advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

I've decided I won't be having any more jabs, I think I might be one of those who is asymptomatic as there's no way I have avoided it all this time given where I go and what I do.

Had my 4th jab today (Moderna) and they very kindly offered me the flu vaccine as well. Had both - no adverse reaction :)

I had both on Saturday. Sore left arm for the Covid jab and felt a bit nauseous later and the next day for a bit but nothing too serious.

BQ.1.1 (a descendent of BA.5) has been showing very quick growth in the last couple of weeks, particularly in the UK - no data on antigenicity, etc yet but definitely yet another one to watch...

https://twitter.com/PeacockFlu/status/1572535488023769095?cxt=HHwWjsDRhbus4tIrAAAA

The state by state variation is shocking:

Health care staff vaccinated and boosted:
Massachusetts: 96.3%
Texas: 37.6%

Nursing home resident deaths (per 100 residents, 4 weeks ending August 21st 2022)
Massachusetts: 0.05
Texas: 0.15

So 400 a day/2800 a week is covid over?, **** sake they destabilised the Middle East and killed hundreds of thousands whilst spending trillions of $ for a one off event that killed 2977 folk

A one-off event that had nothing to do with Iraq. And not much to do with the government of Afghanistan either. But plenty to do with money and letting poor Americans die to make the country that may not be named super safe.

I'm afraid it looks as if Zoe was correct and there's been a significant rise in cases feeding a new rise in hospitalisations. The latest figure is 781 (19th the bank holiday) cf 519 a week ago.

Long-term neurologic outcomes of COVID-19

Our results show that in the postacute phase of COVID-19, there was increased risk of an array of incident neurologic sequelae including ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, cognition and memory disorders, peripheral nervous system disorders, episodic disorders (for example, migraine and seizures), extrapyramidal and movement disorders, mental health disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, sensory disorders, Guillain–Barré syndrome, and encephalitis or encephalopathy.

https://rdcu.be/cV7yU

Zoe update - case increase confirmed 28% on a fortnight ago corresponding to 1 in 37. Driven by the youngsters and now passed on the the old folk.

The following points [ONS] are for the week ending 14 September 2022 for England and Wales, and the week ending 13 September for Northern Ireland and Scotland. The data are clearly lagging Zoe...

• The percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) increased in England and Wales, and decreased in Northern Ireland and Scotland.
  • In England, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 766,500 (95% credible interval: 714,800 to 822,400), equating to 1.41% of the population, or around 1 in 70 people.
  • In Wales, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 39,700 (95% credible interval: 29,800 to 51,900), equating to 1.31% of the population, or around 1 in 75 people.
  • In Northern Ireland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 22,900 (95% credible interval: 15,000 to 32,800), equating to 1.25% of the population, or around 1 in 80 people.
  • In Scotland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 98,800 (95% credible interval: 80,300 to 119,100), equating to 1.88% of the population, or around 1 in 55 people.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...uscovid19infectionsurveypilot/23september2022

"There are also new variants. While Omicron has dominated in the UK since last winter, it has numerous “daughter” forms. The BA.5 sub-variant is the most common, but experts are keeping their eyes on others including BA4.6, BF.7, BA.2.75.2 and BQ.1.1.

As Dr Thomas Peacock, of Imperial College London, points out, recent data suggest the latter two each account for less than 0.5% of Covid genetic sequences in the UK – but they are growing fast. “It’s entirely possible an autumn/winter wave is driven by a mixture of variants,” Peacock said.

Prof Tom Wenseleers, an evolutionary biologist at the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium, said BA.2.75.2 and BQ1.1 have mutations in their spike protein that help them to partly escape from BA.5-induced immunity.

“Combined with the fact that Covid hospitalisations have already started rising again in the UK, and that the full effect of these variants still isn’t felt, I would say this is not such great news,” he said."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ve-could-be-worse-than-the-last-as-cases-rise

I'm afraid it looks as if Zoe was correct and there's been a significant rise in cases feeding a new rise in hospitalisations. The latest figure is 781 (19th the bank holiday) cf 519 a week ago.

Surely this cannot come as a great surprise, given the recent events in London and tens of thousands of people being in such close proximity to each other? :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back