advertisement

Animals 2018 remix

Animals never struck me as having a particularly 'busy' mix, so it'll be interesting to hear how it can be cleaned up.

It's 'cleaner' but not sure if it's actually better...........sounds like different instruments are being used! This is using Quboz.

Have been listening to it today. My fav PF album and must have listened to the original and remastered hundreds of times.
The remix takes away the compressed and dark sound of the original but adds so much more. It's a load more dynamic and brings out some hitherto unheard parts (especially Wrights keyboard parts).
Waters vocal on POtW Pt.1 one are noticeably dryer and more forward.
It's still the same piece of music, but presented differently. The production and mix of the original was quite 'individual' (i.e. heavily compressed and lacking in significant dynamics) which I think added to the claustrophobic feel of the album and match it's themes, however the remix breathes new life into it, Dogs almost sounds a bit jolly... Would be very interested for Waters or maybe someone like Steven Wilson to have a go at a few other PF albums.
There was a story doing the rounds a few years ago that on the completion off the recording of DSOTM, the band gave the recordings to a few different producers to mix and then chose the one they liked best for release... this of course raises the question of there being a few other mixes of DSOTM out there somewhere.
Maybe it is because original mix is so 'baked in' to my head after decades of listening, that I find this remix a difficult listen. Sonically it is undoubtedly an improvement, but as of yet for me, is not 'better' than the original mix. It feels that the essence of the album has been tampered with. I will continue to listen to the remix, so maybe for turning, but I doubt it. As for DSOTM, WYWH and the rest, I hope they leave well enough alone.

Delivery #2 has arrived with only a very slight warp so it'll get a clean in the Humminguru followed by a very hot night in the Vinyl Flat to take the last bit out.

My record has arrived four days early, thanks to Bezos & co. I ordered it Friday evening after work, and selected the slow free-shipping option. They delivered it today, a Sunday. Guess I've got some listening to do tonight.

Dug out my old copy in light of the reissue to have a listen, and I'm (still) severely underwhelmed by it. The longer tracks just seem to drone on, with no imperative to them. Pigs on the Wing is just busker-level guitar strumming with vocal.

Clearly, I'm the odd one out.

Animals isn't an album I know especially well, I've probably only listened to it two or three times, so I'm not best placed to notice the changes in the new remix. However, I listened to the original UK Harvest CD and 2018 Remix CD last night back-to-back and the remix smokes the original from a sound quality perspective. The blanket has been removed from Nick's drum kit, the improvement in clarity and dynamics is startling! I'd need to A/B each track forensically to spot all the differences but the main things that stuck out at me, other than the drums, were the removal of reverb from Water's vocal in the opening and closing tracks and the different placement of the barking dogs etc. I didn't notice anything massively controversial that would cause outrage to those who are wedded to the original mix...

Dug out my old copy in light of the reissue to have a listen, and I'm (still) severely underwhelmed by it. The longer tracks just seem to drone on, with no imperative to them. Pigs on the Wing is just busker-level guitar strumming with vocal.

Clearly, I'm the odd one out.
No you are not. I prefer the original mix, as I have listened to this mix for over forty years and that might have to do with my preference. Its as if the essence of the recording has been tampered with.

I just listened to the new surround mix (through my 4.0 speaker setup) and I thought it was excellent. Apart from some very dry vocals on Pigs on the wing 1 & 2, it was just excellent. Even somewhat revelatory!

The original was never one of my "goto" PF albums and has been played very little over the many years since release but this new (vinyl) mix I found quite uplifting and more musical so a bargain at the price.

However -

With all the money lavished on the technical and artistic sides to make a desirable product, why did they plonk it into a plain paper sleeve?

I bought the vinyl but it was noisy throughout particularly at the beginning of each side. I have now got a replacement copy but haven’t had a chance to try that yet.

Mike at The In Groove mentioned he was having a lot of quality issues with this one at the beginning of this week’s ‘new arrivals’ video:

Mike at The In Groove mentioned he was having a lot of quality issues with this one at the beginning of this week’s ‘new arrivals’ video:

The only quality issues he seems to mention is with the original mix/mastering AFAICS? Is that what you meant?

It's 'cleaner' but not sure if it's actually better...........sounds like different instruments are being used! This is using Quboz.

Listening now. It’s not just cleaner, it’s like a new performance. Animals has remained a firm favourite of mine since the day of release when I bought it, so this is something of a gift.

I cannot post without acknowledgment of @sideshowbob ’s post above though. I completely respect that point of view, but for me this is part of my childhood, and whatever RW’s views are today, this isn’t RW it’s PF. Hope that’s received in the way intended.

I can clearly hear Roger Waters denying genocide in the left channel, so I've sent it back.

Can you clarify this? I can’t remember much about Animals beyond at least one track was an obvious attack on Thatcher (Pigs I think). What was the ‘genocide’ thing? Waters strikes me as very much the liberal leftist, he’s very publicly supported Palestine, attacked Trump etc, in fact clips from his show are as overtly political as rock music gets. He certainly alienates a huge swathe of his US market, which is good to see.

Can you clarify this? I can’t remember much about Animals beyond at least one track was an obvious attack on Thatcher (Pigs I think). What was the ‘genocide’ thing? Waters strikes me as very much the liberal leftist, he’s very publicly supported Palestine, attacked Trump etc, in fact clips from his show are as overtly political as rock music gets. He certainly alienates a huge swathe of his US market, which is good to see.

He's an Assadist, and a useful idiot for Putin, he's a fellow traveller for fascism. An utter scumbag. His support for Palestine doesn't extend to opposing Assad, a mass killer of Palestinians. There is absolute nothing to admire in his politics, which are simple-minded red-brownism.

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/opinion/pink-floyds-co-founder-roger-waters-says-white-helmets-fake

https://www.fairplanet.org/editors-pick/roger-waters-undermines-syrias-last-shred-of-humanity/

https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/09...op-roger-waters-concerts-over-ukraine-stance/

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20210628-palestinians-tortured-to-death-by-assad-regime/

advertisement

Back