advertisement

Roon Update

Juancho

pfm Member
Can anyone tell me how to update my Room software? I cannot find the right tab anywhere my Mac Mini core.

The App on my phone said 'click here to update' but clearly nothing happened!
Thanks

The Roon forum is full of these issues right now after tha launch of 2.0 plus ARC. It’s your best bet, as it depends on your equipment spec. Some older and now less-supported systems need a special regression to 1.8 ‘Legacy’

Try looking in "Settings" then "About" there appears to be a tool icon next to the version info.
Being extremely courageous, I'm leaving well alone so I've not clicked on that icon.

Mine invited me to update when i switched the iMac on yesterday morning (the iMac is my main control device, the Core is on a NAS)/

Thanks for the tips. My Roon core is on a year old Mac Mini M1 running latest software. The phone App is just going round in circles-telling me I'm running the latest version then on next tab saying I need to update.....

Tonight I updated core running on a QNAP NAS. I did have to force an update from the Roon console on the NAS as the Roon app got itself in an endless loop of saying the core needed an update and then not poking the NAS to do the update.

All the clients, my phone and laptops, all updated themselves fine.

Thanks for the tips. My Roon core is on a year old Mac Mini M1 running latest software. The phone App is just going round in circles-telling me I'm running the latest version then on next tab saying I need to update.....

This happened to me. Its when you have updated your device first, the Core needs to be updated first, I have no idea how I fixed it, but I dids, so it is possible!

The Roon forum is full of these issues right now after tha launch of 2.0 plus ARC. It’s your best bet, as it depends on your equipment spec. Some older and now less-supported systems need a special regression to 1.8 ‘Legacy’

That is the problem with these major updates. They will keep bloating the software every year until it obsoletes our expensive and perfectly functional music servers. I wish they’d stop doing major updates. The software doesn’t need any more features.

That is the problem with these major updates. They will keep bloating the software every year until it obsoletes our expensive and perfectly functional music servers. I wish they’d stop doing major updates. The software doesn’t need any more features.

fully agree. ARC seems for pirates looking to run their own private streaming service, somewhat surprised it’s fully kosher.

It’s all about streaming these days and this feels like an unnecessary product except for maybe the *most* obsessive among us who absolutely must have access to those Barry Diament Leppelin masters at all times because god forbid I’m unaware of provenance while listening in my car. At 24/96, of course.

that said, I love my nucleus + dac of choice vs any other streaming solution I’ve tried yet, including Linn DSM. And of course I’ve got those Diament masters loaded on the SSD. But I’m ok with Spotify in the car.

My Macmini M1 updated fine, as did our iPads and iPhones. But my MacBook M1, which I occasionally use as a control point, got stuck in a loop as you described. I think I killed Roon in activity monitor and tried again and it was ok, or I might have rebooted. I notice much slicker faster performance between my iPad and the core.

fully agree. ARC seems for pirates looking to run their own private streaming service, somewhat surprised it’s fully kosher.

It’s all about streaming these days and this feels like an unnecessary product except for maybe the *most* obsessive among us who absolutely must have access to those Barry Diament Leppelin masters at all times because god forbid I’m unaware of provenance while listening in my car. At 24/96, of course.

that said, I love my nucleus + dac of choice vs any other streaming solution I’ve tried yet, including Linn DSM. And of course I’ve got those Diament masters loaded on the SSD. But I’m ok with Spotify in the car.

Sorry, but you're assuming your needs and desires fit the bill for everyone else. ARC does not have to stream lossless, in fact with UK mobile networks being as crap as they are the vast majority of users would be better off setting ARC to transcode and send the lossy stream to your phone. If you're already subscribed to a streaming service it may be moot (discounting UI/UX). However, if like me, you're not subscribed to a streaming service, having the ability to listen to my music on the go (whether going for a walk, commuting to the shitty or driving somewhere), uninterrupted by adverts, unhindered by stuff I don't enjoy and without having to pay yet another subscription, then ARC is a great addition.

As for the piracy thing, sure as a customer I'm going to dish out my Roon credentials to all and sundry to screw with my account, stream music from my home and suck up my bandwidth. :rolleyes:

The thing they had screwed up though is making internet access mandatory to be able to use Roon, even when listening to a local collection in your own home. So copper, copper masquerading as fiber, or fiber to the premise down you're screwed insofar as listening to your music is concerned. That is an extremely selfish decision to make, and I suspect it's because Roon is rapidly moving in the direction of monetising what it knows of its collective user's listening habits, tastes, etc. Of course this is speculation on my part, but I would not at all be surprised to find that the subsciber base is in fact being monetised.

Difficult to say that ARC wasn’t necessary, as it was the single most requested feature from the user base over a constant period. Now, just what the actual proportion of the whole user base was, I don’t know. However, when you create a facility for users to request feature updates, you do kind of have to respond to the number one on that list. Not much use to me and it does seem to get more complicated as time moves on, but that’s true of many things.

This happened to me. Its when you have updated your device first, the Core needs to be updated first, I have no idea how I fixed it, but I dids, so it is possible!

I haven't updated the device at all as I'm not interested in ARC. According to the 'about' tab my core is running the latest version. I force stopped and restarted Roon all to no avail. Not sure what to do next.......

There is detailed guidance from Roon, depending on what you want. Your system can run Roon 2.0. If you want that, your control devices must have been updated first, then you update the Core. If you don’t want Roon 2.0, you cannot continue with 1.8. You must update control apps and then Core to 1.8 ‘Legacy’ but they won’t support that forever. The Roon community and website has all the info you need.

I haven't updated the device at all as I'm not interested in ARC. According to the 'about' tab my core is running the latest version. I force stopped and restarted Roon all to no avail. Not sure what to do next.......

However, Roons policy (as per all other releases so far) is that they eventually will sunset 1.8 and force all users to 2.0 whether you want it or not.

Thus people with hardware that isnt compatible will get screwed and need to by new hardware.

Peter

Difficult to say that ARC wasn’t necessary, as it was the single most requested feature from the user base over a constant period. Now, just what the actual proportion of the whole user base was, I don’t know. However, when you create a facility for users to request feature updates, you do kind of have to respond to the number one on that list. Not much use to me and it does seem to get more complicated as time moves on, but that’s true of many things.

#1 on that list might be unnecessary if complicating the experience in any way for the majority

I don’t even think it’s legal.if it were a larger service I think we’d see challenges from either labels, services, or both.

Roon will eventually be purchased by a streaming giant and folded into their service. Especially if this is #1 most requested innovation (basically, to become a personal streaming service).

And that streaming service will allow cloud storage for alternates/rips (see Apple Music, already) and that’s that. I have two years pre-purchased so will be interesting to see what it becomes or folds into.

ARC is a bit retrograde in a way, since it’s greatest appeal seems to be to people who have a large library of rips and downloads. I mostly listen to Qobuz now, and I’ve thus been able to stream to my phone for years, in a choice of resolutions, and with the ability to cache a decent number of albums on the phone to use without cellular, which Roon still can’t do. So it’s a bit meh for me. I suspect people younger than me who take Spotify and Apple Music for granted would barely be able to understand why you would want to stream anything from your computer at home.

I don’t think they’re doing anything that doesn’t happen anywhere else. I just think the launch could have been handled better. They’re providing 1.8 Legacy for those who want to continue ‘as is’ or don’t want to upgrade hardware right now. It just won’t receive any further development. That sort of thing happens all the time. It was always going to outgrow older hardware and operating systems. It just should have been handled better, as I’ve said in a few places on the Roon Forum.

Actually, they were accused by many members of ignoring the needs of people with libraries and pushing too far in the streaming direction. Just goes to show, you can’t please everyone.

As a non-Roon user (tried several times, liked its concepts but its implementation wasnt to my taste) and a software dev, I LOVE when Roon releases a new version as the Roon community pages are full of the latest woes that Roon has inflicted on its users which makes for "good" reading.

As I noted on another thread here, Roon are up there with the worst companies when it comes to lack of flexibility and care for the customer.

What gets me is putting aside all its meta data stuff, Roon is about the visual (i.e. GUI) experience and you would therefore expect them to tread carefully here as with any GUI based product (as opposed to a command line product ***) , end users really get invested in how the GUI looks/works.

But Roon is always about absolutes and never cares about making GUI changes optional... its always a hard shift one way or another.

There are a massive number of these examples over the years and its always interesting to see Roons response.

In Roon 2.0 they introduced smooth scrolling and removed they way they previously scrolled and so people who dont like smooth scrolling are complaining. The CTO's response is "suck eggs, we know what we are doing and beside we did this in response to some user requests".

It always boggles my mind that that is the way Roon develops software... some customers request feature X but to implement feature X they never allow feature Y (which might be the opposite of feature X) to co-exist (i.e. make it optional)... its in many cases complete supercession.

So some customers asked for a feature which means a feature that other customers like is now removed.

Or worse, Roon dream up a new feature that kills some pre-existing feature like round artist photos in place of square ones or being able to use Roon without an internet connection which 2.0 now needs.

Aside from the arrogance of Roon, from a technical perspective it appears that their fat client architecture/coding practices makes it impossible (or difficult) to support optional features. So not only is Roon a case study in how not to treat your customers but also one (if we could delve under the covers) of how not to write flexible software.

Peter

*** It's like a company that provides a SQL command line product that used "\" as a line continuation now saying it will now be tilde "~" cause some customers wanted this feature. Now every customer has to change/recompile 100/1000's of scripts/programs cause some subset of customers wanted something else

wow...

So there was a thread on the Roon message board about adding back in the ability for Roon 2.0 to work without an internet connection (as per previous releases), in the section where users can vote for features.

After getting 116 votes for this (which is very high for such a short amount of time), the Roon CTO stated this is not on the road map and closed and locked the message thread.

Talk about disrespecting your end users!!

Peter

advertisement

Back