cd-player from 2003 start acting strange, what could it be?

I insert the cd put the clamp on, then close the tray.
Checking the display how many tunes the cd has, but nothing happens I only see the two horisontal marks.
I try to play the cd and ERR show on display.
I open pull out the tray and refit clamp then close the tray, sometimes cd reacts and the lasermechanism can read the cd and display shows how many tunes there are on the cd.
I have to do this several times for the cd to activate?
The cd doesn't spin anymore when I pull out the tray.

Can I have a bad lasermechanism or a bad clamp?
I haven't used my player very often.

Do Naim still sell replacement laser mechanism for their first generation Classic series which was released in early 2000?

Could it be VAM1205 or something else?

I'm pretty sure it is a VAM1205. And also fairly sure that even though Naim now have replacement mechanisms in for some of their players again (VAM1250 based players, for which the VAM1202 is an acceptable replacement IIRC), the VAM1205 players aren't in that list.

I'm pretty sure it is a VAM1205. And also fairly sure that even though Naim now have replacement mechanisms in for some of their players again (VAM1250 based players, for which the VAM1202 is an acceptable replacement IIRC), the VAM1205 players aren't in that list.

so i'm screwed getting a new replacement mechanism from naim?
then it ain't worth re-capping either.

when i get the Err message in the display when i hit play button nothing happens then i have to hit PLAY button two or three times after another then the cd plays.
something is definately wrong here!?

sometimes laser mech reads the disc showing number of tunes on display on other discs there is nothing shown on display, i have to refit clamp and it gets better sometimes.
clearly something wrong here?

If the rubber loops are squashed try to get them back to round by gently pinching them.
If the rubber loops are discoloured where they touch the disc - that could signal wear, as would many more obvious
signs like slight tears in the rubber.

Don't just plonk the puck straight down on the disc - place it at an angle and lower gently.
Similarly, when removing the puck - never pull straigt up - angle it first then remove gently.

If not playing discs for a while ensure the puck is not left in the machine engaging a disc.
Best to leave the puck upside down someplace it won't collect dust.

Clean the puck with some isopropyl alcohol to get rid on any dust etc.

Ultimately you have a 20 year old machine and the puck may simply need replacing.

I believe Tom Tom Audio sell replacements if you can't get Naim to send you one.

@SamS

Thanks for the free advice.

I checked the link you shared.

Some claim that the newer puck from CD5i without rubber grommets is stronger than my CD5 puck.
Could I use a newer version puck without damaging laser mechanism?

Always, before I remove puck from the disc I angle the clamp then remove sideways.
However, when placing puck onto the magnet when I play CD's I guess I have done wrong everytime carefully putting clamp straight down onto the magnet.
Could this have damaged the puck?

When player is not in use I have always kept the clamp on top of the magnet, maybe this is a big NO NO, don't do that?

I checked the condition on the three grommets.
Grommets look oval roundish, but there is a hairline groove mark on each grommet which looks like somekind of wear in the rubber?
Maybe this is where the three grommets sits around the magnet making the groove marks??
There is also a slight discoloration where the groove mark is seen on all three grommets.

I also randomly get the two dashes of doom when my player didn't read the disc showing how many songs there is on the disc.

It is almost certainly not the puck. If it was you would hear the disc slipping when it tries to read it. However, do clean the disc platter of dust and make sure it can turn freely.

I'm afraid it'll be the laser assembly. VAM1205 are very rare, but the laser from a CDM12.4 will fit. I stopped trying to repair these years ago because the replacement lasers were of such low quality that I had to buy 4 to get 1 reliable one. You may get lucky.
There is a self-test feature. Press play while turning the player on and it'll count the number of read errors, assuming it can read the disc that is.

Glad to help but sorry I can't advise one way or the other re: stronger magnet. Although someone on that thread I believe claimed it cured his issues.
My only experience with Naim CD players are the original CDS and CDS II.
I went through quite a few pucks.

You say the grommets are oval/round. I believe they should be just round.
If you press down on the grommets do they spring back into original shape quickly.
If not then likely quite worn.

It is almost certainly not the puck. If it was you would hear the disc slipping when it tries to read it. However, do clean the disc platter of dust and make sure it can turn freely.

I'm afraid it'll be the laser assembly. VAM1205 are very rare, but the laser from a CDM12.4 will fit. I stopped trying to repair these years ago because the replacement lasers were of such low quality that I had to buy 4 to get 1 reliable one. You may get lucky.
There is a self-test feature. Press play while turning the player on and it'll count the number of read errors, assuming it can read the disc that is.

Can I give it a blow on the disc platter?
I know It sounds weird! :oops:

Can I gently without putting any preesure on my finger try to rotate the platter with my finger counter clockwise?

Yes you can gently rotate the platter.
Put a disc on and rotate the puck. The disc should rotate freely without warp.

Glad to help but sorry I can't advise one way or the other re: stronger magnet. Although someone on that thread I believe claimed it cured his issues.
My only experience with Naim CD players are the original CDS and CDS II.
I went through quite a few pucks.

You say the grommets are oval/round. I believe they should be just round.
If you press down on the grommets do they spring back into original shape quickly.
If not then likely quite worn.

I checked the grommets and they show a bit of ovalness as this is the original puck from 2003.
Puck has been sitting on the magnet whether player was in use or not in use this is now 19 years old.

Grommets do bounce back at once when squeezed.

so i'm screwed getting a new replacement mechanism from naim?

Naim never sell spare mechs as far as I know, they offer a complete service or refer to their authorised service centres.
I doubt they can service your player but you might ask them yourself.

Lots of threads around re. lack of spares for Naim CD players becoming doorstops.
Naim has been vague on the issue and I believe they have tried (a bit late though) to source rare spares to service their higher end players.
Officially they only support CD5i/Italic i/Si entrylevel series along with CD555. CD5Si is the only current player in their range.

I sold my 2-box Naim player long ago seeing the issue creeping up, now with Rega CD players which is fully supported. Highly recommended.

Naim never sell spare mechs as far as I know, they offer a complete service or refer to their authorised service centres.
I doubt they can service your player but you might ask them yourself.

Lots of threads around re. lack of spares for Naim CD players becoming doorstops.
Naim has been vague on the issue and I believe they have tried (a bit late though) to source rare spares to service their higher end players.
Officially they only support CD5i/Italic i/Si entrylevel series along with CD555. CD5Si is the only current player in their range.

I sold my 2-box Naim player long ago seeing the issue creeping up, now with Rega CD players which is fully supported. Highly recommended.

If you're in Sweden InStereo is the importer of Naim.
Could they service players?
Recaps and swapping to replacement mechanism if still available?

Kind of annoyed if my player now has a fault and I can't get it fixed?
Wasn't cheap to buy in 2003, must be even more expensive after Brexit?

must be even more expensive after Brexit?

The original CD5 was followed by CD5X and later CD5XS.
The latter was discontinued in 2018.
You can read up on their history site.

I'm not in Sweden and have zero knowledge to Naim dealer climate there.
I have heard the German distributor might help with some service level, but no personal experience with them.
I am considering quoting them my old UQ1 sent over for a fresh display fit.

The original CD5 was followed by CD5X and later CD5XS.
The latter was discontinued in 2018.
You can read up on their history site.

I'm not in Sweden and have zero knowledge to Naim dealer climate there.
I have heard the German distributor might help with some service level, but no personal experience with them.
I am considering quoting them my old UQ1 sent over for a fresh display fit.

Ok, thanks for the info

Spoke with repair-tech at Naim.

I asked about the clamp, tech guy said he didn't think it was the clamp causing issues it's the laser-mech.
I was recommended to send my player to them for a check up.

I was told that the black plastic disc which holds the magnetic hub is prone to crack.
Tech guy told me to check and I used a flashlight around this and no visible cracks seen on top on black plastic disc.

I asked about a tune up recap, I was advised against this as it's to expensive for such an old player.

I suspect that the labour cost of recapping it at Naim with a laser change would exceed the cost of the player.

advertisement

Back