advertisement

Anti Vibration Devices

Think I’ve been around enough to know that if you don’t make enough money selling cables, have a go at isolation devices, then mains, (subsection fuses), then small stones somewhere. And so it goes.

or like Purite, start off with all that, then do a 180 on it all as the market is less saturated in the 'other' camp, so a more unique USP emerges...

Fluttering, whatever you think of Keith, and it seems to be a lot, he is consistent and seems to have remained so. Take him or leave him, then move on.

My in-room measurements of the acoustic output of a loudspeaker's crossover slope show that a frequency response measurement does not resolve the contribution of a drive unit at the crossover point once it's around -20dB down from reference level. Thus, if we accept Keith's view, any sound output from a loudspeaker that's -20dB down in level from the main signal is inaudible... :rolleyes:

Fluttering, whatever you think of Keith, and it seems to be a lot, he is consistent and seems to have remained so. Take him or leave him, then move on.

Oh its most definitely not a lot lol, but if the circular rhetoric continually appears, then so will mine about such circular rhetoric. The whole consistency argument is weak as all it represents is absolutism, and that has no place in a modern society.

I'm sure your crusade has its place but forum stalking is never a good look.

No it may not be, but responses to posts are how forums work, plus I have no interest in looking good to the PFM massive.

Out of curiosity, how do you define crusade? What attributes? This could be interesting when we link their association to others..

No it may not be, but responses to posts are how forums work, plus I have no interest in looking good to the PFM massive.

Out of curiosity, how do you define crusade? What attributes? This could be interesting when we link their association to others..

We may be getting off-topic...

1. isn't a crusade when devious men use religious extremism to justify invasions and mass murder? Didn't a chap called Bush cause some friction when using the word a few years ago in Arabia?

2. Trying to get everyone to talk sensibly and constructively here is (as was pointed out to me shortly after joining) like trying to do it in a pub near closing time. All we can do if we object, at the expense of a bit of time and some boring repetition, is to keep calling them on less helpful remarks - good luck in your efforts.

I'd also say that it is easy to assume that lots of people are being insincere and merely trying to disrupt the conversation for some peculiar reason of their own: some are.

On the other hand, many of the more Objectivist/ sceptical here are just trying to introduce some caution about excess enthusiasm, unwarranted claims and how easy it is for any of us to be fooled into spending large amounts of cash with little or no chance of hearing any actual SQ improvement. It is often hard to tell the two groups apart of course, but a good hint comes from ASR - those who take its results as The Truth are unlikely to say much that the rest of us find constructive. Some are also more irritable than others.

Also, if sneering were always unhelpful and inappropriate, I'd probably play a lot less Frank Zappa than I do.

I reckon most PFM-er's are literally massive!

Inner tube under TT felt pads under speakers, rubber feet under dac and pre just to tilt the displays up.

To get back to the question...

1. Some of us who have tried (even if that just means swapping from sideboard/ book case to Naim Fraim/ Quadraspire/ Isoblue racks) reckon that what is under solid state kit can make a small difference to SQ. Some even think that in some rooms and systems, modest additional improvement is possible.

2. Plenty of other people either assert that there can be no difference, or that they have really tried and heard nothing but their own expectation bias.

3. Almost everyone thinks that what goes under a turntable is important for SQ, even if domestic realities mean some compromises.

4. The jury is still out on what goes under speakers, but...

If i have counted correctly, 40 PFMers reported on Isoacoustics Gaias back in 2020. 7 thought they made things worse and 32 thought they gave an improvement. 23 mentioned or showed their floors - at the margin, the naysayers are slightly more likely to have carpet rather than sprung floorboards but the difference is not clear and the sample size very small, and much the same applies to standmounts versus floorstanders for what benefits more/ less.

The most consistent comment, even more than 'tightens up the bass' was probably the advice to get a set on 30-day trial and listen in your own home. I suspect strongly that that isn't a bad summary for what most of us are saying here.

Does any of that look wrong?

advertisement

Back