advertisement

Close to the Edge is 50

I never bought the album - I much prefer "Fragile" - but I have this compilation with the CTTE title track on it. It's a Joe Gastwirt master from '91 and sounds OK to me.

Mi03NDM0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Yes – Yesstory
Label: ATCO Records – 7567-91747-2
Format: 2 x CD, Compilation, Fatbox
Released: Sep 1991
Genre: Rock
Style: Prog Rock

music-magazine-prog-special-yes-first-edition-cover.jpg

My CD is the Joe Gastwirt master. I heard it last night, not bad to my ears. I also have the record but that will have seen better days.

There's a nice Classic Rock / Prog magazine special on Yes currently available. Picked up a copy last week.

I do like Close To The Edge, but it's not my favourite Yes album.
My favourite Yes album is ... The Yes Album!
Closely followed by Fragile.

Same here The Yes Album :)
Although my favourite discs are Keys to Ascension 1 & 2 , fantastic live recordings and note perfect , I eventually got around to listening to the new studio tracks on these albums and they are not to be dismissed .

Best Yes album I've heard (I can't claim to know them all) has to be Beverly Hills 90210

Loads of Trevor Horn. No Rick Wakeman.

The Yes Album, Fragile’s longer tracks, first side of TFTO (maybe another side too, I’d have to re-listen), Relayer, and the title track of Going For The One here.

Around 10 versions floating around here; one vinyl, a German pressing from mid-1970s definitely a repress, not a first edition. I'm sure I had two of them at one stage, the other being a UK pressing, but that also from mid-1970s, so probably a repress. I must have had a clearout at some stage, but don't recall when. I'm off to Discogs in a couple of minutes to see which one I do have ....

Various digitals; the Gastwirt remaster, Audio Fidelity SACD, 2003 remaster, Japanese SACD from memory, a host of others that are boxed up in the garage.

Don't think CttE was the first Yes I heard; I think that was "Looking Around", played on Freeman's Saturday Rock Show, but I'm ... fairly ... certain CttE was the first Yes I actually bought on album, having read up on them in the music and musician press of the day. And that would have been the UK pressing that's gone missing.

The Yes albums that get played most are the first three and 91025.

I'll just leave this here as proof of how much they kicked a**e when Pete Banks was on board.

Best Yes album I've heard (I can't claim to know them all) has to be Beverly Hills 90210

Loads of Trevor Horn. No Rick Wakeman.

I bought the single "Leave It", as a 12" from the Woolies' bargain bin, 'cos I'd heard "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and thought for 29p it was a bargain.

Imagine my surprise when my friend, Foxy, got Herbie Hancock's "Sound System" album and I heard this.

I thought it was pretty cool.

Don't think CttE was the first Yes I heard; I think that was "Looking Around", played on Freeman's Saturday Rock Show,

In my case, "Survival" from the Age of Atlantic sampler, followed by listening to The Yes Album on Kid Jenson's Sunday night Album Chart show on Luxembourg.

A much under-rated guitarist. His solo on Sweet Dreams is right up there with any of his sucessor's, especially if you can get hold of the uncut verion (T&aW Deluxe Version)

Very true- Banks had much of the jazz stylings that people laud Howe for.

Why so?
The organ parts are majestic and the opening sequence before the music starts is incredible at setting up the scene. Moog synth I believe.

Church organ for me. Had he done the later part on a Mellotron or even a Hammond it would have flowed so much better. The church organ just sounds like a brick wall the whole thing crashes into. Kills any groove stone dead.

If the Drake Equation is correct and there is life on other planets, and some of that life is intelligent, I’m prepared to bet my house there is no other planet anyone has ever tried sticking a bloody church organ into a rock track.

I think the church organ sounds fantastic on Parallels, but on CTTE I don't enjoy the whole slow section. I never really liked Wakeman that much because he didn't / couldn't play jazz. So when Moraz turns up I think they sounded great. Shame Eddie Jobson didn't stay. The lack jazz is I think why I have never loved Genesis.

advertisement

Back