advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that want to watch 'something else' over the weekend, GoodWood Revival is live all weekend. Some amazing cars.

BRM currently on track - glorious noise.

For those that want to watch 'something else' over the weekend, GoodWood Revival is live all weekend. Some amazing cars.

BRM currently on track - glorious noise.
Bugger. I started watching just as the BRM’s engine started to let its smoke out :(

correction: coolant.

Todays F1 can be amazing at times, but this is truly 'glorious' on so many levels.
That Bugatti at full chat, and the only one apart from the museum.

Money talks I suppose, but that horrible Magny Cours track didn't help.

We did not have a French GP after 2008 until its return in 2018 largely because of that circuit I believe. Unfortunately selection of venues is all about the money as you say and the trad circuits that have always funded themselves through ticket sales rather than government assistance have always struggled. Interesting that he USA can finance 3 races, not sure how long they can continue that with (still) no American drivers.

Interesting comments from Toto regarding Mercedes lack of the correct tools to fix their issues. I get the impression these are the tools that Ian has been talking about over the years. Maybe a consultancy opportunity for you Ian ;)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mercedes-lacked-tools-to-sort-w13-problem-quicker/10372233/
I have not talked to anyone at Merc about all this, but have talked to others at different teams and along with my understanding of vehicle performance can put together the likely scenario.

The wind tunnel data would not show any stall, due to a compliant floor for example. The wind tunnel metrics would not have been modified to give any indication of ground effect problems, and hence the development path followed would have gone into areas that were not stable in the chase for downforce.

The data from the wind tunnel supplied to the simulation users would not have shown what was required to predict the porpoising problems in advance. And hence the vehicle ride configuration would not have considered any possible porpoising.

Merc's aero solution continues to be a very low rake car. That means that the aero is more sensitive to ride height changes. This means that porposiing on their car would be worse than the high rake cars.

So in summary a series of mistakes, poor communication and poorly informed design decisions that took Merc quite some time to unravel and would have resulted in compromises in downforce and possibly ride to make the car work in a more effective operating window.

Definitely not a consultancy opportunity for me as the egos in charge would not want an outsider to come in and do their jobs! And more importantly I do not want to have to deal with some of the toxic egos that are in leadership positions down there. I am much happier being semi retired and choosing who I talk to and work with!

Too many races next year ,if it is on almost every week you begin to loose interest . When there were less races I really looked forward to them ! Unfortunately less races = less money , need I say more !

Too many races next year ,if it is on almost every week you begin to loose interest . When there were less races I really looked forward to them ! Unfortunately less races = less money , need I say more !

There does come a point where keeping up becomes a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back