advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

Join the national day of action for Chris Kaba on Saturday.

• London, New Scotland Yard 12 noon
  • Brighton, 2pm, Brighton police station
  • Coventry, 12 noon, Broadgate CV1 1LL
  • Cardiff, 2pm, Cardiff Bay police station, James Street, CF10 5EW
  • Chesterfield, 11am, Town Hall
  • Manchester, 2pm, St Peter’s Square
  • Newcastle, 1pm, Grey’s monument
  • Oxford 1.30pm, Bonn Square

Yes, we all criticise the police and they regularly ( or it seems ) get things wrong. But let us not forget the difficult and sometimes dangerous job they do.
For example personal injuries to policemen up by 20 % this year I believe.

Overall the police do a fantastic job IMHO and I have upmost respect for them. They put their lives on the line every day to protect us, more so in certain areas. It’s a shame these 2 officers weren’t armed, seems they need to be. Understandably many officers wouldn’t want the responsibility. Imagine all the armchair expert critics who’ll never understand what it takes to make a split second call of judgement which can be analysed for years afterwards.

I’d much rather no one was killed at work. Statistically however, policing is far from the most dangerous job. Personal injury to officers, together with fatalities amongst police officers on active duty, are dwarfed by fatalities and severe injury in industries such as construction, fishing, agriculture and forestry.

The police kill far more people than police officers killed on active duty.

https://www.inquest.org.uk/deaths-in-police-custody

https://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/n...ighest-rate-deaths-work-related-accidents-uk/

https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/industry/construction.pdf

It’s great that those opining on the need for all police to carry guns aren’t armchair critics and understand all about split second judgements, firearms, killing and the like. Feel a lot safer knowing Ponty’s out there on the streets, taking on crime.

Reactions: Cav
Join the national day of action for Chris Kaba on Saturday.

• London, New Scotland Yard 12 noon
  • Brighton, 2pm, Brighton police station
  • Coventry, 12 noon, Broadgate CV1 1LL
  • Cardiff, 2pm, Cardiff Bay police station, James Street, CF10 5EW
  • Chesterfield, 11am, Town Hall
  • Manchester, 2pm, St Peter’s Square
  • Newcastle, 1pm, Grey’s monument
  • Oxford 1.30pm, Bonn Square

Before an enquiry / examination of video evidence. Interesting.

Before an enquiry / examination of video evidence. Interesting.

At the request of the family. The cops haven’t committed to releasing all of the video footage as yet, no doubt until they've all agreed their story. Only pressure will force a thorough and complete investigation...

At the request of the family. The cops haven’t committed to releasing all of the video footage as yet, no doubt until they've all agreed their story. Only pressure will force a thorough and complete investigation...

Isn’t that the IOPC function being undertaken now ?

Isn’t that the IOPC function being undertaken now ?

They need to be kept at the point of the sword - it took the a while to begin with, it was only after the press became involved that anything happened, initially the suspect was interviewed as a witness!

Are you in the slightest bit interested in what an investigation reports?

Are you in the slightest bit interested in what an investigation reports?

Only when the outcome is right - remember the Birmingham Six? They would have been hanged as the Tory judge dared to say when he sent them down.

Only when the outcome is right - remember the Birmingham Six? They would have been hanged as the Tory judge dared to say when he sent them down.

Far, far less in the way of evidence available back in those days. Right in your view presumably. Even if the videos show conclusive evidence that the vehicle was being used as a weapon against police officers?

Far, far less in the way of evidence available back in those days. Right in your view presumably. Even if the videos show conclusive evidence that the vehicle was being used as a weapon against police officers?

B*llocks - they beat the confessions out of them as they have always done. People were more intelligent then not dumbed down like now...

It is really sad as to what has happened. Again, pointless life lost.
Why did the policeman pull the trigger? Surely, it must be based on some intell? Also, if you have nothing to hide why runaway? I would have thought that by now - lessons would have been learnt after the Mark Duggan /Tottenham riots by the Met.

Overall the police do a fantastic job IMHO and I have upmost respect for them. They put their lives on the line every day to protect us, more so in certain areas. It’s a shame these 2 officers weren’t armed, seems they need to be. Understandably many officers wouldn’t want the responsibility. Imagine all the armchair expert critics who’ll never understand what it takes to make a split second call of judgement which can be analysed for years afterwards.

Yes many coppers do a wonderful job. They are nothing more than a reflection of the society from which they are recruited. Some are great, some are average, some are lazy, some have a shocking attitude. They are carrying out a difficult job often in difficult circumstances.

Just for background: in my day job I meet many police officers in a professional capacity. I also teach a number of police officers in my gym. A couple are armed response officers, one a sergeant who leads a team in a large city.

Meaningless platitudes aside, there are many officers I would not trust with a can of pepper spray never mind a gun.

advertisement

Back