advertisement

How many 'Desert Island Discs' would you need?

Guitar Beard

pfm Member
With the prevalence of streaming and life generally getting in the way, Accuphaseman and myself were discussing how many of our discs get played regularly - Not as many as we think.
So, thinking about how many CDs and LPs don't get played often we set ourselves a challenge. What 100 discs from our collection would we take to a desert island.
I fairly easily distilled 1100 CDs / 620 LPs down to my top 100 discs. The ones on frequent rotation, or deeply sentimental etc.
This is where it got much more difficult - trying to reduce it down to my top 50. I am currently stuck at 51.

So, a rather long winded build up to a simple question - How many discs would you need on a desert island to not miss spotify etc. or the rest of your collection?
Jay

It just isn’t the way I work. My recent play list is usually stuff new to me, stuff I am exploring. Many of my ‘favourite’ records, e.g. Electric Warrior, Unknown Pleasures never get played as I know them so don’t need to. The stuff that gets played the most is the most dense and layered stuff, e.g. Bitches Brew, various Coltrane albums where there is just so much information to sift through. Whatever I chose as a ‘desert island’ thing I’d go mad pretty fast as I like to explore new things too much. I’d prefer to take stuff that still needs exploration e.g. the complete Blue Note, Impulse and Riverside catalogues would take me some time to pick the bones out of!

I would like my whole collection.

Space wouldn’t be an issue, and the volume of records would allow for artistes/bands to go in and out of favour.

I am with @Tony L on this - there are just SO many records that I do not play, but I would be totally lost witout - they'll get played as a "refresher" to remind me how totally wonderful they are, every 1-2-3 years, just by way of confirmation.

Meanwhile, the drain on my finances continues as new great music appears every day, or at least every week.

Fat lot of good you lot would be roughing it marooned on a desert island if you can't cope with less than a thousand records. Wait til you see the accommodation and catering :)

advertisement

Back