advertisement

Ukraine V

My partners son - no military service but 30 with a wife and an 8 month old - no more a Putinite than my Mari.:(
Mari is scared sh-------ss for him.
Sorry to hear that. Hope he and his family come out of this okay.
Is there any way they can get out, leave?
Let's not forget all the good and principled people caught up in this megalomaniac's horrorshow.

That was a highly profitable prisoner exchange for Ukraine- four times as many in exchange for Russians and Russian proxies, notably the national traitor Medvechuk who had tried to scuttle away from house arrest back to his sugar daddy Moscow. Putin probably has great plans for him as Vizier of Novi Russia in the west. If he’s foolish enough to attempt to return I’m sure his GPS coordinates will catch up with him this time.

I wonder whether conscription is the straw that breaks the camel’s back for Putin. Easy to ignore war hundreds of miles away, especially if you’re told daily it’s all going swimmingly. Bit different if your sons and brothers are being sent their against their will.

That was a highly profitable prisoner exchange for Ukraine- four times as many in exchange for Russians and Russian proxies, notably the national traitor Medvechuk who had tried to scuttle away from house arrest back to his sugar daddy Moscow. Putin probably has great plans for him as Vizier of Novi Russia in the west. If he’s foolish enough to attempt to return I’m sure his GPS coordinates will catch up with him this time.
There was report 200 for Medvechuk and 5 comanders from Azov for 55 russians.

How to ensure your army is full of those committed to your cause.

Conscripts make for a less effective fighting force. They are less prepared or trained than their professional counterpart and, if there because it was that 'or else', only fight as long as fear their own NCOs and officers is greater than fear of the enemy.

Conscripts make for a less effective fighting force. They are less prepared or trained than their professional counterpart and, if there because it was that 'or else', only fight as long as fear their own NCOs and officers is greater than fear of the enemy.
….or imagine fighting alongside convicts? More of a threat than the Ukrainians

….or imagine fighting alongside convicts? More of a threat than the Ukrainians

According to Vladimir, prisoners were shown footage during Prighozin’s visit of Russian soldiers “bravely fighting” in Ukraine and were promised that their actions in the country would not be punished. “Prisoners will know they can act with complete impunity there,” said Vladimir, who has since left jail. “Prison turns you into an animal, and there is a lot of hate growing inside you. Their hands will be untied there,” he added.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/20/russia-recruits-inmates-ukraine-war-wagner-prigozhin

Putin's interpretation of 'partial conscription' is to literally kidnap Russian citizens off the streets. As others have mentioned, the inevitable fear, anger and resentment this policy inculcates in civilian victims will negate morale, discipline, or an effective fighting force. More than 1300 protesters arrested (many now conscripts).

John

You`d really want to further piss off protestors by putting them in the army wouldn`t you? Handy access to munitions and fuel - expect internal sabotage to be on the up.

You`d really want to further piss off protestors by putting them in the army wouldn`t you? Handy access to munitions and fuel - expect internal sabotage to be on the up.

On the other hand I imagine the prospect of being conscripted into the Russian Army will be a pretty effective deterrent to protest.

On the other hand I imagine the prospect of being conscripted into the Russian Army will be a pretty effective deterrent to protest.

Hmmm, let's see. Conscripting thousands of people who were protesting against the war to fight in the war, against their will? Oh dear Mr. Putin. That's just asking for trouble. Best stay away from any windows if I were you. What's that? Whoops...

A couple of things I don't understand. One question for which I posted early in this thread but got a confusing answer. Can someone shed light on this? I've followed this invasion throughout, but am uncertain of the genuine inhabitation situation along the eastern border.

(1) The original separatist movement in the Donbas which initiated the military stand off for years. Did they hold an election (referendum?) to ask whether the mainly Russian speaking inhabitants wanted to stay part of the Ukraine or gravitate to Russia? There was, I think, a largely ridiculed vote in the Crimea in '14 where an overwhelming % wanted to come under Russian influence (prob. changed now, even if valid then).

(2) Will the projected referenda in the other 4 occupied areas be monitored by ligit. overseers or done the Russian way? As Putin claims that a favourable referendum would lead to annexation, thus giving him supposed authority to claim attacks on 'Russian' territory, would this not be an illegal and therefore unrecognised act according to globally accepted or enshrined protocols?

I believe in people having precedence over territory, and I wonder if there are parts of the Ukraine which genuinely and legally voted to secede from the Ukraine, as that, to my mind and if so, puts a different perspective on this whole affair.

There has been no referenda in Donbass before.

The upcoming referenda are all "electronic" and will occur in a few days.

Russian language observers think that Putin was given a strong " advice " to step down by his entourage on Monday and he refused and lashed out.

advertisement

Back