advertisement

Linn LP12s – Fire away!

From some measurements I took back in May I estimated stylus drag to be less than 0.01N. I'm sceptical of this figure, it seems too high. A gram at the surface of the earth weighs about 0.01N.

But as an upper bound worth thinking about.

Here's a Demo, stylus drag error shown in real time @ 2:40 but the whole video is interesting, not my video FWIW but I do own a similar devise called the Timeline SE:

Reactions: VTA
You will have to make your own arrangements I'm afraid. I'm not currently able to provide battleships, or even a suitable derrick. You also need a windless day or a very large hangar.

What a disappointment, short of finding a shipyard with a battleship under construction or overhaul & asking them nicely I'll have to take your word for it :( ;) Wouldn't want to cause a disaster though :D

I don't need to prove it since it's GCSE Physics. You're the one making the extraordinary claim.

Not really. It's like the whole moving the world with a long enough lever thing. On paper in makes sense but only if you ignore the practical and physical constraints that make it utterly impossible. Saying you can't is not an extraordinary claim, it's a statement of fact.

The Audiomods arm did look quite bling with all the holes! I didn't think the sound was all that special but it was ok. Nothing bad.

Nothing bad is a good general description of the sound of Rega arms! One person's bland in another's nothing bad. The problem is that components which are coloured need to be compensated for, which I don't mind at all, but if you have a lot of things which are coloured it can get tricky.

That tenor subchassis is cheap. Did you try it with a pre cirkus bearing too or only cirkus?

My deck has a Cirkus and I fitted one and a Tenor top-plate to a friend's deck which is pre-Cirkus. It was a big upgrade in my opinion. I'm about to buy a better Stack sub-chassis and I've yet to decide whether to fit the Tenor to the other LP12 or sell it.

So I assume you set that height then just use VTA adjustments to dial in the SRA?

If the cart is level that does me, or close enough. Dial in the tracking weight and I'm done.

Prove you can't ;-)

I don't need to prove it since it's GCSE Physics. You're the one making the extraordinary claim.
A reasonable estimate of how far a suspended battleship would move with the push of a finger is in the order of the wavelength of visible light. Given that said battleship will be vibrating in all sorts of unpredictable modes that will cause movements in excess of that I think it's fair to say 'you can't'.

OTOH measuring the magnitude of stylus drag, how it varies during play, how the subchassis moves in response and what that means for pitch variations is all eminently practical. It would behoove the critics of the LP12 to prove it. IMO.

If anybody wants a braKe, get in contact.

My John R insoles are on their way so I hope to be able to say what I´m missing or have gained before Christmas and whether or not I have a slightly used (10 years ?)set of springs and grommets for sale.

I think an hour of firm and well timed little-finger presses at the pendulum's natural frequency should get the ship moving visibly.

I don't. The energy needed to overcome the friction in any pendulum that could hold a fifty thousand ton ship would be a show stopper. It might work on paper, with your theoretical frictionless hanger, but in the real world it's not happening.

I remember trying to convince my maths teacher that you could stand on a stationary skateboard at the bottom of a half pipe and get up to the rail without touching the ground.

I guess your maths teacher was a bit thick then as any kid knows a human can overcome the friction in skateboard trucks by shifting their weight very easily.

I don't. The energy needed to overcome the friction in any pendulum that could hold a fifty thousand ton ship would be a show stopper. It might work on paper, with your theoretical frictionless hanger, but in the real world it's not happening.

There are lots of reasons why we won't see this in the real world.

I guess your maths teacher was a bit thick then as any kid knows a human can overcome the friction in skateboard trucks by shifting their weight very easily.

Can you explain the process?

I think an hour of firm and well timed little-finger presses at the pendulum's natural frequency should get the ship moving visibly. A stopwatch should help.
The energy you can put in with each push is of the order of 50N*500nM. or next to nothing. I think this analogy was absurd when first mooted and has descended into futility.

Question is how much does the subchassis move in response to stylus drag, and how much does that drag vary in the short term causing wobble. All questions to which it would be very interesting to know the answers.

LP12 owner Nick my 3rd one over 35 years.

I find it very musical and listenable but no way would I think it's the best deck out there.There's so many great decks that I haven't heard yet and probably won't.
I think with LP12 owners and most other turntable users of other makes their happy with what they use.
I have a Karousel on mine and it's so detailed and smooth almost digitally quiet but sometimes I miss the pre cirkus bearing and that upper bass bloom..not accurate I know but it did have that LP12 magic about it.PRAT in spades !

hey I’m cirkus/Ekos/krad/Arkiv/Urika and still have the bass bloom. But that might be the Saras.

Nothing bad is a good general description of the sound of Rega arms! One person's bland in another's nothing bad. The problem is that components which are coloured need to be compensated for, which I don't mind at all, but if you have a lot of things which are coloured it can get tricky.

My deck has a Cirkus and I fitted one and a Tenor top-plate to a friend's deck which is pre-Cirkus. It was a big upgrade in my opinion. I'm about to buy a better Stack sub-chassis and I've yet to decide whether to fit the Tenor to the other LP12 or sell it.

If the cart is level that does me, or close enough. Dial in the tracking weight and I'm done.

Sorry was busy the last couple of days. That makes sense re the nothing bad comment. You could be right about the Rega arms being more neutral than the Linn arms. I see what you mean about colouring and if too many components are lkke that there can be an issues but there is also the synergy issue. Some components just work well together. Like the Linn arms and the old Linn carts like the Troika etc, or the Aro and Troika.

The tenor subchassis sounds lkke a decent upgrade for a pre cirkus deck. How did the sound change? More detail etc? Was there still some of the characteristic pre cirkus traits like the sweeter top end and somewhat fuller mid bass?

Maybe the pulsating drag interreaction with the direct drive servo is the reason for the terrible speed performance of the Technics?

advertisement

Back