advertisement

Train strikes

hifinutt

hifinutt
apologies if this covered elsewhere . The latest train strikes 1st and 5th will affect millions
when will it end ?? One has a very important nhs appointment that has been jepardised and thousands of marathon runners will be affected .

how will it affect you and how do we sort it out . ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62969423

One problem is the very concept of a ‘fair deal’ in a death-spiralling economy with >10% inflation in a world market running at a fraction of that. I support the unions, but I support them in ultimately bringing this government down. I don’t think pay can be logically addressed in this catastrophic economic climate, especially with a government wedded to entirely failed Thatcherite ‘trickle-down’ tax cuts for millionaires etc.

One thing that is very clear is this government will fight hard and dirty. They are already attempting to remove basic workers rights to strike activity, legalise unskilled strike-breakers etc etc. There is a real fight brewing for sure. Maybe a very long one. I don’t see how the unions can win, the economy is just too broken, but I’ll stand with them against Tory idiocy and class belligerence at every step.

There is a conundrum really. For example my wife will no longer use the railway (used to be a £2k season ticket) as it has become so unreliable and disrupted. about 6 of her colleagues have done the same. As passengers desert the railways, less revenue will result in increasingly poor service.

No government in this country is going to subsidise a railway. They might take control.

The railways are in deep trouble. Which is a shame as there has been investment in infrastructure and rolling stock.

It’s too expensive for those who need to travel i.e. at 7am in the morning. Cheaper to drive most of the time, even with expensive fuel.

Indeed there has been lots of investment, sadly the trains are owned by ROSCOs (rolling stock companies) who lease them to the TOCs (train operating companies) who get their franchises from the govt. Most TOCs only own the clothes they're stood up in. Subsidies are aiui on a sliding (reducing) scale over the term of the franchise hence they become less attractive with time and some companies like to get, or be forced out after the early jamboree. The model used for privatisation could hardly have been made more wasteful, the effective subsidy is now far greater than it was when the Railways were in public ownership.

There is a conundrum really. For example my wife will no longer use the railway (used to be a £2k season ticket) as it has become so unreliable and disrupted. about 6 of her colleagues have done the same. As passengers desert the railways, less revenue will result in increasingly poor service.

No government in this country is going to subsidise a railway. They might take control.

The railways are in deep trouble. Which is a shame as there has been investment in infrastructure and rolling stock.

Indeed there has been lots of investment, sadly the trains are owned by ROSCOs (rolling stock companies) who lease them to the TOCs (train operating companies) who get their franchises from the govt. Most TOCs only own the clothes they're stood up in. Subsidies are aiui on a sliding (reducing) scale over the term of the franchise hence they become less attractive with time and some companies like to get, or be forced out after the early jamboree. The model used for privatisation could hardly have been made more wasteful, the effective subsidy is now far greater than it was when the Railways were in public ownership.

indeed I know.

What are they going to do with HS2, - if / when it ever gets finished.
Huge investment (not just private) and huge amounts of land taken that simply should not have been.
Then they wound in just what they were going to do to something way less.
Yet still they continue with the madness so folks can save a few minutes from London / Birmingham.

The random pricing is a big problem, OH went down to the funeral and it was £40 return first class for an hour long journey which was good.

We now always check fares before travel unless it's essential.

She's up in Newcastle tonight then we're both down to Moorfields Thursday so that's our driver's pay rise taken care of for a few years.

The random pricing is a big problem, OH went down to the funeral and it was £40 return first class for an hour long journey which was good.

We now always check fares before travel unless it's essential.

She's up in Newcastle tonight then we're both down to Moorfields Thursday so that's our driver's pay rise taken care of for a few years.

true - we had first class one way Torquay to London recently for £40 per person. They just paid me a refund of nearly £200 for 1st class one way London to Penzance cancelled due to strikes.

apologies if this covered elsewhere . The latest train strikes 1st and 5th will affect millions
when will it end ??

Expect a lot more strikes, from a lot more professions, as inflation rises - there are estimates of 20% next year.

I suspect Tony is right, the economy is shagged. But I don't hold much hope for a Truss government doing much to help. So what choice do people have?

What are they going to do with HS2, - if / when it ever gets finished.
Huge investment (not just private) and huge amounts of land taken that simply should not have been.
Then they wound in just what they were going to do to something way less.
Yet still they continue with the madness so folks can save a few minutes from London / Birmingham.

I think they’re just in too deep now to change tack with it.

Good of them to strike the day before the London marathon, when thousands will be heading into town. How to win friends and influence people.

advertisement

Back