advertisement

Rogers Ls3/6

eBay link here.

PS Link affiliation is part of pfm’s business model so please include them when commenting on eBay listings and items on Amazon.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has seen the Rogers Ls3/6 for sale on ebay for £1400,
they look like they have original bass units, would these be a good buy, i do not
know anything about this model, any help would be appreciated,
Regards, Peter
At that price, no. I had a pair that were 100% original and sold for about £800
My Spendor BC2's for sale would give them a run for their money, remarkably similar, at under half the price of these:)

Hi All,
they look like they have original bass units, would these be a good buy, i do not
Regards, Peter
They may well be fabulous, but I think it's sensible to ask a LOT of questions before spending money on old speakers with replaced diaphragms and suspensions. Especially on BBC monitors that were matched to extremely tight tolerances. I certainly wouldn't buy them without hearing them and would go prepared to walk away.

And £1400 seems a lot.

I recall these original Rogers BBC Monitors ( not sure if they had a model number ) had somewhat ‘fragile’
bass/mid. drivers.
Eventually changed to another model of driver, if my memory serves me correctly.

Perhaps ‘canonman’ knows more...

Later on on, Dalesford bass/mids. were used.
On the Export Monitor I believe.

I recall these original Rogers BBC Monitors ( not sure if they had a model number ) had somewhat ‘fragile’
bass/mid. drivers.
Eventually changed to another model of driver, if my memory serves me correctly.

Perhaps ‘canonman’ knows more...

Later on on, Dalesford bass/mids. were used.
On the Export Monitor I believe.
As far as I know Martyn, they always used the same bass drivers in the LS3/6 but you are correct in saying they were fragile. They had BBC/ Rogers stickers on the magnets.
The Daleford bass units were more reliable and used in the Compact Monitor and Export Monitor.

At that price, no. I had a pair that were 100% original and sold for about £800
My Spendor BC2's for sale would give them a run for their money, remarkably similar, at under half the price of these:)

Indeed they are remarkably similar.... Spendor BC2 bass units were used in early LS3/6's. The BBC actually used many more BC2's than LS3/6's.

Hi All,
Regards, Peter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23468549...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Add an extra £600 and you can buy my much better Stirling Broadcast LS3/6s :D

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/stirling-broadcast-ls3-6.238491/

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My favourite was Rogers Studio 7. An Andy Whittle redesign of the Studio 1. I sold mine to a film reviewer 20 years ago (can't recall his name but lived in The Barbican) who just loved them.

At that point there was no reason to keep the two tweeter design.

My Studio 7s compared very well with my BC1s.
The bass end was better defined than the Spendors, subjectively ‘tighter’ I thought.

The BC1s imaged better than the Rogers and the top end was slightly more ‘open, though
there wasn’t much in it.

It was the midrange where the BC1s were superior.

I’ve said it before, but there’s something special about the midrange of the
BC1.

I suppose if you compare the ones the OP was asking about to this recently completed auction for another pair, they don't seem quite so expensive.

By coincidence I'm picking up a pair of Rogers Studio 1 on Sunday. I've had this model before and regretted letting them go.

I suppose if you compare the ones the OP was asking about to this recently completed auction for another pair, they don't seem quite so expensive.

By coincidence I'm picking up a pair of Rogers Studio 1 on Sunday. I've had this model before and regretted letting them go.
Me too, new straight out of the factory at a silly price, great speakers

It is not meant to be a thread drift. But if a very old Rogers LS3/6 should cost 2/3 of a Stirling Broadcast only a few years old...well I have my SB LS3/6 since 2016 and I am still absolutely thrilled...both on Mcintosh C22CE with MC275 Mk4 and, and very impressively, on old restored Quad 34/306 as well as with my EAR 864 pre amp. I praise the SB LS3/6 also compared to my Tannoy Canterbury, Klipsch Vintage LaScala and Klipsch Underground Jubilees in terms of naturalness and sound image, of course not in terms of sound pressure. But that is less and less important to me in the third phase of life. The LS 3/6 also keep up very well in the mids compared to my SB LS 3/5a V2. If I would find original old LS 3/6 with still well-functioning Clestion midrange at a fair price, then I would consider a purchase. But I would have to hear and see them in person.

Well, if it a thread drift I have to say I’ve been tempted by the pair of Stirling LS3/6 speakers still for sale on PFM Classifieds.
I did say on the sale thread that if I could sell by BC1s I’d buy them, but I can’t let go of my Spendors.

They’ve been with me for approx. 40 years, so I know their strengths and weaknesses so well.
I have no doubt the Stirlings are superb, but my connection to the BC1s is so strong.
I just cannot let them go...

I notice the ls3/6 are back on at a reduced price, there is also a pair of rogers export monitors on but these have the wrong bass units.

advertisement

Back