advertisement

Sugden A21 Sig vs A21SE Sig

HifiDan

pfm Member
Hi all,

I apparently have this massive itch to scratch whereby I want to try a Sugden Amp. The thing is, do I go for the standard A21 or the SE.

Has anyone compared the 2 and if so, is the SE that much better?

Thanks,

Dan.

I have and think it will largely depend on the rest of your system, particularly the sensitivity of your speakers, and how you listen.

I owned both. The A21 is sweeter sounding and the much better amp I felt. I was really disappointed with the SE….maybe I got a bad one, Lol? Both were bought from brand new. To expand, the A21se sounded more forced and brasher than the entry level model.

Hi all,

I apparently have this massive itch to scratch whereby I want to try a Sugden Amp. The thing is, do I go for the standard A21 or the SE.

Has anyone compared the 2 and if so, is the SE that much better?

Thanks,

Dan.
I have the A21 Sig. As said above this needs careful pairing with speakers (mine are 90db and easy load) and will go plenty loud enough but isn't going to reach nightclub levels as it's 23w. It's a phenomenal amp though.

I've not heard the SE. No need for me in my room.

Good luck buying either one atm. Sugden wait times are huge!

I actually advertised mine last night, then killed my advert this morning. I've just bought a fully rebuilt Leak20 and don't want to rashly move the Sugden on then regret it later.

It really is a world class amp.

Well, my PMC 25.21i have a claimed sensitivity of 86.5db in an 8x6m room.

Will most likely speak with my local dealer for a dem!

I had Twenty 23's on the end of the Sugden to start. Whilst it worked there were better combinations.

If it's in any way helpful there's a stream of my ramblings of me trying different speakers on the end of the A21 Sig below.

Imo, the very best combinations are:

1) Sugden & ART my current speakers - amazing.
2) Sugden and Harbeth C7ES-XD.
3) Sugden and ProAc DB1 (I'm still haunted by this combo and part of me regrets not immediately buying them).

It was surprising just how much power a lowly 23w generates. Highly impressive.

However, to each their own. You might hate the combos I liked and my ears are not your etc. so get out and get listening. Have fun!

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/listening-day.105216/

Curious absurd this myself. I have the SE, with Tannoys, but I don’t think I need the extra power and I could do without the extra power consumption.

8x6 is a big room for an A21. Deffo get a home dem too.

Also, if you haven't got some, but some -10db rothwells as the volume dial starts from the bottom at 6-oclock and will be LOUD by 9-oclock. These give you a bit more play and fine control on the dial.

I’m currently running a Naim Supernait 2/Hi-cap combo, I’m pretty sure this is 35w pc and it’s loud enough with the PMC’s.

absolutely love the DB1’s but I need front ported due to positioning. Would love bigger speakers though, wouldn’t we all?

i dont think so - class a is flat out all the time i think. My 21se was hotter doing nothing than when being driven

Same distributor I know but there’s a reason for Bryston/PMC. The A21 is very different from a Bryston.

A21 can essentially substitute anywhere a valve amp would work well. I ran mine primarily with Living Voice but also Audio Note AX2s and ProAc Tablettes. All rather different from PMCs but try it and see.

The SE I’ve only demmed not owned.

PS I disagree on the Rothwells.

I was using a unison research amp before I got the PMC’s, changed to a Krell 400xi and the PMC’s burst into life.

advertisement

Back