advertisement

King Charles III

#3 refusing the hand of a black man

I'm not a fan of Charles, but it doesn't look like that at all to me. He was clearly trying to move on, but was then caught by the next person along from the black man in question. I'm sure quite a few here would like it to be true though.

^^^^^

He seemed to have time for people that happened to be caucasian . . . but then decided that receiving the hand of a Black man would be a jolly good time to . . . shake the hands of some more white-skinned people further along.

John

^^^^^

He seemed to have time for people that happened to be caucasian . . . but then decided that receiving the hand of a Black man would be a jolly good time to . . . shake the hands of some more white-skinned people further along.

John
I think you'd have to watch the entire occasion to draw any statistically significant conclusion on that. I'm not trying to defend the guy really, but I just think many wish to put the worst possible interpretation on anything he does, which is deeply unfair. Argue a case against the monarchy by all means, but don't make things up or make inferences without proper objective evidence is all I'm saying.

I'm not a fan of Charles, but it doesn't look like that at all to me. He was clearly trying to move on, but was then caught by the next person along from the black man in question. I'm sure quite a few here would like it to be true though.
I thought what you do the first time I watched it. On closer, repeated inspection, I'm convinced it's exactly what it looks like: CiiiR feigning distraction to avoid the black guy.

I would suggest not to judge someone on a 15 sec video. I m pretty sure he s shaken more black hands than most could imagine

@gustavm

Statistics have nothing to do with it, neither does whether or not Chuck was trying to move on. Video footage shows the King shaking hands with caucasian people stood on both sides of the Black guy, who's hand was refused.

As for giving him a free pass for his behaviour, well, he is the King I suppose, so that's all right then.

John

I thought what you do the first time I watched it. On closer, repeated inspection, I'm convinced it's exactly what it looks like: CiiiR feigning distraction to avoid the black guy.

I've watched it again several times, and still disagree with you, or at least cannot understand how you can be so certain. What happened to giving somebody the benefit of the doubt? (After all, its a pretty vile accusation being made here.)

@gustavm

Statistics have nothing to do with it, neither does whether or not Chuck was trying to move on. Video footage shows the King shaking hands with caucasian people but not a Black guy. As for giving him a free pass for his behaviour, well, he is the King I suppose, so that's all right then.

John

By statistical, I meant that if you wanted to be fair and objective rather than forming a damning option on the strength of a very short clip, you'd need to look at how he treated other members of the same crowd over a longer period. If "avoiding shaking hands with black people" was a definite trait of his, I suspect it would have been picked up long ago.

Childish? Well, I edited what I wrote soon after I posted, so apologies if that offended you, but I do think adult debate should be conducted a little more objectively and carefully.

I just notice the clip entitled "UK King skips black man..." originates from a Tehran News agency. Probably not the most objective of sources.

And from where did the Tehran News agency source the video?

What's important to this discusion is what the video clearly and indubitably shows.

Your tenacity in finding excuses is quite impressive. Try another one. ;)

John

I’m sure if he finds touching black people so unpleasant he could, oh I don’t know, pretend not to, perhaps for a moment, you know, just for the cameras? If only he was schooled in public appearance…

And from where did the Tehran News agency source the video?

What's important to this discusion is what the video clearly and indubitably shows.

Your tenacity in finding excuses is quite impressive. Try another one. ;)

John

A 15sec clip form a public event that was how long? Given the source, do you not think it is remotely possible the short clip was selected deliberately so that spin could be applied? Who knows, he may even have shaken hands with other black people at the same event. I'm guessing that he may have shaken hands with people of all races and colours in his time.

A 15sec clip form a public event that was how long? Given the source, do you not think it is remotely possible the short clip was selected deliberately so that spin could be applied? Who knows, he may even have shaken hands with other black people at the same event. I'm guessing that he may have shaken hands with people of all races and colours in his time.

Maybe your guess is correct. But even racists will sometimes find themselves making concessions when duty calls, which doesn't negate Chuck having a preference for a particular skin colour. Either way, Chuck certainly hasn't done himself any favours in this instance.

John

advertisement

Back